Speculation: What does Kyle Dubas do with less than 7 million dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He has the same cap room as everyone else.
82.5 million.

When will he figure out $40M for just Four is 0-4 and can’t work ?

That is what is different than everybody else when cap room is the topic.. :wg:

Too much $$$ for too few players prevents "We can and We will" not from signing them all, but rather winning also. (which seems to be the missing ingredient)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Yep. And the $1 million D they would have had to get to replace Holl would have been sooooooooooooooooo much better - especially after McCann walks because of his $5 million AAV contract demands.

You can lead a horse to water.....

Timothy Liljegren was soooooooooo much better….

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The dubas cult is in full force.

If you disagree your closing your eyes when you post

Not everyone whose a dubas fan is a fanboy/girl.

But there are certainly posters who think everyone of the moves mentioned d above was a fine move and didn't hurt our team

There are also fans on tbe other side I'll give you.

They'll argue we paid to much for Gio,

Kampf was a bad signing,

Knies isn't a great pick,

Brodie contract over pay,

We overpaid for Campbell

Both those dubas super fans and super haters make reading these boards really tough

Who are these people because I have never seen such posts ? If they exist they are clearly trolls and I must have them on ignore.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When will he figure out $40M for just Four is 0-4 and can’t work ?

That is what is different than everybody else when cap room is the topic.. :wg:

Too much $$$ for too few players prevents "We can and We will" not from signing them all, but rather winning also. (which seems to be the missing ingredient)
It’s quite obvious after this amount of time. He won’t.
Call you/me Ishmael.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas started to destroy this teams potential after he signed everyone to max money, forcing kadri, brown, kapanen, campbell, hyman, etc out of the picture. Why would anyone trust Dubas to fix the mess he created? MLSE should have fired him last year. Dubas is a phony person, ass kisses the media and reverts all of his answers back to analytics or some flaky long winded story that evades the question. This is Dubas's last GM job in the NHL. He had the Nylander, Marner, Matthews and support guys like the above mentioned that were forced out, he had a potential dynasty on his hands. He still has no clue how to draft or build a d-core....

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dubas started to destroy this teams potential after he signed everyone to max money, forcing kadri, brown, kapanen, campbell, hyman, etc out of the picture. Why would anyone trust Dubas to fix the mess he created? MLSE should have fired him last year. Dubas is a phony person, ass kisses the media and reverts all of his answers back to analytics or some flaky long winded story that evades the question. This is Dubas's last GM job in the NHL. He had the Nylander, Marner, Matthews and support guys like the above mentioned that were forced out, he had a potential dynasty on his hands. He still has no clue how to draft or build a d-core....

Wow, prepare to duck. Incoming Dubasites in 3,2,1. LOL

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Holl is healthy scratched for the start of the playoffs.

“Great move” keeping him over Jared McCann who is better than any single player in the Leafs bottom 6... :laugh:

The hits keep on coming from the Dubas crew.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
McCann was a 60 pt player (pace) on the pens
Through only half a season, with wildly inflated underlying metrics that he wouldn't repeat, and 1/3 of his points on the PP - an opportunity he wouldn't receive here. That's not an accurate representation of what he was "at the time" or what he would be for us. He had a career high of 35 points "at the time", for the record.
and had 54 in 70 something thus year
That's not true. He had 50 in 74, and only 32 of those were even strength - slightly more than Engvall. He was and is a middle-six forward, much like Kerfoot. The point that you seemed to miss was that he was acquired to protect the roster, which was successful.
McCann would be a 50-60 point player simular to Bunting is despite little PP time in Toronto.
He would likely do pretty much exactly what Kerfoot just did, only without the good defense and PK ability.
The roster simply wasn't worth protecting.
Of course it was, especially for the small price of Hallander and a 7th. We had an excellent team.
Keeping holl didn't improve the team.
Of course it did. He's a very good defensemen, and there was no realistic internal or external replacement, especially "at the time".

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dubas is in a pickle with the cap. They are probably going to need to restructure the team sooner than later. It's rather unfortunate, but perhaps something will happen shortly.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
i'm curious what else, legit asking
He was also riding a 20% PP OISH% and 33% PP SH% through that half season at the same time, which he's never come close to otherwise. That half-season looked to be a significant outlier.

If he was this amazing player, why did nobody offer more than Hallander and a 7th to acquire and protect him? Why did Pittsburgh not protect him themselves?
mccann didnt pk last year
I don't remember anybody saying he had?

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Holl is healthy scratched for the start of the playoffs.

“Great move” keeping him over Jared McCann who is better than any single player in the Leafs bottom 6... :laugh:

The hits keep on coming from the Dubas crew.
Imagine proudly broadcasting that you don't understand the kindergarten-level concept of hindsight.

Reactions: thinkblue

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Dubas is in a pickle with the cap. They are probably going to need to restructure the team sooner than later. It's rather unfortunate, but perhaps something will happen shortly.

That restructuring will happen after restructuring the management and coaching of the team.

Why allow the kid who maxed out the company credit card the get-out-of jail-free card, wasting even more years of this team and fanbase’s time?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Imagine proudly broadcasting that you don't understand the kindergarten-level concept of hindsight.

Oh yes except all of my posting had been pro-McCann even since he was in Pittsburgh.

I argued with a moderator at length here about his value only for said moderator to backtrack after Dubas acquired him in a trade.

McCann has always been a better player and center than anything the Leafs protected.

Kerfoot is a winger who cost the Leafs games in the playoffs this year.

Even with hindsight it just proves what trash foresight our garbage GM has :laugh:

In case you’re forgetting, our garbage GM isn’t being compared against HFboards posters but rather against other GM’s.

He’s delivered zilch so far in way of success measured in playoff results.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020

Hot garbage.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That restructuring will happen after restructuring the management and coaching of the team.

Why allow the kid who maxed out the company credit card the get-out-of jail-free card, wasting even more years of this team and fanbase’s time?

It could happen before next season regardless of what they say now. I can't imagine that anyone is truly satisfied with what's gone on since Dubas has taken over. Even if Larry T and Shanny are head over heels in love with Kyle, there are a lot of stakeholders involved as well. The SN deal is a massive flop etc etc.

Who knows what will happen.

Hot garbage.

Would you be kind enough to expand on why it's hot garbage? There seems to a be a lot of valid concerns and some solid reasoning in his post. I'd like to hear your take though.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Oh yes except all of my posting had been pro-McCann even since he was in Pittsburgh.

I argued with a moderator at length here about his value only for said moderator to backtrack after Dubas acquired him in a trade.

McCann has always been a better player and center than anything the Leafs protected.

Kerfoot is a winger who cost the Leafs games in the playoffs this year.

Even with hindsight it just proves what trash foresight our garbage GM has :laugh:
I don't particularly care about your personal evaluations of players. The point is we were in no position at that time to gamble (because a gamble is exactly what it would've been) on a superfluous forward if it meant losing a cheap, serviceable defenseman.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I don't particularly care about your personal evaluations of players. The point is we were in no position at that time to gamble (because a gamble is exactly what it would've been) on a superfluous forward if it meant losing a cheap, serviceable defenseman.

The gamble did not pay off.

If not results how should one judge a GM?

”Good try Kyle, I see what ya did there! Better luck next time!”

Not how I roll, and hey good on you for being that way.

As an antithesis to how the Leafs do things, I’m not soft.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
In case you’re forgetting, our garbage GM isn’t being compared against HFboards posters but rather against other GM’s.

He’s delivered zilch so far in way of success measured in playoff results.
None of whom wanted McCann at the low low price of a middling prospect and a 7th either. Curious.

Good thing there's other ways to measure progress then isn't it? Another simple concept you can't grasp.

The gamble did not pay off.

If not results how should one judge a GM?

”Good try Kyle, I see what ya did there! Better luck next time!”

Not how I roll, and hey good on you for being that way.

As an antithesis to how the Leafs do things, I’m not soft.
It was still a gamble, and one we were not in position to make. Why is this difficult for you?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He was also riding a 20% PP OISH% and 33% PP SH% through that half season at the same time, which he's never come close to otherwise. That half-season looked to be a significant outlier.

If he was this amazing player, why did nobody offer more than Hallander and a 7th to acquire and protect him? Why did Pittsburgh not protect him themselves?

Ok fair enough. They look very similar even strength.. was just curious

I don't remember anybody saying he had?

Oh breathe.. i just said to make sure it didnt need to be mentioned

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
None of whom wanted McCann at the low low price of a middling prospect and a 7th either. Curious.

Good thing there's other ways to measure progress then isn't it? Another simple concept you can't grasp.

It was still a gamble, and one we were not in position to make. Why is this difficult for you?

Presumably because teams had their protection lists already established at that point in time and were ready to lose the respective players like Pittsburgh had to with McCann...

The Leafs acquired him almost as a dangle to pluck Kerfoot off their roster so they could keep Pittsburghs tribute to Seattle, but of course protected a regular season + playoff healthy scratch 7th defenceman instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Through only half a season, with wildly inflated underlying metrics that he wouldn't repeat, and 1/3 of his points on the PP - an opportunity he wouldn't receive here. That's not an accurate representation of what he was "at the time" or what he would be for us. He had a career high of 35 points "at the time", for the record.

That's not true. He had 50 in 74, and only 32 of those were even strength - slightly more than Engvall. He was and is a middle-six forward, much like Kerfoot. The point that you seemed to miss was that he was acquired to protect the roster, which was successful.

He would likely do pretty much exactly what Kerfoot just did, only without the good defense and PK ability.

Of course it was, especially for the small price of Hallander and a 7th. We had an excellent team.

Of course it did. He's a very good defensemen, and there was no realistic internal or external replacement, especially "at the time".
No it didn't we lost in 7 games vs the Habs and then again vs the Bolts

Saying of course it did out your ass doesn't hold any credibility.

The team had no improvement in the playoffs

Your the king of trying to pass your opinion as fact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad