What Excites You about Next Season?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Since I'm an eternal optimist, I figured that I'd start a thread devoted to being positive about the team going into next year. I thought it would be cool if Devils fans had a friendly place to share what makes them happy going into next season. To start, here's a list of things (in no particular order) of things that excite me going into next season:

1) Cory Schneier should be a beast again. I love being able to watch an elite goalie like Cory, and he's just a very comforting presence to have in the net. Love having him on the team.

2) Adam Larsson, because of his strong finish last season and his shiny new, long-term contract, should be feeling more confident going into next season than he has since his rookie year. Larsson's confidence has always been a struggle for him, so it will be awesome to see what he can do when he believes in himself. I think a confident Larsson will reward the faith the Devils showed him with that contract by having a great season. He should prove that the second half of last season was no fluke, and that he can be a special defenseman for the Devils for a long time.

3) Damon Severson should continue to show why he's a stud. Some hiccups wouldn't surprise me in his sophomore season, but I think Damon will continue to demonstrate his smooth skating, excellent offensive instincts, and poised demeanor. This kid has "great defenseman" written across his forehead, and I'm going to enjoy watching him develop this season.

4) Kyle Palmieri should be a treat to watch. A Jersey boy comes home and he's been coached by Hynes before. I think Kyle will be a valuable part of our forward corps next season and that with increased ice time relative to what he had in Anaheim, he should be able to produce more. This is a year where we could see if Kyle can become a part of the Devils core.

5) Some new, young blood will be injected into the forward corps. Related to the Palmieri point, but I think it will be exciting to see what Matteau, who brought a nice physical dimension and better skating as well as a feeling that he could actually score to the line-up in his short NHL stint last season, can do in the NHL this year. It should also be exciting if Josefson can swim (and not sink) with a larger role. Some other young forwards have a shot at making the team out of camp, and should be fun to watch. At least they should be faster than the slugs we've had in the past...

Now it's your turn. What excites you about next season?

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
All of the same but I'll also include:

- The ability to have Zajac with two good goalscorers. Hopefully he can return to some form that resembles a 1C.

- The addition of John Moore. Castron talked about him a little as well so I think he might be a cool project for Hynes. Who really knows though?

Rob Nieds work ethic

Swarm it up Devils!
Aug 17, 2007
Seeing if enough young players will take another step to make this team perhaps contend for a playoff spot. I very much doubt it will happen as soon as next season though.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to see what Lou does with the Leafs.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
All of the same but I'll also include:

- The ability to have Zajac with two good goalscorers. Hopefully he can return to some form that resembles a 1C.

- The addition of John Moore. Castron talked about him a little as well so I think he might be a cool project for Hynes. Who really knows though?

It would be great if Zajac could rebound this year and get his production back to even acceptable levels playing with two goal scorers. A bounce-back season for Zajac would make me extremely happy.

John Moore seems to have a lot of talents; the biggest issue apparently is his hockey IQ. It should be interesting to see what Hynes can do with him next season. He's still young enough that he has room to grow as a player.

GhostofKenKlee

See if Hynes coaching translates to the NHL. Having the youngest coach in the league and his success parlay to this level.

Who is no longer with the team
Who is brought in.
Zacha if he makes the team.

The team getting back to competent production and level play.

Henrique
Zajac
Elias- bounce back season?

Larrson-IF he's the real deal.

The play of the young defenders under the guise of Alain Nasserdiene versus Stevens.

This team reminds me alot of the Rangers when Lundqvist emerge, they can sneak into the playoffs on the back of great goaltending.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Seeing if enough young players will take another step to make this team perhaps contend for a playoff spot. I very much doubt it will happen as soon as next season though.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to see what Lou does with the Leafs.

We can always hope. :)

See if Hynes coaching translates to the NHL. Having the youngest coach in the league and his success parlay to this level.

Who is no longer with the team
Who is brought in.
Zacha if he makes the team.

The team getting back to competent production and level play.

Henrique
Zajac
Elias- bounce back season?

Larrson-IF he's the real deal.

The play of the young defenders under the guise of Alain Nasserdiene versus Stevens.

This team reminds me alot of the Rangers when Lundqvist emerge, they can sneak into the playoffs on the back of great goaltending.

Like all rookie coaches, Hynes is a question mark, but he left a positive impression with me based on what he said and did at development camp. I also think it's neat that he has experience working with guys like Merrill, Palmieri, Schneider, and Gionta. That's a good chunk of our team that already has played for him and is familiar with him.

Zacha should be a bright spot regardless of where he plays next season. I can't believe I forgot to include him. :amazed:

I'd be so ecstatic if the Devils could sneak into the playoffs because of Cory being awesome. Playoff experience would be huge for our young players, and I'd love to see what Henrique could do if he was brought back there.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1. Toronto missing the playoffs. ( :eviltongu Lou )

2. Elias turning 40 in style to end his HHOF-worthy career.:thumbu: (50 points and a Lady Byng finalist nomination is all I ask).

3. The blueline somehow by some miracle not sucking!:crossfing (21 year old sophomore Severson to shine ? .... !)

4. Henrique & Schneider carrying the team and becoming the leaguewide stars they ought to be! :yo:

5. Squeak into the playoffs or else be in position for a top-2 pick. :walrus:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What excites me the most? Simply put, the offseason from hell ends.

This has been the worst offseason for me in a while. I hope the next 6 weeks until training camp goes by faster than the snap of fingers. I don't care about summer either. It's summer here until December. I get summer from March until December.

Can't take the offseason anymore. Just let it begin already! At least I got two weeks of vacations coming up after next week to speed things alone!

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
1. Toronto missing the playoffs. ( :eviltongu Lou )

2. Elias turning 40 in style to end his HHOF-worthy career.:thumbu: (50 points and a Lady Byng finalist nomination is all I ask).

3. The blueline somehow by some miracle not sucking!:crossfing (21 year old sophomore Severson to shine ? .... !)

4. Henrique & Schneider carrying the team and becoming the leaguewide stars they ought to be! :yo:

5. Squeak into the playoffs or else be in position for a top-2 pick. :walrus:

Nice list and love the emoticons. :handclap:

What excites me the most? Simply put, the offseason from hell ends.

This has been the worst offseason for me in a while. I hope the next 6 weeks until training camp goes by faster than the snap of fingers. I don't care about summer either. It's summer here until December. I get summer from March until December.

Can't take the offseason anymore. Just let it begin already! At least I got two weeks of vacations coming up after next week to speed things alone!

I can't wait for hockey season to start either, and I'm not really a big summer person. Weather is too hot and humid for me. Autumn and spring are my favorites.

The start of a new era.

Hopefully it begins well. :)

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Call me an eternal optimist as well because I think we're more of a threat to make the playoffs than last season. Doesn't mean we will but I also don't think I'll be studying the draft as much come November like last season. I'm excited about watching the kids grow in a system that, according to Shero and Hynes, is going to work on growing the kids and not banishing them to the pressbox for every mistake. I'm excited to not have a team largely made up of slow, declining vets. Some vet presence is necessary but we were old and slow to a painful point. I like where we are now and where we are heading even more. I'm excited to see JJ get a legit shot at making it. I'm excited at the direction/philosophy of the team and the way that Shero has made this team better by leaps and bounds in his short tenure here. Addition by subtraction probably being his smartest move, that and Palmieri but I also have a sneaky suspicion on Moore. Overall, this will be a fun season for me because I know we're headed in the right direction. Last year was like watching a dumpster fire with no hope of improvement. This year, we may not rack up the wins but at least we're moving in the direction that will hopefully make us the contenders we once were again.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Larsson, Severson.

Possibility of Matthews, Pujuljarvi, Tkachuk while watching the young d grow.

Watching Larsson and Severson should be great. I'm looking forward to that.

Call me an eternal optimist as well because I think we're more of a threat to make the playoffs than last season. Doesn't mean we will but I also don't think I'll be studying the draft as much come November like last season. I'm excited about watching the kids grow in a system that, according to Shero and Hynes, is going to work on growing the kids and not banishing them to the pressbox for every mistake. I'm excited to not have a team largely made up of slow, declining vets. Some vet presence is necessary but we were old and slow to a painful point. I like where we are now and where we are heading even more. I'm excited to see JJ get a legit shot at making it. I'm excited at the direction/philosophy of the team and the way that Shero has made this team better by leaps and bounds in his short tenure here. Addition by subtraction probably being his smartest move, that and Palmieri but I also have a sneaky suspicion on Moore. Overall, this will be a fun season for me because I know we're headed in the right direction. Last year was like watching a dumpster fire with no hope of improvement. This year, we may not rack up the wins but at least we're moving in the direction that will hopefully make us the contenders we once were again.

Great post. I like the way you think. Eternal optimists, unite! :5:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Not much, to be perfectly honest.

My fan excitement level is really only there if I believe the team has a chance to win the cup, and next year's team cant win it all. So I'll watch, and participate as a diehard fan, etc... but am I excited? No.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Not much, to be perfectly honest.

My fan excitement level is really only there if I believe the team has a chance to win the cup, and next year's team cant win it all. So I'll watch, and participate as a diehard fan, etc... but am I excited? No.

Sorry you're not excited for next year:( I'm sure we all wish that this team could be a contender again. Hopefully that happens sometime soon.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
Excited by the chance that this defense is going to play out of their mind along with Cory to put the Devils in playoff contention.

Tempered by the reality that these owners think being losing losers like the sixers is a model for success.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I don't mean to turn the positivity negative, but I'm really excited for no Deboer. :laugh:

EDIT: Ok, we'll rephrase that as "I'm excited to see what Hynes will do with an NHL team." :nod:

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
excited to see who will be better, jets or devils? or mets in the playoffs during hockey? :sarcasm:

or which part of the week my remote gets thrown at the screen. Sundays or weeknights

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

I absolutely 100% agree with you. Removing guys like Salvador and Fraser and Harrold from the equation is gonna make a big difference, I think. And Hynes seems like the kind of guy that won't shoehorn role players into top-6 spots just because he thinks he needs one there.

That's really one of the things I'm excited most about next season. I know it won't necessarily mean better performance from anyone, but I really hope Zajac and Henrique get some real, stable linemates for next season. No more Zubrus, no more Tootoo, no more Gionta.

I'm wary of the beginning of the year, though. The 2012 team had the makings of a really good team, and even that team stumbled pretty hard out of the gate. Lots of roster turnover, new coach, it was kind of inevitable. I think next season could be similar in that respect. But I personally believe losing is more exciting if it's conjunction with all our young players developing and learning from their mistakes.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't mean to turn the positivity negative, but I'm really excited for no Deboer. :laugh:

You and me both! But of course he now will haunt my second favorite team, since Doug Wilson had a nervous breakdown and decided to hire him.:cry:

I'm also excited for no Oates too!

And add no Mark Fraser and Dainius Zubrus to that as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad