What does your 2018 Hockey hall of fame class look like?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
To me, Fleury was clearly a better player than Alfredsson

Turgeon deserves induction as well

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Martin Brodeur
Anatoli Firsov
Martin St. Louis
J.C. Tremblay

The two Martins are the only locks. After that, it's impossible to predict what they'll do.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Martin Brodeur
Anatoli Firsov
Martin St. Louis
J.C. Tremblay

The two Martins are the only locks. After that, it's impossible to predict what they'll do.

This is my personal list as well... though I think it's unlikely they'll induct another non-NHL European for a very long time. I mean, Makarov should have been such a cut-and-dry case and it was so drawn out.

I'll try to predict what they'll do after the 2 Martins -
1) Induct another 80s/early 90s guy with good career accumulative stats
2) Induct a more recent player who was popular with the media

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
What's the argument for any of them over Turgeon?

Fleury and Alfreddson brought more than just regular season scoring, to different levels.

Mogilny... No argument over Turgeon on the ice, though I suppose one could make an argument for him as a trailblazer.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This is my personal list as well... though I think it's unlikely they'll induct another non-NHL European for a very long time. I mean, Makarov should have been such a cut-and-dry case and it was so drawn out.

I'll try to predict what they'll do after the 2 Martins -
1) Induct another 80s/early 90s guy with good career accumulative stats
2) Induct a more recent player who was popular with the media
So Theo Fleury and Jeremy Roenick?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Peak Fleury was among the league leaders, despite not much of a supporting cast

Alfredsson only managed to achieve those heights while playing on the best line in hockey

The difference between them is minimal, but clear

1991-95 Fleury = 13th in points, 19th in PPG (Nieuwendyk, Reichel, Roberts, MacInnis, Suter, Makarov)
2000-05 Alfie = 13th in points, 8th in PPG (Hossa, Havlat, Chara, Redden, Bonk, White)

Alfredsson's line mates aren't great during this period, but he seems to have done better than Fleury at his peak.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
1991-95 Fleury = 13th in points, 19th in PPG (Nieuwendyk, Reichel, Roberts, MacInnis, Suter, Makarov)
2000-05 Alfie = 13th in points, 8th in PPG (Hossa, Havlat, Chara, Redden, Bonk, White)

Alfredsson's line mates aren't great during this period, but he seems to have done better than Fleury at his peak.

I said "Peak Fleury"

In '96, Fleury had 96 points in 80 games, 2nd on the team was German Titov with 67

And then in '99 he finished with 69 points in 60 games with Calgary, Stillman finished 2nd with 57 points in 76 games

I don't remember Alfredsson being able to produce at that level with lesser talent around him

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGallivan

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I said "Peak Fleury"

In '96, Fleury had 96 points in 80 games, 2nd on the team was German Titov with 67

I don't remember Alfredsson being able to produce at that level with lesser talent around him
I'm sorry but I'll take Alfie all day, everyday over Fleury.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
What's the argument for any of them over Turgeon?

I forgot about him

Fleury and Alfreddson brought more than just regular season scoring, to different levels.

Mogilny... No argument over Turgeon on the ice, though I suppose one could make an argument for him as a trailblazer.

Nah, Mogilny was the (marginally) better player imo. When you adjust scoring for era, Mogilny, MSL, Fleury, Alfie, and Turgeon are all right around one another, but Mogilny narrowly leads the pack. Mogilny also gets a small bonus in my book for the Russia stuff as well

May be paywalled, but https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2018/06/25134509/Screen-Shot-2018-06-25-at-1.44.05-PM.png

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Also, there were far more superstars in the early 90's vs the early 00's, so Fleury would've faced much stiffer competition for scoring leads during the periods you listed

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

From 2000-2004, Alfredsson posted 5 straight seasons of similar production.

He was 1 of only 9 players to be a PPG or better (cut off 250 points, sorted by PPG):
Forsberg, Jagr, Sakic, Palffy, Bure, Naslund, Demitra, Alfredsson, Thornton

That list seems to have some pretty big names.

PPG - Common Linemates (Martin liked to keep C-RW duos together and flip LW's)
1.04 - Prospal - McEachern/Zamuner
1.03 - Yashin - McEachern
0.91 - White - Arvedson/McEachern (lowest PPG, but highest GPG of the 5 seasons)
1.00 - White - Avedson/...mix
1.04 - White - Schaefer/ Smolinski

Those weren't great linemates. One season with Yashin is the best linemate by far and Alfredsson posted a season that looks like all of the others during it.

Also, do you remember Naslund from his peak years during the West Coast Express? It occurred during these seasons, which is why he made the list above.
2000-2004
Naslund = 1.06 PPG
Alfredsson = 1.00 PPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here's 2006-2009, because it was on your mind (note that scoring was higher post-lockout):
1.34 - Spezza - Heatley
1.13 - Fisher - Schaefer
1.27 - Spezza - Heatley
0.94 - Spezza - Heatley (low because having Craig Hartsburg as coach was worse than having Spezza & Heatley as linemates)

For the 5 seasons from 2000-2004, you saw that he was tied for 8th in PPG (250+ points). In the 5 seasons from 2006-2010 mostly playing with great linemates, Alfredsson finished 6th in PPG.
Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, Malkin, Jagr, Alfredsson, Spezza, Gaborik, Heatley, Kovalchuk

Last edited:
Reactions: Neutrinos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->