Speculation: What do you think this team needs to win the cup?

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
They're done. Just need coach not to be dumb and we're good.

I'll take more obviously like a bruising D but this team is best in league easy right now.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
In a perfect world, addition by subtraction. Two more Acciari types and a solid D Man. Teams may make trades, Leafs don't need to get into a fire sale auction, they need to trade some out of favor players.

Sorry, but I still don't trust a young D tandem pairing back there. The matchups are going to get very different for them. Though I get the feelng Leafs may roll with them. I'd like to see Benn play but I'm not sure thst is the plan, he hasn't been his best.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We have a roster that's capable of winning right now. We just need our goaltending to hold up.
Knies transitioning well into a bottom six role would also be a big boost.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
IMO, they’re going to be ready to go toe to toe with anyone… there’s just something about this year that’s different.

That play early in the season where Mitch passed the puck from laying on the ice, after fighting off 2 guys behind the net… I said, wow, that’s a serious playoff goal.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
I think Kane is the straw that breaks the camels back. If we get him they might even cancel the playoffs and just award the cup to us.

Three lines with offensive bite to them is a matchup nightmare. Accari on the 4th line will be a great pick up come April 18th!

Reactions: Arzak

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
They're done. Just need coach not to be dumb and we're good.

I'll take more obviously like a bruising D but this team is best in league easy right now.

Really? Its a mentality issue... They need to change the way they play... No more pond hockey... more defensive and responsible.... more finishing checks and hitting

Reactions: maskingagent

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
This would be a start

1676930624148.gif

Reactions: HolyCrap

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
"Defense wins Championships"

"Good teams are built from the goalie out, through strong defense and strength down the middle".

Unfortunately trying to mask your weaknesses, by outscoring your mistakes and defensive breakdowns while trying to compensate for having the weaker goalie in a series is often false hope.

Leafs strategy of 1/2 your salary cap built of 4 highly skilled forwards has proven to be a flawed strategy and Leafs hold the longest losing streak of even winning a series never mind needing to win 4 rounds to hoist a Cup.
EDM wins rounds with no goaltending and defense. They score LOTS. next.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Another Defenceman
Another Left Winger

With what assets? I have no clue. I don't think Toronto can do either.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
For Samsonov and/or Murray to be good in net.

I got what I wanted this deadline, I said from day 1, I wanted ROR, because I felt like if they brought him in they'd a center core NOBODY could touch.

Well we haven't seen that yet Tavares has been on the wing which in some ways is even more hilarious.

but ROR is here now and that 3 headed monster that I spoke about is an actual option

Do I want to see them pick up JVR, or Nyquivst, or Max Domi, or Tyler Bertuzzi?

Yeah I do, why? because f*** it why not? this team is top 5 in the league stack
this roster as much as possible.

But is it needed? I don't know you already have arguably the best center core in the league at literally ANY time you choose to have it.

Bunting Matthews Marner

Tavares ROR Nylander

That top 6 can't win a title? You sure?

Bunting Matthews Marner

Jarnkork Tavares Nylander.

Engvall ROR Kerfoot

Acciari Kampf ZAR

That top 12 can't win a title with that center depth? are you sure?

I mean I'd like another forward so Engvall can go to line 4, and Kerfoot can
just go. But tha forward group is more than good enough.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Realistically what assets do Toronto have left to use (excluding Knies)? Can Dubas round out this team still?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Following the Blackhawk game it appears they need more heart, or maybe there is a certain superstar who is the issue, a star without heart.
In the Habs game ROR started and AM looked pissed on the bench. Has he taken the adding of ROR with heart and a strong voice as an insult?
ROR was directing players on face offs and cycling, Is that a challenge to AM.
Marner seemed still inspired.
Will players choose sides?
Just a thought.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
EDM wins rounds with no goaltending and defense. They score LOTS. next.
If the Leafs don't win (who also score lots) it will be because of their defense and goaltending was not good enough.

That is because they invested toooo much cap $$$ into tooooo few players & all forwards. IMO

This team could use a Jake Muzzin replacement in style and ability playing in their top 4 and they need a proven "reliable" backup goalie in case Murray is unavailable and then we have to hope that Samsonov who has 1 NHL playoff win to his name in his career, & can beat proven winners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleetus and Petrus

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Repeating myself:

I don't know why we wouldn't kick tires on Nick Seeler and Nicholas Deslauriers. The outlay can't be beyond what we have on the ice that's redundant - and yes I'm talking about Kerfoot.

Holmberg is the preferred option waiting for Kerfoot to be moved I would think.

Seeler makes $775,000 for the next two seasons.
Deslauriers makes $1,750,000 for the next three after this one.

These aren't premium pieces or sell-high even at a trade deadline.

For a golf-bound team like Philadelphia, I would think Kerfoot's expiring contract holds value. Add a 2024 4th, an AHL guy, a C-level prospect; Along with ROR and Acciari, that's a whole lot more grit and menace than we had before.

Following the Blackhawk game it appears they need more heart, or maybe there is a certain superstar who is the issue, a star without heart.
In the Habs game ROR started and AM looked pissed on the bench. Has he taken the adding of ROR with heart and a strong voice as an insult?
Just a thought.
Interesting.

Worth watching it all unfold certainly.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Just a thought.
Insane insight.
Matthews doesn't start every game and everyone knew ROR would start the game.

Players want to win, everyone on the Team would be delighted to have a player like ROR join.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
A whole bunch of serious give-a-crap, with hearty cup of piss-and-vinegar for every player's water bottle.....

Insane insight.

Players want to win, everyone on the Team would be delighted to have a player like ROR join.
Read it, blinked after reading it, saw the Poster, laughed, moved on......

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Insane insight.

Maybe insane, I hope, but AM has been a little mysterious this season, injured, lower scoring, just looks different than last season, less intense, less goal hungry.
He was exalted last season, basked in the glory of success, and it is possible that he reacts negatively to new leadership introduction.
Yes players would love ROR except 2. The guy pushed to Marlies and maybe one who feels pushed aside from his pedestal, maybe even bumped from Keefe's go to guy.
Don't give me the bs that all players and their egos can't get their noses out of joint. He is a pampered star from Arizona. It happens in all sports when the star has to share more of the spot light, whether it is Lebron, or OBJ. Dubas just told the core they are not good enough to win. This isn't bringing in Foligno who was no threat. ROR, is Ontario boy, who will take one of their salaries. This is a culture shift.
Hope I am wrong, but the room can affect people differently.
We shall see in the next week or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad