What does everyone think of the Sutter re-signing? Bottom 6 staple I guess

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's sad only if you have a hate on for the guy as so many here do. I like him fine he has his good games and his not so good games. A better coach would definitely help him (and so many others on our team).

I am going to agree with Ferraro. The Canucks need to get YOUNGER, FASTER, and add more skill. That doesnt apply to Sutter. We have seen 4-5 years of Sutter, it hasnt moved any needle, and no one here is also mentioning the constant injuries you get with Sutter for the money you pay. No way the Canucks have gotten their moneys worth for that contract.

Move on.

BTW, what is it about Canuck fans that many want to bring back the same old veterans in perpetuity? Good teams move on and renovate their rosters, especially when they dont ever win anything.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I don’t think we fans understand the ego of the players. It’s very rare a once high paid guy, with an important role will sign for a huge pay reduction with his current team. It’s a lockeroom measuring thing. Pearson only came back because we way overpaid, even though it’s less than what he was making before. Sutter will not come back unless we way overpay. Same with Edler. These guys have big egos. They measure their egos in the room.
Edler will accept a bargain contract....just not sure he will want to continue playing. I am thinking he is ready to retire and enjoy life in Vancouver more with his friends Daniel and Henrik.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Sutter will definitely be back.

Guessing it will be something like $3m x 2 years, maybe 3 years if that's what they think they Petey and Hughes will bridge for.

I've said this many times; I think there is a higher likelihood that Sutter is the next Canucks captain than the chances that he won't be re-signed if Jim Benning is still GM.
What dreamworld are you living in?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Sidenote but some Columbus fans think they are going to go into a full blown retool and that Boone Jenner might be available

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think it’s time to move on. Beagle is still on contract for next year, and I don’t think Sutter is good enough or durable enough to fill the 3C role any longer.

If Beagle weren’t around, I’d entertain a 1 year deal at $1m or so - but he will likely ask for more money and term, and the Canucks should say no.
From day 1, Beagle was an issue because the team had Sutter. Both are centers you use to put in tough minutes to insulate other players. Two lines of that is too much.

The team should definitely not re-sign Sutter - it needs a 3C that will not get buried (this is the teams biggest need).

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It's sad only if you have a hate on for the guy as so many here do. I like him fine he has his good games and his not so good games. A better coach would definitely help him (and so many others on our team).

I was calling our scoring depth sad, not Sutter. It is not good when your 7th and 8th best scorers are 4th liners. One of which has missed over 20 games.

I actually was okay with Sutter in a 4th line role until this year. He hasn't been as effective this year, and would rather his role go to someone like Hawryluk.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
From day 1, Beagle was an issue because the team had Sutter. Both are centers you use to put in tough minutes to insulate other players. Two lines of that is too much.

The team should definitely not re-sign Sutter - it needs a 3C that will not get buried (this is the teams biggest need).
We got more than one good season out of Sutter. Sure he was a bit overpaid. Beagle? He’s just there. About the ONLY good thing I can say about him. Sutter just got too old, injured.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
time to move on, or "transition". Benning can also do some bargain hunting for a cheap 3rd line player. A smart GM would bargain hunt for a cheaper 3rd line player. He's already 32 wtf you doing Benning this idea is so stupid let him go to the Flames.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Is it just me?

Or do others agree that there should be no more proposed deals for Canucks FAs unless it includes a link to CapFriendly and an explanation of how they envision it all working out?

The Canucks have less than $16M in cap space for next year yet they only have 10 forwards and 3 defensemen signed.

I mean, you can't just say things like, "I'd be happy with Sutter at $2M and Edler at $3M," without also explaining how you make those deals, and then resign Pettersson and Hughes plus fill out the rest of the roster. I know that Benning hinted at some cap relief when he snapped at Riccio a few weeks ago, but still.

Okay, rant over.

Edit: Or was it Drance he snapped at?

Last edited:

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Lol. I am happy I caught some people off guard with the title + link. I am sure some of you were like "WTF we re-signed him?!?!?"

Anyways, the discussion I was hoping to see was what people would think of him being re-signed as a cheap (by cheap I mean sub 1.5M) 1 year contract. I am not a fan of him as a player but was curious what the consensus is around here.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I have a bad feeling they're going to re-sign him. It's not going to be close to his current contract, but I think this management group is afraid of their poor centre depth and they usually get aggressive early rather than wait for guys to slip through the cracks. It may be like 2 years, 2.5 AAV or something like that.

If they play hardball with him, where they offer him a league minimum 1 year deal like they should, he likely takes that as an insult and moves on. Players who are his age, have been NHLers for a long time and were paid well usually don't jump at the opportunity to take an 80% pay cut. They still usually believe they have something to offer and they don't get to the NHL by not believing in themselves. He might get another OK contract, or he may scour the league and eventually take a PTO, we don't know. Either way, this should be an easy player to let go, particularly at his likely asking price.

Reactions: pomorick and MarkMM

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Lol. I am happy I caught some people off guard with the title + link. I am sure some of you were like "WTF we re-signed him?!?!?"

Anyways, the discussion I was hoping to see was what people would think of him being re-signed as a cheap (by cheap I mean sub 1.5M) 1 year contract. I am not a fan of him as a player but was curious what the consensus is around here.

Really?

Seems like kind of a dick move.

If you want a discussion about the possibility of bringing back Sutter on a cheap contract, why not just start a thread about that?

There's no need to go the route of pure evil.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Would be insanity to bring him back. was a good player that perpetually got injured and played too high in the lineup. Now hes beat up and old and cant sustain a tempo or work rate worthy of 3C.
Sure if Beagle would retire then i would give him the 4C role at 1.25 to 1.5 for a year but i doubt thats happening.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Don't spend good money after bad.
Better to find a Paul or Tuch somewhere, maybe even at the draft(s).
Or just save the cap space for future trades

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I have a bad feeling they're going to re-sign him. It's not going to be close to his current contract, but I think this management group is afraid of their poor centre depth and they usually get aggressive early rather than wait for guys to slip through the cracks. It may be like 2 years, 2.5 AAV or something like that.

If they play hardball with him, where they offer him a league minimum 1 year deal like they should, he likely takes that as an insult and moves on. Players who are his age, have been NHLers for a long time and were paid well usually don't jump at the opportunity to take an 80% pay cut. They still usually believe they have something to offer and they don't get to the NHL by not believing in themselves. He might get another OK contract, or he may scour the league and eventually take a PTO, we don't know. Either way, this should be an easy player to let go, particularly at his likely asking price.
How about Spezza and Thornton money.....both are making $700 000!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad