What does everyone think of the Sutter re-signing? Bottom 6 staple I guess

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think it’s time to move on. Beagle is still on contract for next year, and I don’t think Sutter is good enough or durable enough to fill the 3C role any longer.

If Beagle weren’t around, I’d entertain a 1 year deal at $1m or so - but he will likely ask for more money and term, and the Canucks should say no.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see some of the Sportsnet 650 cheerleaders are stumping for the return of Sutter.....but just can't see it happening. Unless he was willing to come back on a team friendly, Travis Hamonic type of $1m deal, but even then the team probably needs to move on.

But the fact that it's even in the conversation just underscores how desperately thin the Canucks are at the center ice position.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don’t think we fans understand the ego of the players. It’s very rare a once high paid guy, with an important role will sign for a huge pay reduction with his current team. It’s a lockeroom measuring thing. Pearson only came back because we way overpaid, even though it’s less than what he was making before. Sutter will not come back unless we way overpay. Same with Edler. These guys have big egos. They measure their egos in the room.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think it’s time to move on. Beagle is still on contract for next year, and I don’t think Sutter is good enough or durable enough to fill the 3C role any longer.

If Beagle weren’t around, I’d entertain a 1 year deal at $1m or so - but he will likely ask for more money and term, and the Canucks should say no.

both beagle and Sutter are absolute trash and should have been waived three years ago.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Our Center ice depth is so weak I almost think it’s inevitable to see Sutter back here at - 2 years at $2 million each.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don’t think we fans understand the ego of the players. It’s very rare a once high paid guy, with an important role will sign for a huge pay reduction with his current team. It’s a lockeroom measuring thing. Pearson only came back because we way overpaid, even though it’s less than what he was making before. Sutter will not come back unless we way overpay. Same with Edler. These guys have big egos. They measure their egos in the room.

Honestly, from the sounds of things it seems like they basically just took the agent's word for it that this was a good price, so there's not really any way to test if this is true or not.

Reactions: Fatass

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Sutter will definitely be back.

Guessing it will be something like $3m x 2 years, maybe 3 years if that's what they think they Petey and Hughes will bridge for.

I've said this many times; I think there is a higher likelihood that Sutter is the next Canucks captain than the chances that he won't be re-signed if Jim Benning is still GM.

Reactions: Zippgunn

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Move on. Even if he came stupidly cheap. It's time for a change, he's too injury prone now to be dependable.

I'd like it if the team had a bit more grit coming from its bottom six, someone like Adam Lowry if he hadn't re-signed with Winnipeg but a player of that ilk.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
The sad thing is that he is 7th in points among our forwards.

8th in points per game among forwards and only a fraction higher than Gaudette. So hes borderline 3rd/4th line by that measure. Given how many bottom 6 injuries we have had (literally 0 of our starting bottom 6 players currently in the lineup), he very well could have been even lower on the list if others had more time to round out their games. So not as sad as it first appears.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t care what he would sign for, at some point you have to move on and bring in some new blood when you miss the playoffs most years.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I would take him at 1-2 years , 1.5M Max.

he’s better than the waiver guys we picked up and Hightower , Veesy, etc.

Reactions: bh53

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I don’t care what he would sign for, at some point you have to move on and bring in some new blood when you miss the playoffs most years.

“I think you can rebuild and not miss the playoffs 5 years in a row. “

Kevin Bieksa on the Canucks.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The sad thing is that he is 7th in points among our forwards.

It's sad only if you have a hate on for the guy as so many here do. I like him fine he has his good games and his not so good games. A better coach would definitely help him (and so many others on our team).

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I see some of the Sportsnet 650 cheerleaders are stumping for the return of Sutter.....but just can't see it happening. Unless he was willing to come back on a team friendly, Travis Hamonic type of $1m deal, but even then the team probably needs to move on.

But the fact that it's even in the conversation just underscores how desperately thin the Canucks are at the center ice position.
A centre with 2 assists is a centre in name only! Totally useless in the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad