What does your 2018 Hockey hall of fame class look like?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/145792753/

de8.jpg

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I remember him as one of those good players behind the more famous first line players. He scored in heaps , 60 goals in 80 games in World Championships for instance. There are worse players inducted in HOF.

Reactions: Sentinel

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Maybe I am off here, but somehow the Yakushev pick is an induction of a Soviet player that somehow makes the HHOF look even more North America-centric.

Ha, thats exactly what i was going to post in here. This pretty much confirms the NA centric view of the HOF. No way was Yakushev considered better by the Soviets or Europeans in general compared to Mikhailov, Petrov, Vasiliev, and Maltsev among the 70s Soviets.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Shouldn't Krutov be in or no? I don't know much about him but from what I've read, it seems like he should be in.

JKM

Jul 23, 2009
Selection committee did a good job this year. Worthy nominees. Same can't be said about Professional Hockey Writers' Association. Larry Brooks is not the first name that comes to mind when I think of ”distinguished members of the newspaper profession whose words have brought honour to journalism and to hockey”.

It seems like Don Cherry doesn't have too many fans in the selection committee. Hopefully they will induct more Soviets and Czechoslovakians in the coming years.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Though of course, even with all that said, Yakushev is still a worthy nominee.

Yes I'm not complaining about his induction given that European greats pre-NHL are sorely underrepresented, but more marveling that Yakushev was inducted before various other better and even more famous (though I guess not in North America) players from that region.

Reactions: Batis

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Maybe I am off here, but somehow the Yakushev pick is an induction of a Soviet player that somehow makes the HHOF look even more North America-centric.

Ha bascially. I was actually fine with the HHOF closing its doors to Soviets after Makarov was finally inducted. It would then just be the case that the standard for non-NHL-prime Euros would be a lot higher than for NHLers.

But Yakushev opens a door. Is it a door to clearly better Soviets like Firsov, Mikhailov, Petrov, Maltsev, and (if you ignore his cheeseburger years) Krutov? Or is it a door to Paul Henderson because "it's unfair to induct Yakushev because of '72 and not Henderson."

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
Housley is the worst defenseman in the Hall and Zubov's individual accolades are worse than his. I don't see him ever going in. For some reason, the Hall also seems to be harder on defensemen than they're on forwards. Not to mention goaltenders where the standards are extremely high.

Although all of above could be questioned by the inclusion of Phil Housley, I guess.

Its worth noting individual accolades aren't handed out by objective hockey gods, most of them are voted by the PHWA morons

Rob Blake Norris Season 97-98: 81 GP, 23/27/50, 94 PIMS

Zubov 97-98: 73 GP, 10/47/57, 16 PIMS

Zubov's statline isn't that much different than Blake's. Blake won the Norris, Zubov was 10th or so. Was Blake that much better defensively than Zubov to warrant this gap? I dunno, before my time. But just going off the stats, Zubov is in my HHOF

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
BTW, some of you guys might remember, from previous discussions on this subject, that I called this one.

I knew Yak would take precedent over others. That SS performance stands out.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I remember how good Yakushev was in 1972 but I wasn't really aware that the likes of Petrov and Maltsev were generally more highly regarded. With that in mind I would have preferred that a different Soviet era player had been chosen. Firsov would be my choice.

As far as Paul Henderson is concerned I'm hopeful that he'll never be allowed near the Hall of Fame without purchasing a ticket.

Just for the record I'm disappointed that J.C. Tremblay was, once again, passed over.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Perhaps the most interesting thing about Willie O'Ree's on-ice career is that he played his entire professional career - which lasted over 20 years - almost completely blind in his right eye. He took a slapshot in the eye when he was playing junior. The doctor told Willie that, unfortunately, his hockey career was over, but Willie didn't tell anybody and found that he could still play with sight in only his left eye. Incredibly, he played left wing without use of his right eye.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Brodeur and St. Louis, for sure. I'd have been shocked if they had gotten passed over. Yakushev is a bit of a surprise but I can live with him in there. Oh, by the way, didn't Jayna Hefford get into the women's wing? I know, I know, but I thought I'd mention it at least.

O'Ree probably didn't get in because he is the first black player. I know people think that, but that isn't where he made an impact. It was his grassroots programs that got him in there. The "first black" player didn't hurt either, but he was the first black player for 60 years and they didn't put him in. I am guessing his work at the minor league level is what did it.

Bettman............ugh. If you are a commish or President you are getting in. Bug Selig is in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Someday Roger Goodell will be in Canton. It isn't something you can avoid.

I am wondering when they are going to put Fleury in though. Are they going to go the Pete Rose avenue where they are literally waiting for him to die just to sort of "stick it to him" so that he doesn't get the satisfaction to see it while he's alive? I don't know. But he belongs. Tremblay, Barrasso and I guess to a lesser extent Alfredsson will have to wait.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Martin Brodeur: Yes
Martin St. Louis: Yes
Alexander Yakushev: Don't know enough about him, I'll judge it when I learn more about him
Jayna Hefford: I'd prefer Cassie Campbell, but I can't complain
Willie O'Ree: Yes, as a builder he absolutely deserves it
Garry Bettman: (Boo!) Not yet, sometime after he retires, but not now

Hopefully Alfie and Fleury get in next year

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Its worth noting individual accolades aren't handed out by objective hockey gods, most of them are voted by the PHWA morons

Zubov's statline isn't that much different than Blake's. Blake won the Norris, Zubov was 10th or so. Was Blake that much better defensively than Zubov to warrant this gap? I dunno, before my time. But just going off the stats, Zubov is in my HHOF

i’m reading that first sentence and i’m nodding my head. every subsequent line gives me more and more pause. then i read the last line and i’m like, glass houses man.

As far as Paul Henderson is concerned I'm hopeful that he'll never be allowed near the Hall of Fame without purchasing a ticket.

paul henderson should never ever have to buy a ticket if he wants to visit the hall of fame. he can’t stay after it closes at 5pm but he should always be on the comp list.

O'Ree probably didn't get in because he is the first black player. I know people think that, but that isn't where he made an impact. It was his grassroots programs that got him in there. The "first black" player didn't hurt either, but he was the first black player for 60 years and they didn't put him in. I am guessing his work at the minor league level is what did it.

exactly. he did something unique and symbolically important, but if you listen to what guys like subban and smith-pelly say about willie o’ree the man, what got him into the hall is that he lived up to the responsibility of that unique thing he did once upon a time.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Ha bascially. I was actually fine with the HHOF closing its doors to Soviets after Makarov was finally inducted. It would then just be the case that the standard for non-NHL-prime Euros would be a lot higher than for NHLers.

But Yakushev opens a door. Is it a door to clearly better Soviets like Firsov, Mikhailov, Petrov, Maltsev, and (if you ignore his cheeseburger years) Krutov? Or is it a door to Paul Henderson because "it's unfair to induct Yakushev because of '72 and not Henderson."
Do you know how hard it was to get a cheeseburger in Russia back then? I hope the voters take that into account when thinking of Krutov. However, I think Mikhailov and Firsov need to be in before anyone else, including Maltsev, Krutov, and Petrov. I would actually put Zubov ahead of the latter players.

Also, why aren't Holecek and Martinec in the Hall of Fame? They gave those Soviet teams more than just a run for their money. Those were great players too. Are they judged on a different metric than the Russian players?

Reactions: overg

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Soviet players are not my strongest suit. Is Yakushev a good pick?

He was a legendary good performer vs the Canadians/North Americans, especially in 1972; arguably the best of them all (Soviets) in that series (Kharlamov was possibly denied of that 'honour' when Clarke did what he did in game 6, though). Especially for that reason, Yakushev is well-known in Canada. However, in Europe/Russia, Yakushev isn't usually among the very first players who are mentioned when talking about the Russian or European greats. I don't want to knock him, though; he was an excellent player and goal-scorer.

But I hate to see him getting in before Firsov, Mikhailov and Maltsev. And I don't know what makes him more worthy than the Czechs Vladimir Martinec, Jiri Holecek and Vaclav Nedomansky either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Batis

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky

So you call the PHWA morons, then provide an even more superficial analysis than they typically use, while outright admitting you didn't watch the games.

Interesting tactic.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad