What do you want in free agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You fill voids on the UFA market, you don't look to build a team that way. Bergevin said it in an interview with Réjean Tremblay which was broadcasted on TVA Sports this weekend.

1st signing: Power forward with scoring ability and nasty streak
Perry, Clowe or Clarkson

2nd signing: Big body defenseman to clear the crease
Murray or Smid

3rd signing: Capable 2nd goalie
Budaj, Garon or Tokarski

Other moves:
- You buyout Kaberle
- If Cole doesn't retire, you trade Gionta back to NJ
- You let Armstrong go
- If Desharnais wants too much, you trade him for future assets

My ideal lineup:
Perry (6.5M X 6) - Galchenyuk (3.225) - Cole (4.5)
Pacioretty (4.5) - Plekanec (5) - Gallagher (0.660)
Prust (2.5) - Eller (1.3) - Bourque (3.3)
Moen (1.8) - Dumont (0.6) - White (0,7)

Markov (5.75) - Emelin (2)
Smid (4M X 3) - Subban (2.8)
Gorges (3.9) - Diaz (1.3)

Price (6.5)
Garon(1M X 1)

Total: Around 61.8M, 2.5 for extras.

Pigems*

Would Clowe and/or Clarkson sign with us if we did make them an offer?

Dharvey33

Apr 30, 2010
I'd take Dupuis for a 3rd line.

Clarkson will resign with the devils for sure they cannot let him leave.

Perry obviously but i doubt we would be the only team in list.

Clowe Dupuis could be good players that can fill in top 6 while we wait for Galchenyuk and gallagher to be bonifide top 6 players.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Would Clowe and/or Clarkson sign with us if we did make them an offer?

Who knows what a player wants to do?

Everyone loves to pitch ideas of players going wherever to fill holes but you'll never know until they sign on the line that is dotted.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
top 4 Dman who can log minutes (a lefty to replace BouBou.)

Jorje-Subban
XXX-Humbre
Markov-Emelin
Or we can wait and use Tities for a lh.. but I don't know if he'll be ready.

A top 6 passing winger.

Aaaaaand we're set.

Lizard King*

We already have the best player in the NHL in Galchenyuk

What more can we ask for?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
What are the odds of Anaheim letting Getzlaf and Perry walk? Selanne is probably gone and Koivu is also a UFA. They will need to reach the cap floor some how.

I can't recall which hockey insider said it, but there are 2 indicators that these players will probably stay in Anaheim.

1) Getlaf and Perry are friends and would like to play together
2) Both players enjoy California

Now that the Ducks are contenders it may be only a matter of time before they sign. If i had to bet i'd cross these players off as being generally unavailable as free agents.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I always pictured Clowe as a guy on roids that had a brain the size of a mustard seed. I don't think he's ever going to pot 20 again. what I mean is, I wouldn't ''go after'' him ... id get him if I'd have lose change in my pocket and he would really want to come here (doubt its the case) for a 3rd line role but he wouldn't be a target. exactly the type of player ppl will overpay for. he's close to be overpaid as it stands now, not sure he deserves a raise.

Someone mentionned Clarkson ... that's the kind of smart bum I enjoy watching play. makes way more sense to me. But I really doubt lou will let him walk out.

I'm not sure why you say that as if he fluked into a 20 goal season once, he's been at or around 20 goals/year for the last 4 years. Granted he seems to have worn out his welcome in San Jose this year, but it could just be time for a change of scenery. Guys who can average 20 goals/100 PIMs are a rare breed and he would be a huge upgrade on both our goalscoring from the wing and our team toughness. Very good playoff stats, wears a letter, drops the gloves with anyone...I have a hard time seeing what the downside is, depending on his asking price. He's exactly the kind of player a team like the Habs should target.

Clarkson is a nice fantasy but he constantly gushes about how much he owes to Lamiorello for giving him a shot - he's not going anywhere. And if he did, I guarantee he'd cost more than Clowe.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He'll be 31 when next season begins. That would be my concern if you have to sign him for 4 years or more.

That's a concern, sure. It's also the price you pay if you're the Habs and you're unable to develop any of these true power forwards yourself - you don't get them when they don't have any warts. It all depends on the contract Clowe would be asking for, to be sure.

The fact that we would potentially have Cole and Clowe as two aging wingers on UFA-inflated contracts could hinder us in the future...but I'm always the type to go for it now and figure out how to deal with it later if it becomes a problem.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Troy Brouwer didn't have many kind words for his former teammate, Alexander Semin, on Monday.
"Some nights you didn't even know if he was gonna come to the rink," Brouwer said. "It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em." Semin had a couldn't find a long-term contract to his liking over the summer, in part because others shared Brouwer's perception of him. All the same, the Hurricanes have benefited from signing Semin to a one-year/$7 million deal. He has 14 points in 17 games this season. Semin will play against his former team, the Washington Capitals, on Tuesday.

En3rgiee89

Apr 2, 2012
David Clarkson/ Ryan Clowe
Mason Raymond would be awesome

I also think Robyn Regehr could be interesting. Been having a rough time in Buffalo but hes a big body dman that could really help the Habs at the right price

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Ryane Clowe. Take Kaberle's buyout money.....$4.25 million and add $750,000 from Armstrong's salary and sign him for $5 million per year.

Ladislav Smid or Douglas Murray on the backend.

Anton Khudobin as our backup goalie.

Sign one of McGratten, Mashinter, Bordeleau, Rosehill or PLLLeblond

Trade Weber, Gionta, Desharnais, Cole. Let Armstrong walk. Keep the Cube for one more season as his play has been more than adequate. Same for Noke.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Id target those players

In no particulary order

Offense

Perry
Getzlaf
Horton
Clowe
Filpula
Brunner
Bordeleau
Lapierre

Cheap contract (under 2M)
Gagné
Raymond

Defense

Smid (if he can play RD)
O'byrne
White

Goaltender (Backup)

Théodore
Garon
Emery

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Ryane Clowe. Take Kaberle's buyout money.....$4.25 million and add $750,000 from Armstrong's salary and sign him for $5 million per year.

Ladislav Smid or Douglas Murray on the backend.

Anton Khudobin as our backup goalie.

Sign one of McGratten, Mashinter, Bordeleau, Rosehill or PLLLeblond

Trade Weber, Gionta, Desharnais, Cole. Let Armstrong walk. Keep the Cube for one more season as his play has been more than adequate. Same for Noke.

Clowe at 5M is really overpaid.

Murray is done. Go on SJ board they dont like him at all.

Id only sign Bordeleau is your list. The others are useless goon that cant play.

Analyzer*

Obvious: Perry/Getzlaf

Hopeful: Clowe/Clarkson.

Would love Smid, but there's no way the Oilers let him go. If they do, then they're extremely dumb.

TBH, I wouldn't mind Horton, but once again I doubt he becomes ufa.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Id target those players

In no particulary order

Offense

Perry
Getzlaf
Horton
Clowe
Filpula
Brunner
Bordeleau
Lapierre

Cheap contract (under 2M)
Gagné
Raymond

Defense

Smid (if he can play RD)
O'byrne
White

Goaltender (Backup)

Théodore
Garon
Emery

Yeah what about Horton I was figuring he would be exactly what we need everyone says we need top 6 guy with grit and skill isn't he exactly that?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Troy Brouwer didn't have many kind words for his former teammate, Alexander Semin, on Monday.
"Some nights you didn't even know if he was gonna come to the rink," Brouwer said. "It’s tough to play alongside guys like those because you don’t know what you’re gonna get out of ‘em." Semin had a couldn't find a long-term contract to his liking over the summer, in part because others shared Brouwer's perception of him. All the same, the Hurricanes have benefited from signing Semin to a one-year/$7 million deal. He has 14 points in 17 games this season. Semin will play against his former team, the Washington Capitals, on Tuesday.

Because the Capitals are doing so much better without that lazy Alex Semin.

Id only sign Bordeleau is your list. The others are useless goon that cant play.

Bordeleau is a useless goon that can't play. As far as useless goons that can't play though, he's young and Quebecois so it would make a lot of sense, but there's a reason it took an awful Avs team for him to finally make the NHL. He has yet to get a single shot on goal in 17 games.

For a league minimum plug though, it makes sense from an age/PR standpoint though.

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Clowe at 5M is really overpaid.

Murray is done. Go on SJ board they dont like him at all.

I disagree about $5 mil for Clowe being an overpayment. He would immediately address one of the biggest needs on the team. Sometimes you have to pay more for needs. Prust is showing that a little more money can change an entire team dynamic.

That's why I put Smid ahead of Murray. But I can understand how a hometown hockey forum can turn on a player. Happens here a lot. But conversely, some players can get more adoration than really deserved. Either way, we need to get bigger on the back end and Tinordi may not be ready next season.

As far as the tough guys, the only time they see the ice is when we play Boston or Toronto (or any other team that decides to get a little feisty). Call it an insurance policy for around $600,000.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
For Clowe, price depends on how long. Giving Clowe $5M makes sense for a short term deal, for 3+ years that could get ugly. He seems to be trending downward quickly, obviously he wouldn't be here for his skills but he might not even be a 20 goal guy anymore.

Clarkson would be better but the only way he leaves Jersey is for big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad