What does your 2018 Hockey hall of fame class look like?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
To me, Fleury was clearly a better player than Alfredsson

Turgeon deserves induction as well

I agree with this the bolded statement. Fleury's production and talent was too often overlooked because of his abrasiveness.
I don't agree with Turgeon getting in. Of course, given the Hall's past, it wouldn't surpise me if a bunch of non-legends, good but not outstanding players get in. Usually happens.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Just Martin Brodeur
What's the argument for any of them over Turgeon?
How about none of them, except for Brodeur.

Brodeur is the only real Hall-worthy player of the bunch. With a little arm twisting, I can see a two-time Art Ross winner, one time Hart and Stanley Cup winning Martin St. Louis as well. With enough rye and cokes, maybe Theo Fleury too. That's it.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It would be in the builder category, not as a player.
I don't see how. Aren't "builders" the management, owners, etc? As much as I think it's important to recognize his history as a role model in order to promote hockey to all people, having him named to the Hall would really be just a massive case of politically correct posturing. If you are a player, you should be truly great to make it to the Hall. He can have a display and a presence at the Hall, like Paul Henderson does, without being a member.

Edit: Okay, I read up on this a bit and perhaps there is a spot for O'Ree to go in as a builder for his "presence" the past ten years or so. I'm still on the fence with this, though. Really, all he's done is show up at functions that he's been invited to and wave at people. Very nice man, and all hockey fans should know his name. I'm just really on the fence with him being in the Hall.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Does Turgeon not coming off the bench in that famous brawl with the Soviets have any effect on the voters?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Marty Brodeur
Martin St. Louis

Really on the fence with Turgeon. Could go either way with him

Zubov deserves to go in. Not sure he will this year

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Brodeur
St. Louis
Alfredsson
Zubov

For another year: Larmer, Fleury

Maybe for another year: Mogilny, Roenick
Meh. Steve Larmer was a good player, but if he gets inducted, then you have to induct guys like Leclair, Tkachuk, Propp, Damphousse, etc. Anyone with over 400 goals should be inducted.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Larmer was an outstanding all around player. Great defensive play. Good offensive production. Just never flashy in any way.

Retired at 33 and still looked like he could still play in lockout 95 season. Actually he probably would've benefited from some compiler years and perhaps another Cup run

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Housley is the worst defenseman in the Hall and Zubov's individual accolades are worse than his. I don't see him ever going in. For some reason, the Hall also seems to be harder on defensemen than they're on forwards. Not to mention goaltenders where the standards are extremely high.

Although all of above could be questioned by the inclusion of Phil Housley, I guess.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Housley is the worst defenseman in the Hall and Zubov's individual accolades are worse than his. I don't see him ever going in. For some reason, the Hall also seems to be harder on defensemen than they're on forwards. Not to mention goaltenders where the standards are extremely high.

Although all of above could be questioned by the inclusion of Phil Housley, I guess.

Difficulty striking a balance between the one and two goalie system goalies.

Since the mid 1970s, it is acceptable for a starter(the #1 goalie)to play 60-80% of RS games then virtually all of the playoff games until eliminated or winning the SC.

How does the selection committee view goalies who in their prime were not critical to their teams success 20-40% of the time?

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

The thought of Zubov going in the Hall is ridiculous.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Curtis Joseph, Manon Rheaume, Martin Brodeur, Tim Thomas, Tom Barrasso.

I mean, maybe Martin St. Louis, but we really don’t need to rush into inducting someone like Daniel Alfredsson while there’s a more historically significant 454 Win goaltender on deck. And a 2x Vezina winner with a Conn Smythe. And a 2x Stanley Cup champion and 3x All-Star who could find a starting job for 15 years.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I equate the Hall to this...

It should be as difficult and rare as a 5 goal game. However, it's let a lot of people in who scored two goals and then a third into an empty net.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Curtis Joseph, Manon Rheaume, Martin Brodeur, Tim Thomas, Tom Barrasso.

I mean, maybe Martin St. Louis, but we really don’t need to rush into inducting someone like Daniel Alfredsson while there’s a more historically significant 454 Win goaltender on deck. And a 2x Vezina winner with a Conn Smythe. And a 2x Stanley Cup champion and 3x All-Star who could find a starting job for 15 years.
Manon Rheaume was a gimmick.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Seems like a good year to play catch up with some forgotten stars

Brodeur is a lock, but besides him you've got Joseph, Turgeon, Fleury, Tremblay

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
From 2000-2004, Alfredsson posted 5 straight seasons of similar production.

He was 1 of only 9 players to be a PPG or better (cut off 250 points, sorted by PPG):
Forsberg, Jagr, Sakic, Palffy, Bure, Naslund, Demitra, Alfredsson, Thornton

That list seems to have some pretty big names.

PPG - Common Linemates (Martin liked to keep C-RW duos together and flip LW's)
1.04 - Prospal - McEachern/Zamuner
1.03 - Yashin - McEachern
0.91 - White - Arvedson/McEachern (lowest PPG, but highest GPG of the 5 seasons)
1.00 - White - Avedson/...mix
1.04 - White - Schaefer/ Smolinski

Those weren't great linemates. One season with Yashin is the best linemate by far and Alfredsson posted a season that looks like all of the others during it.

Also, do you remember Naslund from his peak years during the West Coast Express? It occurred during these seasons, which is why he made the list above.
2000-2004
Naslund = 1.06 PPG
Alfredsson = 1.00 PPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here's 2006-2009, because it was on your mind (note that scoring was higher post-lockout):
1.34 - Spezza - Heatley
1.13 - Fisher - Schaefer
1.27 - Spezza - Heatley
0.94 - Spezza - Heatley (low because having Craig Hartsburg as coach was worse than having Spezza & Heatley as linemates)

For the 5 seasons from 2000-2004, you saw that he was tied for 8th in PPG (250+ points). In the 5 seasons from 2006-2010 mostly playing with great linemates, Alfredsson finished 6th in PPG.
Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, Malkin, Jagr, Alfredsson, Spezza, Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk

Like I said, the difference between them is minimal, but I think Fleury at his best was clearly better

For example, prime Fleury gets an 8 out 10 rating, Alfredsson would be right there in the 7.5 - 7.9 range

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Brodeur, St. Louis and Yakushev. Bettman and O'Ree as builders.

Soviet players are not my strongest suit. Is Yakushev a good pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad