Speculation: What does Kyle Dubas do with less than 7 million dollars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I think his shopping list fairly aparent:

list of priorities
1. goaltending (trade or UFA)
2. RFAs (Kase, Engvall, Sandin)
3. forwards (UFA or trade)
4. defense (possibly move out Holl/Sandin/Muzzin)

If he can move 1 or 2 bodies out (Holl, Kerfoot, *Nylander, *Tavares, Muzzin, etc.) he might have more flexibility to balance the team.

*unlikely Nylander/Tavares moves. KD would be making his boldest moves to date if he moved either player.

What do you think will happen with the little cap space Dubas has?

:leafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t know what he’ll do, but it’s safe to say this is his last kick at the can.

My guess is he’ll trade Mrazek and an asset to sign Campbell, maybe Engvall, and then fill the roster with Marlies.

He may want to get Sandin signed or moved before FA starts or he could get an OS.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I imagine his thought process will be the same as every other offseason, and we'll reap the rewards.

115 point regular season team. Does it get any better than that.

• Wow
Reactions: TorMapleJays

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
115 point team with their top players, other than Tavares, just entering their prime.

Already upgraded their defense with Giordano.

Need their goaltender sorted out, and someone to join the 2nd. line.

Bottom 6 will be easy to fill, already have 2 capable centers for the bottom 6.
What does a 115 point team have to do with anything? They were 105 point team 4 years ago
So just 2 goalies, a 2nd line winger and fill out the bottom 6. Easy peasy!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
115 point team with their top players, other than Tavares, just entering their prime.

I just think they need to graduate Steeves or Robertson to that second line spot. Take advantage of the ELC’s

Reactions: banks

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What does a 115 point team have to do with anything? They were 105 point team 4 years ago
So just 2 goalies, a 2nd line winger and fill out the bottom 6. Easy peasy!

Oh, you weren't aware.

The team as constructed just finished the season with 115 points.
Most of the players who earned those 115 points are still on the team.
Their goaltender is UFA, so that have to address that.
They have some players who are UFA, but for the most part they're depth players.

Now, since you don't seem to be aware, with most of those players coming back it isn't going to be a big off-season for them. Not like say Pittsburgh, that has 2 key players who are UFA, Malkin and Letang. Now Pittsburgh does have Jarry under contract for the upcoming season, but no back-up.

Tampa has to make some moves due to cap issues, and Colorado has about 3-4 key players who are UFA, they have cap space, but McKinnon has just 1 year left, so they have some things to work out as well.

For Toronto, not a lot to do.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

It's easy to rack up points in the regular season when you have a talented team. They are not good enough when it really matters, there are some tough teams to get through in the playoffs. We have tried shuffling around the bottom 6 around many times, why do you think next season it will be better. You can't do anything with how Dubas has managed the cap. If he thinks that with a different goalie and with different sets of characters in the bottom 6 he gets by Tampa next year, I think he is mistaken. Sorry, I don't believe in him or his core group anymore. 0 faith, and I don't see why I should feel differently right now

You sound like Raptors fans did after winning 59 games and getting swept by LeBron again. It's not working, you have to do a major shakeup

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just think they need to graduate Steeves or Robertson to that second line spot. Take advantage of the ELC’s

I agree, they have to prove they can develop forwards. Liljegren is coming of age, and Sandin is a year behind Liljegren, but who are the forwards? Might have been Knies, but he wasn't interested.

I think their scouting and development staff are on the clock. Some of them should be polishing up those Resumes.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Why do you think it will be easy to fill in bottom 6 when we have not had a decent playoffs bottom 6 since AJ and Kappy were Leafs ?? Who is the second capable centre ??

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It's easy to rack up points in the regular season when you have a talented team. They are not good enough when it really matters, there are some tough teams to get through in the playoffs. We have tried shuffling around the bottom 6 around many times, why do you think next season it will be better. You can't do anything with how Dubas has managed the cap. If he thinks that with a different goalie and with different sets of characters in the bottom 6 he gets by Tampa next year, I think he is mistaken. Sorry, I don't believe in him or his core group anymore. 0 faith, and I don't see why I should feel differently right now

Actually, it isn't easy to accumulates points in the regulary season 'cause there are only so many points to go around and therefore you have to take those points from another NHL team. It only seems easy when you have a good team. Ask bad teams how easy it is.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Trade Kerfoot for picks
Trade Holl for a pick
Re-sign Campbell with his tail in-between his legs
Sign fill-in guys, hopefully more Kases, Buntings and Kampfs and less Ritchies.

Reactions: ToneDog

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Actually, it isn't easy to accumulates points in the regulary season 'cause there are only so many points to go around and therefore you have to take those points from another NHL team. It only seems easy when you have a good team. Ask bad teams how easy it is.
There are good regular season teams, and bad ones
There are good playoff teams, and bad ones....in case you weren't aware

Reactions: ToneDog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I mean that being a good regular season team and a good playoff team is 2 different things. Tampa won less games in the regular than Toronto, but they are way better at this playoff thing.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
No when you lose in the first round 6 years in a row, just keep er goin and hope other teams get worse. And stick with the guy who can't get you over the hump. I'm aware, are you?

While we have barely picked in the first round since we drafted Lily, other teams like the Wings and Sens have been picking in the top 8. At some point they may catch up to our good team like the Rangers and Panthers have since we lost to Washington.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why do you think it will be easy to fill in bottom 6 when we have not had a decent playoffs bottom 6 since AJ and Kappy were Leafs ?? Who is the second capable centre ??

Kampf and Kerfoot are two bottom 6 centers.

There are going to be NHLers looking for jobs in a couple weeks, and they'll look at the Leafs and see opportunities to be on a good team. There are always NHLers looking for a new job.

And there are prospects ready to compete. Their prospects aren't 20 year old graduating juniors.
As I said above, it is prove it time for the scouts and development staff. If they are any good it is time to prove it. If they aren't any good then time to clean house. So it's easy, call up a couple prospects, sign a couple well thought out UFA's and there you go.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I mean that being a good regular season team and a good playoff team is 2 different things. Tampa won less games in the regular than Toronto, but they are way better at this playoff thing.
There is no disputing that. The key is being able to build both, they haven't found the key yet.

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Fans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad