Speculation: What do you think this team needs to win the cup?

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
This might be the best Leafs team I’ve seen in the Matthews era. My skepticism about the goaltending tandem is fading away, the team is playing well defensively, and the big four are producing. I feel this team is more well rounded that last years team.

That being said, the roster isn’t perfect. What additions would you like to see heading into the playoffs?

I’d like to see ROR, but I wouldn’t mind a Nick Paul type of add either. A player who plays a simple game, and will play that game whether they’re up 10 goals or down 10 goals. All they do is take the puck to the net. Adding that to the second line would make this team much better imo.

What say you?

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
A miracle.

To be honest, I really can't picture us going through Tampa and then Boston and then maybe the Hurricanes and then whoever in the final.

We've never been the luckiest of franchises and playoffs require some luck along the way.

Unfortunately I see a 1st round exit again, but would absolutely love to see them advance.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
1) Most important!
A winning mindset and attitude. Absolutely hate to lose. Either you have it or you don't!
Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Less lip service and more "go out and do it" persona. There is "no savior" coming to help; you have to help yourself. Get off of your ass and go do it! Period!

2) No to be outcoached/outsmarted by opposition coach

3) A GM that can acknowledge their mistake and change/adapt strategy as the situation changes (pandemic, cap space, available options in coaching, player personnel, etc.)

4) Engage teams physically, start scrums, and make other teams uncomfortable when offense isn't coming.

5) Puck management -> DO NOT make fancy plays when time/space not available. Go to the net ffs; or shoot the puck and look for rebounds

6) Do not rely on perimeter hockey, it won't work. Has never worked for any team in NHL history

7) Accountability!!! -> when someone Fs up bench them; start now do not wait till the playoffs. it will show that everyone is working towards a "TEAM" goal not individual goals.

8) No more coddling. When going gets tough, the tough get going.

9) Win 50-50 puck battles. Skate, Skate, Skate to get to the puck first. Win those 50-50 puck battles and board battles.

10) Learn to take a hit to make plays. Simply put: grow some balls

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
a money incentive.

that's what our pukes care about. that's what apparently motivates them. give them all big bonuses if they win the first round. Let them post on social media with their stacks.

follow by giving them a red carpet entrance into every arena. Live stream it. Have our "fans" vote on their outfits. That'll give them some motivation.

At the raptors game last night, I noticed fans were able to vote on the "fits" of the various raptors, I can see that's what motivates the kids these days. "Fits". pathetic.

offer mitchy an oversized stuffed toy mouse if he scores in the playoffs.

our fanbase deserves this team. the current leafs embody our fanbase perfectly.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Patty Kane playing with AM and Bunting and let Willie runs the 3rd line with Holmberg and Engvall to create the Swedish express.
Then Patty Kane will score those OT and Series Clinching goals. Leafs win the Cup and Kane signs with Sabres in the off season and score on us till he retires, lol.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The most important thing we (and any cup winner) needs is good - or absent that, clutch - goaltending. We have a good chance of winning any series where we get better or equal goaltending than our opponent. Unfortunately, our 1st round opponent has the best playoff goalie of the generation, and our likely 2nd round opponent has the Vezina frontrunner (yay playoff system), but hopefully the difference from past years is that we also finally have a goalie who has proven themselves before in critical playoff moments. At this point you just have to make the rest of the team as good as possible. There isn't really a specific need so much as there's just some places where we could really supercharge the team.

Reactions: kb

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
"You play like you practice and you practice how you play."

Sure it's just a game here and there in the regular season but you don't just flip a switch when the playoffs come and expect your skills to keep up with a new mentality.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad