What does everyone think of the Sutter re-signing? Bottom 6 staple I guess

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Of course I don't want to see Sutter back, but it all depends on who the replacement at 3C would be. There are very few UFA options. I would say I'd prefer re-signing Sutter than doing something stupid like putting Kole Lind in the 3C spot.

Reactions: Get North

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I originally figured there'd be no way they'd ever re-sign Sutter.....then they went out and reupped Pearson for three years.

But the performance of Graovac over the past couple of nights reveals how much of a folly it was to give the contract number and term to Sutter in the first place.

All you're looking for from a third or fourth line center; is to be sound defensively, chip in with a goal or two a month; win a slim majority of your faceoffs; and tilt the ice to the offensive end when you're on the ice. If you can kill penalties, so much the better.

Graovac is slow, but he ticks all of those boxers for under $1m a season. If they'd loaded up a fourth line with some big bodies like Graovac, MacEwan and maybe Virtanen, they'd have been light years better off.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Don't spend good money after bad.
Better to find a Paul or Tuch somewhere, maybe even at the draft(s).
Or just save the cap space for future trades
What if it's not good money to begin with?

Should you spend bad money after bad?

Loui Eriksson says yes.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
How do i feel about Sutter re-signing in Vancouver....

1f92e.png

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
We just f***ed ourselves and signed Pearson for another three years, we still have Roussel for another year and I don't know how the f*** we still have AHLer Eriksson on this team, it's like groundhog day every season I expect him to be off the books already. So, a huge, emphatic, baleen whale sized NO.

If we had none of the above trash heap dragging down the team, then yes Sutter is a decent replacement level guy that could be signed for like, 1M or so for a year or two tops. Even before retaining Pearson I would have said no, unless Roussel and Eriksson could have been jettisoned.

No one with a brain should care that Sutter just may perform marginally better on this team than a 700k minimum salary F because it's going nowhere fast.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Good god my heart rate spiked until realized joke. This guy should be sent packing first chance we get. I wouldn't even play him rest of year give the kids a chance to get some development time.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I hope to god the Canucks sign EP and Hughes, and then figure out how much money they have left. You can sign a lot of players for the amount you can throw into the minors and not have your cap hit suffer. We are caring way too much baggage already.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Please let him go.

Tired of slow/weak bottom 6 players. He’s also a death sentence for his wingers, the guy can’t create offense for his linemates, he’s a winger who can take faceoffs.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
I hope to god the Canucks sign EP and Hughes, and then figure out how much money they have left. You can sign a lot of players for the amount you can throw into the minors and not have your cap hit suffer. We are caring way too much baggage already.
"caring way to much"....you figure we have emotional attachment to our luggage???

Reactions: ChilliBilly

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Can not believe they would even consider Sutter. It is so damn obvious he has chronic hip and groin problems. Sad part is that even when we traded for him (giving up a better player in Bonino and, of course, adding a second round pick) Sutter had already had significant injury problems. Benning talk about him being durable and resilient was such BS. Sutter had already had concussion and shoulder problems in Carolina and Pittsburg and had a left hernia operation in 2015.

Fact Benning then turned around and gave him the big extension is just one more example of how horrendous, the management has been.

But yah he may get re-signed and its too bad the fans have no way of preventing this gong show from continuing

Reactions: supercanuck

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Is it just me?

Or do others agree that there should be no more proposed deals for Canucks FAs unless it includes a link to CapFriendly and an explanation of how they envision it all working out?

The Canucks have less than $16M in cap space for next year yet they only have 10 forwards and 3 defensemen signed.

I mean, you can't just say things like, "I'd be happy with Sutter at $2M and Edler at $3M," without also explaining how you make those deals, and then resign Pettersson and Hughes plus fill out the rest of the roster. I know that Benning hinted at some cap relief when he snapped at Riccio a few weeks ago, but still.

Okay, rant over.

Edit: Or was it Drance he snapped at?

I have a feeling Benning will try to play hardball with both Petterrson and Hughes, especially after what has been a relatively dud season for both of them. He's probably thinking he can sign both for under 7M ignoring the fact they can simply refuse to sign and sit out. We're basically dead in the water if both called Benning's bluff.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
It depends on the 3C market. If there’s a long term solution available either by trade or UFA then take it and let him walk. But, if there isn’t, and we’d prefer to wait another season to address the position as well have way more cap space, then a 1 year deal will be acceptable.

Reactions: Dab

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Really?

Seems like kind of a dick move.

If you want a discussion about the possibility of bringing back Sutter on a cheap contract, why not just start a thread about that?

There's no need to go the route of pure evil.

have a bit of fun bro

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
It depends on the 3C market. If there’s a long term solution available either by trade or UFA then take it and let him walk. But, if there isn’t, and we’d prefer to wait another season to address the position as well have way more cap space, then a 1 year deal will be acceptable.
If Benning is the GM I’d rather see if we can get a cheap deal out of Sutter than let Benning get into free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad