What happened to Brian Lee?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lee is underrated by everyone else because they havn't watched him play.

And therein lies the problem. HF doesn't like to actually watch hockey. We must only break down meaningless statistics to tell us the value of each player in various leagues. Lee's style of game won't endear itself to the faithful despite its effectiveness if one does not actually watch the game. He is a bust but still one of Ottawa's best players in the latter stages of the year. Figure that one out.

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
I would say nothing happened to him, he was never that great a player ( top 10 good) if Muckler wasnt the worst drafting GM in history and lee had been picked in the 40's like he was expected he would be right where he should be ... maybe a little behind.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I would say nothing happened to him, he was never that great a player ( top 10 good) if Muckler wasnt the worst drafting GM in history and lee had been picked in the 40's like he was expected he would be right where he should be ... maybe a little behind.
He was not going to go in the 40's. McKenzie's TSN Rankings had him at 15 right before the draft. He was going to go in the 1st round, he was rising prior to the draft.

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
He was not going to go in the 40's. McKenzie's TSN Rankings had him at 15 right before the draft. He was going to go in the 1st round, he was rising prior to the draft.

Point to you i was looking at an out dated infor for that draft year........ you know that draft was awful .... i mean there were like 10 great players out of it but overall not that great. Lee at 15 wouldnt have been that bad even.

But Muckler still sucked at the draft table.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
But Muckler still sucked at the draft table.

Yup, when you take into account the poor talent evaluation and then add in how many times he rolled the dice on Russians (and lost EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.), he rather impressively destroyed the team's future single handedly before even letting Chara and Havlat walk for nothing but 1 year of Tom Priessing in one offseason.

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
Yup, when you take into account the poor talent evaluation and then add in how many times he rolled the dice on Russians (and lost EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.), he rather impressively destroyed the team's future single handedly before even letting Chara and Havlat walk for nothing but 1 year of Tom Priessing in one offseason.

I for one am really happy that we traded one year of havlat for one year of priessing.

what a great GM.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
He took like 7 minors in 50 games last season while being a physical defender, that is really good. Marc Staal, who the Senators passed on, took 24 minors in 77 games with zero majors.

I am really surprised stuff like that doesn't get more attention. Minors not attached to a fighting major = BAD

Is he playing the top line and top players every night like Staal?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Lee is getting overrated by Ottawa fans.

Why, because we're saying he's improved a lot as a shutdown D-man and has a chance to be a solid 5-6 guy? Heck, at this point he's looked good with Phillips in the 4 position, so how are we overrating him?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Is he playing the top line and top players every night like Staal?

Yes. He and Phillips took on the top shutdown role down the stretch in Ottawa and as I already said, he had some real standout games against Stamkos, St. Louis and Kovalchuk. The pairing was reminicent of Phillips-Volchenkov some nights.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Underrated by other fans, overrated by Sens fans. He's played well for like 20 games, and even then he's easily, EASILY replaceable by Cowen or Rundblad.

Just because he looked good in comparison to the other disastrous d-men we had last year doesn't mean he's now a solid Top 4 d-man. #5-#6 at best, and yes he is a bust for where he was picked.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
And therein lies the problem. HF doesn't like to actually watch hockey. We must only break down meaningless statistics to tell us the value of each player in various leagues. Lee's style of game won't endear itself to the faithful despite its effectiveness if one does not actually watch the game. He is a bust but still one of Ottawa's best players in the latter stages of the year. Figure that one out.

....One of your own said he's a bust

He's a bust, there's no doubt about it.

What's interesting is that he became a serviceable defensive defenceman after having been described as an offensive-type guy during his draft year. He's a 5-6 Dman,

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I dont like him but i can see him as a number 4 on most teams. He has no offense and doesnt hit but then again he is big and is a fluid skater who has a really good 1st pass.

He is between a puck mover and a shutdown guy which is why i dont like his status. he can find a role in this league though

TheOriginalSilf*

Say what you want about Brian Lee, I will always love him for one reason...

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Lee is a "bust" in terms of where he was drafted. Having that said, hes not that bad of a player. Hes a serviceable player with above average defensive skills, average first pass but zero offensive prowess. For example, his slap-shot is pretty weak, but his hockey sense is very evident.

Bottom line, Lee makes a rare defensive mistake but his offensive ability is lacking. Maybe, a Hal Gill lite?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Sens fan here to agree that he was a bust, in that he should've been a top-3 D at 9th overall. He hasn't been. He got drafted a bit higher than he should have and was not developed properly (in part because he was sent to the minors after his first successful NHL season, thereby losing his faith in management, and in part because he sulked about it, leading management to lose faith in him). Since then, he's been wasted potential. He's starting to show glimpses that he can still earn a role as a #4/5/6 guy, depending on how deep your team is (in Ottawa's case, he's the #4 on a rebuilding team).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad