What Excites You about Next Season?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Possible dominance of OHL. We have a lot of good prospects in the OHL, i just hope Speers and Zacha are near the league lead in points.

I think both have a real shot at doing that, assuming Zacha is in the OHL, not the NHL next year, which is obviously still up in the air. Speers actually did very well point wise last year, so it's not a blind hope that he could also have a strong performance this year. I just have a feeling that Speers could be a very good pick for us.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I just want to see hockey again.

Have some news going on so I have something to kill 2-3 hours a day.

Also hoping these prospect games in Buffalo will be streamed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Very excited for 3 on 3 overtime. I think we will see about half as many shootouts because of it.

Me too.
Way more open ice.

A few seasons ago there was a 3 on 3 in OT due to penalties and I could swear that Pete sent out Clowe and Zubrus together.
That was insane.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Very excited for 3 on 3 overtime. I think we will see about half as many shootouts because of it.

It will be interesting to see how Hynes uses the players during the 3 on 3. Do we go two forwards, one D, all three forwards, two d one forward?

I'm going go out on a limb here say that 3 on 3 eliminates about 80% of the shootouts. Anything can happen during a 3 on 3. Something as minuscule as a guy losing an edge automatically makes a 3 on 2 the other way and stuff like that.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It will be interesting to see how Hynes uses the players during the 3 on 3. Do we go two forwards, one D, all three forwards, two d one forward?

I'm going go out on a limb here say that 3 on 3 eliminates about 80% of the shootouts. Anything can happen during a 3 on 3. Something as minuscule as a guy losing an edge automatically makes a 3 on 2 the other way and stuff like that.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what Hynes does with the three on three format. Obviously, he has some experience with the format from his time in the AHL last season, so hopefully he can use the knowledge he gained from that for the Devils' advantage.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yeah, it will be interesting to see what Hynes does with the three on three format. Obviously, he has some experience with the format from his time in the AHL last season, so hopefully he can use the knowledge he gained from that for the Devils' advantage.

Cammo/Palmieri/Severson
Patty/Rico/Greene
Bouch/Travis/Lars

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Cammo/Palmieri/Severson
Patty/Rico/Greene
Bouch/Travis/Lars

faceoffs (especially Dzone ones) will be a huge factor in the new format…cant let the other team gain possession with all the space they will have to make things happen.

from the list above only zajac and henrique are better than 50% …patty and camm are brutal and palms and bouch dont even take them.

edit: forgot to mention it gets worse with the new faceoff rule where the defending player has to put his stick into the draw first

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
faceoffs (especially Dzone ones) will be a huge factor in the new format…cant let the other team gain possession with all the space they will have to make things happen.

from the list above only zajac and henrique are better than 50% …patty and camm are brutal and palms and bouch dont even take them.

edit: forgot to mention it gets worse with the new faceoff rule where the defending player has to put his stick into the draw first

Devils really do need more players that are better at taking face-offs. :help:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Well, not sure who we have that's good on faceoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cammo/Palmieri/Severson
Patty/Rico/Greene
Bouch/Travis/Lars
Meh Hynes has already said he goes with 2 D and 1 F in 3 on 3 usually.

I used to hang Pete for never using 2 or 3 forwards in 4 on 4, though mostly because a shootout was almost a guaranteed loss with us the last 2 or 3 years. He never seemed to wanna take a chance.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
What if Hynes turns out to be an ultra conservative?

Then he'll be labeled an idiot and people will call for his head.:laugh:

I do recall listening to an interview somewhere saying teams actually had more success in the AHL 3-on-3 going with 2 D and 1 F than 1 D and 2 F. But I think that was about halfway through the season, so it probably wasn't the largest sample size.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
Then he'll be labeled an idiot and people will call for his head.:laugh:

I do recall listening to an interview somewhere saying teams actually had more success in the AHL 3-on-3 going with 2 D and 1 F than 1 D and 2 F. But I think that was about halfway through the season, so it probably wasn't the largest sample size.

Also our team strength is the D and we have mediocre forwards. So sending out 2 D seems to be the right call anyway.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What if Hynes turns out to be an ultra conservative?

What exactly do you mean by ultra conservative? An ultra conservative how? With his usage of young players? Not taking any chances and being ultra conservative defensively?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Here's one thing to be excited about...an open practice on a WEEKEND (and not a holiday) :P

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Looking forward to the progression of the young dmen the most. After that, seeing how Zacha does if he makes the team, the progression of Rico and seeing how JJ and Palmeri look this season.

kiwidevil

What exactly do you mean by ultra conservative? An ultra conservative how? With his usage of young players? Not taking any chances and being ultra conservative defensively?

Both of those things. Just because he says he wants them fast doesn't mean he doesn't want to be defensive. Then chuck in PL3 playing 60 games in the NHL this year, with Gionta and Tootoo playing top 6.

I will laugh so hard if he plays the team the basic exact same way as Deboer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad