Post-Game Talk: What else is there to say... Leafs lose 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Thx, oh well
His size-speed combo should help (Panik)
Despite not seeing the first 2 games, I get the sense with all the changes (despite keeping the core) that the chemistry isnt there yet with the team
On paper we look a little bit better than last yr, but with Kessel and Bernier rusty it could be tough going for a bit
The schedule doesnt help playing 4 good teams at the start

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He lets in soft goals every game. I don't think he is much better than Reimer.

I would like to see him prove that he is the go to guy that steals games and carries teams into the playoffs. Bernier simply does not steal games.

I find it very funny that everyone seems to forget that it was Reimer that carried Toronto into the playoffs and came with 10 min of beating Boston in round 1. Reims absolutely stole games 5 and 6 in that series... armed robbery! Yet everyone throws him to the wolves.

Bernier has played poorly so far IMO he also stole almost every game we won with him last year.

Remier was unfairly thrown under the bus by many yahoos, agree with you there. But the odds of him having a better career than Bernier are near zero IMO. Bernier has good technique and it's easy to see him as a consistent high performer. Reimer, not so much.

Last edited:

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I was at the game. First game in three years! Not good times...

Kessel was embarrassing. Dion was totally ineffective. Holland may very well be the least intense player I've ever seen. Bernier wasn't great.

Our best defensemen were Rielly and Percy.

This team just stinks. My investment in the team is at an all-time low.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I was at the game. First game in three years! Not good times...

Kessel was embarrassing. Dion was totally ineffective. Holland may very well be the least intense player I've ever seen. Bernier wasn't great.

Our best defensemen were Rielly and Percy.

This team just stinks. My investment in the team is at an all-time low.

How was the crowd after that guy threw his jersey on the ice?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Expecting anything like this just sets you for disappointment.

Better to expect a performance like last night. It's what we should expect.

Well, these guys always talk about "we have to be better", "we have to have a better effort", "it's unacceptable" etc.. I want to see these guys walk the walk. Imagine if they lose again tonight by a similar score? It won't be pretty for them once they come back to Toronto tomorrow morning. Maybe they could be motivated by that? Try to avoid the **** storm.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
We have played two very good teams, that should have beat us and they did, it's not a big surprise.

Tonight we take on another good team and I hope we can stay with the Rangers and give them all they can handle.

We have had a brutal schedule, taking on all the best teams in the East to start the season, our team has not had a chance to gel and come together and all the penalties we took last night shows their frustration as well as ours, with the Leafs jersey thrown on the ice.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
lmao you think THIS is on RC??? omg:shakehead

It is as much on him as it is on the "flat" top line. Apparently, as much as our bottom 6 has improved, they cannot be trusted against the Malkin-Crosby-Holquist line. Obviously, we need to use Kessel's line against them. The Leafs got Crosbied.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We have played two very good teams, that should have beat us and they did, it's not a big surprise.

Tonight we take on another good team and I hope we can stay with the Rangers and give them all they can handle.

We have had a brutal schedule, taking on all the best teams in the East to start the season, our team has not had a chance to gel and come together and all the penalties we took last night shows their frustration as well as ours, with the Leafs jersey thrown on the ice.

Losing on Wednesday wasn't overly bad. We had good stretches of play and it was an acceptable loss, if that make sense. A few different bounces and we're in for a point or even a win.

Losing like last night so early in the season when that's what we've witnessed for 90% of the season last year is unacceptable, no matter which team we are playing. There's no way this team should be dominated in every which way and let out over 40 shots, especially not after the interviews that said they would not repeat last years results.

Blaming the schedule right now is just... ... ... a bad excuse.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
49 million for Phaneuf… good God Nonis, please just quit. Kessel got his big deal and now he's just cruising, he won't be playing hard anymore. Thanks Phil....

Actually, I think Kessel worked harder in this game than most I've seen from him before. He just couldn't skate, pass, shoot or take decent decisions.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It is as much on him as it is on the "flat" top line. Apparently, as much as our bottom 6 has improved, they cannot be trusted against the Malkin-Crosby-Holquist line. Obviously, we need to use Kessel's line against them. The Leafs got Crosbied.

Ironically, last year, The Bozak-Kessel-JVR line outplayed the Crosby line.

I recall one game in Pitt they were +3 against them in a game last year while scoring 4 goals. What has happened in a year? Anyone's guess?

All the more, it just proves this team cannot win without the #1 line. They can have a better bottom 6, a better #2 line, and it will not matter.

If Bernier continues his malaise, then nothing matters I suppose.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
At the end of the day the leads are still... A team with a GM that bleeds talent, a coach that is out of touch and a superstar winger that is with child.

No good will come of this.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

I recall one game in Pitt they were +3 against them in a game last year while scoring 4 goals. What has happened in a year? Anyone's guess?

All the more, it just proves this team cannot win without the #1 line. They can have a better bottom 6, a better #2 line, and it will not matter.

If the current #1 line continues it's play, it will cease to exist. Which may be for the better.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

That line pretty much got dummied along the boards forcing them to take penalties (even if some were pretty soft calls considering some of the stuff that went on in the 3rd).

As a coach, it is his job to assess the effectiveness of his dumb matchups in real-time. He decided to sit on gis thumb instead, and only part way through the 3rd did he try to get Kessel away from the matchup. At that point, why bother?

It's like the guy has a decent set of tools, but keeps using the screwdriver to hammer in nails.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If the current #1 line continues it's play, it will cease to exist. Which may be for the better.

Which just proves the point many made last season, this summer, and today.

If the #1 line, Phaneuf, and Bernier do not play well. THis team is in trouble as they were late last season and early this season.

If the refrain is Gardiner is our best d man late last season, or the Kadri or Santorelli line were our best lines. I know one thing, we are not winning many games.

Just proves succinctly just who the best players on this team really are.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

If the #1 line, Phaneuf, and Bernier do not play well. THis team is in trouble as they were late last season and early this season.

If the refrain is Gardiner is our best d man late last season, or the Kadri or Santorelli line were our best lines. I know one thing, we are not winning many games.

When 50% of your payroll underperforms, yes, you're in trouble.

Groundbreaking discovery.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I'm not going to get into the overpaid stars that are not performing. I have stated my opinions enough on not liking the core make-up and how much we paid and committed to them. Also, hard to blame Franson (for those who always do)this time for the poor defence after the first two games. 4.5 gag...worse then when Franson plays.

Line combo's is one thing I wanted changed and still do. They need to be more balanced with speed and aggression/determination.

Would like to see this for tonights game against NYR...and stick with it a bit.

Lupul Bozak Kessel
JVR Kadri Clarkson
Komarov Holland Santorelli
Panik Winnik Kozun

Top 3 lines all have a player with some grit (lupul, Clarkson, Komarov) and one with speed/skill (Kessel, JVR, Santo).

Phaneuf Robidas
Rielly Polak
Percy Franson

Time for Gardiner to have a seat and watch a game.imo

Play Reimer and give Bernier a rest.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Isn't this what separates good teams from bubble teams? Good teams can win if their goalie has an off night or if their star players are running cold? I think it's something called depth?

It's not exactly rocket science what you're preaching, it's what everybody already knew.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Isn't this what separates good teams from bubble teams? Good teams can win if their goalie has an off night or if their star players are running cold? I think it's something called depth?

It's not exactly rocket science what you're preaching, it's what everybody already knew.

No team is going to win many games when their #1 defensemen, entire top line, and starting goalie play poorly at the same time. He's congratulating himself for making a non-point. If your 5 most important players don't perform you lose. Herp derp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad