What does everyone think of the Sutter re-signing? Bottom 6 staple I guess

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Travis Boyd and Graovac make Sutter look like an all-star. He's coming back unless you got somebody better.

I still think Sutter's greatest game as a Canuck was on March 13 of this year. He had 0 points ironically, but led in shifts and TOI.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Travis Boyd and Graovac make Sutter look like an all-star. He's coming back unless you got somebody better.

I still think Sutter's greatest game as a Canuck was on March 13 of this year. He had 0 points ironically, but led in shifts and TOI.

He’d be ok at around $1 million or less on the 4th line. Anything more is a waste of cap space as you can easily find cheap alternatives in free agency. Sutter isn’t very good.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A healthy Sutter at $1M-$1.5M is actually a good depth piece with his ability to play C and wing, win faceoffs, PK, and pot in a few goals at ES. Just don't play him 17+ minutes with PP time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A healthy Sutter at $1M-$1.5M is actually a good depth piece with his ability to play C and wing, win faceoffs, PK, and pot in a few goals at ES. Just don't play him 17+ minutes with PP time.

On one hand, I don't entirely disagree with this.

On the other hand, I just really can't stand watching him play and what he represents and I want to see him cleared out as part of a housecleaning this summer.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
If Beagle was not still on the team I might consider a 1 year sub 1 million offer. But Beagle still exists and therefore Sutter is redundant. One underperforming vet at center is one too many. Ideally we just say thank you and move on. We still have plenty of "veteran leadership" on the team without him.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Best case scenario, if Sutter is back, is that he plays wing with Beagle at centre on the 4th line. They both can kill penalties. They only way this is good for the club though is if he signs for <$1.5M on a one or two year term. Basically, I think he is a decent 4th line depth player at this stage of his career. If he is playing on the third line, something went horribly wrong this off season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Hockey Writers did a piece today that makes a lot of sense, statistically, that says to drop Sutter, and replace him with Ryan Getzlaf. Assuming they'll cost the same, it makes sense to me.
https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-getzlaf-2021-free-agent-target/

Except why would Getzlaf sign here? I think Montreal was interested in acquiring him at the deadline but Getzlaf wasn't interested. Of course there's a difference between moving at the deadline and moving in the off season. I did read rumours that if he doesn't retire as a Duck he'll be interested in going to Las Vegas, which would be the closet contending team from home. Vegas would also make sense with their depth on wing.

Reactions: Bougieman

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
"I'm not too concerned with my role," Sutter said after the trade. "I just want to do what is asked of me. I hope to play an increased role and it sounds like a good opportunity to be a second-line center."

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad