Line Combos: What do you think the line combos will be for the start of the 19/20 season?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I've been watching more clips of Gaetan Haas, and I can see him becoming a third line winger for us. Has a rocket of a shot and great skating. And shoots right. maybe even an option for the first powerplay, has a wicked one-timer.

Of the older Euros Hollands signed, Haas is the one I'm most confident about. Imo he has the least flaws in his game, as he reminds me a bit of poorman's Silfverberg (mainly the shot and two-way game) or perhaps Calle Järnkrok. It wouldn't surprise me to see him win the #3 centre job.

At the moment, I'm liking the idea of a Gandlund-Haas-Chiasson/Gagner 3rd line. Puljujarvi could also be a decent fit there.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Of the older Euros Hollands signed, Haas is the one I'm most confident about. Imo he has the least flaws in his game, as he reminds me a bit of poorman's Silfverberg (mainly the shot and two-way game) or perhaps Calle Järnkrok. It wouldn't surprise me to see him win the #3 centre job.

At the moment, I'm liking the idea of a Gandlund-Haas-Chiasson/Gagner 3rd line. Puljujarvi could also be a decent fit there.

Yeah that's the same third line I have.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

21 teams were interested in Nygard. Haas played in a league that’s maybe comparable to the AHL probably not even as good. He’ll be a 4th liner at best.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Brassard - RNH - Neal
Chiasson - Granlund - Gagner
Nygard - Khaira - Archibald
Cave, Brodziak

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If we actually landed Brassard, I don’t actually hate the lineup for next year. It’s still not good, and we need bounce back seasons out of Neal, Brassard, and Gags as well as Nygard being able to make the jump. But it also still means we likely shouldn’t see Russell/Malone/Zykov types in the lineup.

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Chiasson - Nuge - Neal
Nygard - Brassard - Gagner
Khaira - Granlund - Archibald
Cave/Haas/Jurco
Brodziak

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Line 1 - Loaded Up Dominant // Expectation: 100 Goals (40/40/20) @ 20 MIN/GAME
Draisaitl-McDavid-Neal
Proven chemistry between our big 2, two shooters for McDavid to hand gifts, and a pure shooter in a resurgent Neal for Draisaitl to also utilize.

Line 2 - Light Minute Match-Up Specialized // Expectation: 55 Goals (15/25/15) @ 16 MIN/GAME
Brassard-Nuge-Kassian
High offensive creativity pair in Nuge and a motivated Brassard. Kassian crashing, net driving. W/o Brassard, would have Benson here.

Line 3 - Veteran Focused Checking // Expectation: 30 Goals (12/8/10) @ 12 MIN/GAME
Chiasson-Khaira-Gagner
I honestly cannot decide what goes here. I know the puzzle box has a picture of a "3rd/4th" line on it, but the pieces don't fit great. Style mix isn't there.

Line 4 - Speed Focused Checking //
Expectation: 24 Goals (8/8/8) @ 12 MIN/GAME
Nygard-Granlund-Archibald
Tippett's style or system or whatever we call it will be on full display with this line. Win all the races to the puck and funnel to the net.

FWD Goals For - 199

Extras

Gambardella/Haas/Jurco
Condors Top Line
Benson-Marody-Yamamoto

Pairing 1 - Swedish Shutdown // Expectation: 18 Goals (15/3) @ 23 MIN/GAME
Klefbom-Larsson
Out of sheer necessity, these two are together. Klefbom is solid, Larsson has been anything but for 2 years. He needs to find his 16/17 form.

Pairing 2 - Skating Puck Moving // Expectation: 19 Goals (12/7) @ 20 MIN/GAME
Nurse-Jones
I really liked what we saw from Jones. Nurse has improved every year, linchpin as the 2LD for me. Need quick skating/passing and quick decisions

Pairing 3 - Steady Simple Strong Bottom // Expectation: 9 Goals (2/7) @ 17 MIN/GAME
Russell-Benning
No problem with either of these guys in this exact spot. Bottom pairing only, utilize against weaker competition.

Extras
Persson
Condors Top Four
Lagesson-Bouchard
Samoroukov-Bear

DEF Goals For - 46

TOTAL Goals For - 245

Powerplay 1
---------------NET--------------
------------
Chiasson-------------
--
Nuge---------------------------
---------------
Drai---------------
--------------------------
McD---
------------
Nurse----------------

Powerplay 2
---------------NET--------------
------------
Granlund------------
---------------------------Neal---
------------
Brassard-------------
--
Gags----------------------------
-----------------
Klef--------------

Reactions: TopCheese

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If there’s truth to the brassard rumours.

Kassian - McDavid - Drai
Gagner - RNH - Neal
Chiasson - Brassard - Granlund
Nygard - Brodziak - Khaira
Archibald - Jurco

Kelfbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Persson

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
If Tippett's track record in Arizona means as much as I think:

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Neal - RNH - Chiasson
Granlund - Brassard - Archibald
Khaira - Marody - Gagner
Jurco - Nygard

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Jones
Persson

Smith
Koskinen

Brodziak and Manning buried in the AHL

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Brassard - RNH - Neal
Chiasson - Granlund - Gagner
Nygard - Khaira - Archibald
Cave, Brodziak
Neal - RNH - Chiasson
Nygard - Granlund - Gagner
Khaira - Cave - Archibald
Jurco, XXXX

Neal - McDavid - Draisaitl
Granlund - RNH - Gagner
Nygard - XXXX - Chiasson
Khaira - Cave - Kassian
Archibald, Jurco

Brodziak buried. Meh to no Brassard.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
What I think happens

Draisailt - McDavid - Kassian
Benson - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Haas - Chiasson
Nygard - Khaira - Gagner

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard

What I'd do

Draisailt - McDavid - Kassian
Benson - RNH - Neal
Nygard - Granlund - Chiasson
Khaira - Haas - Archibald

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Jones
Russell - Bouchard

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's hard to make a set roster because there are so many variables and so many new bodies coming into camp (which is a good thing because last season's bottom 6 was sad).

Haas and Nygard as well as Persson are complete unknowns at the NHL level.

Guys like Granlund/Neal/Archibald will be on the roster... but exactly where remains to be seen.

I like that there will be healthy competition for roster spots and guys like Bear/Jones/Lagesson on D and Marody/Gambardella/Currie/Benson/Yamamoto all should have legit chances at cracking the roster if they show well.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I wish we will see a Khaira - Haas - Archibald fourth line :naughty:

A bit of size, festiness, grit and scoring ability

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
21 teams were interested in Nygard. Haas played in a league that’s maybe comparable to the AHL probably not even as good. He’ll be a 4th liner at best.

21 teams? You interviewed the GMs? What made him sign with the oilers if that is true? Because of McDavid?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
21 teams? You interviewed the GMs? What made him sign with the oilers if that is true? Because of McDavid?
Stauffer said it on oilers now. Felt the Oilers would be a good fit for his skill set and had a lot of opportunity on the wing.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I might be the only one here... but I'm actually hoping for a bounce back season from Brodziak.

He could be truly finished at 35 after the season he just had BUT there's a chance that he was a "victim" (collectively along with many others) of the historically bad bottom 6 underperforming all at once and there's a chance he rebounds back to being a decent option as a good 2 way #4C as he's shown in the past.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Cave gets a lot of flack here but look at the linemates he was thrown with and different linemates every second game for him.

Reactions: Mr Positive

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What would you guys run with Mcdavid Draisaitl and Nuge at C?
I feel this would be a terrible decision on the part of the coaching staff. The wingers just aren't there to sacrifice what little scoring power they currently have to try and stretch it out across 3 lines.

Meaning I sat here and tried but was disgusted with everything I came up with because there's just way too many question marks in Haas, Nygard, Benson, Granlund and Jurco.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What would you guys run with Mcdavid Draisaitl and Nuge at C?
I don't see it as a possibility unless Benson, Marody and Yamamoto can contribute. Maybe by Christmas they will be able to step in full time.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
If Tippett's track record in Arizona means as much as I think:

Drai - McDavid - Kassian
Neal - RNH - Chiasson
Granlund - Brassard - Archibald
Khaira - Marody - Gagner
Jurco - Nygard

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Jones
Persson

Smith
Koskinen

Brodziak and Manning buried in the AHL

Tippet did an interview this summer and he said

Looking at Neal to be on RNH left wing
Looking at Haas and Khaira for the 3rd and 4th line spot.

And Nygard had 21 teams pursuing him... no way he is not on the starting line up.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I might be the only one here... but I'm actually hoping for a bounce back season from Brodziak.

He could be truly finished at 35 after the season he just had BUT there's a chance that he was a "victim" (collectively along with many others) of the historically bad bottom 6 underperforming all at once and there's a chance he rebounds back to being a decent option as a good 2 way #4C as he's shown in the past.

That was definitely the case that he was with some pathetic bottom 6 players, it was quite the mix bag on the bottom 6. Hopefully he has some juice left in the tank to have a respectable enough season. He is a gamer.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I appreciate your confidence in Haas. Have you seen him play?
I am just curious as to why you are so confident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad