Line Combos: What do you think the line combos will be for the start of the 19/20 season?

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
One word: Kailer Yamamoto. Now that his wrist is healed up I’m really looking forward to him making the lineup and showing what he can do.

With his speed and skill I see him slotting in great on Connors wing. A healthy Kailer could get 20-30 goals.
Would love this to come true, but little evidence to it being so. Think he starts in the A.

Reactions: Aerchon

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I see it something like this with RWs basically moving up and down the line-up.
Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson
maybe Benson-RNH-Neal
Granlund-Sheahan-Kassian
Khaira-Hass-Archibald
Nygard, Gagner

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Nurse
Benning-Jones
Bouchard

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Hi everyone, just 2 cents regarding Nygård from someone who's seen him play over 300 times.
I think you guys would make a huge mistake if you play him on less than a thirdline winger minutes and if so, I think his contact will be wasted.
After playing 5 full seasons in the SHL with progression each year I think he is more than ready for 2nd or 3rd line duty once he's gotten used to the smaller rink size.

He is so explosive in his first couple of strides and his topspeed with puckcontrol is just amazing. In the SHL he was a solid two-way winger with offensive upside that were a mainstay on both PK and PP.

Hope you guys can keep him developing. He has really been one of the best in the SHL the couple of last seasons.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hi everyone, just 2 cents regarding Nygård from someone who's seen him play over 300 times.
I think you guys would make a huge mistake if you play him on less than a thirdline winger minutes and if so, I think his contact will be wasted.
After playing 5 full seasons in the SHL with progression each year I think he is more than ready for 2nd or 3rd line duty once he's gotten used to the smaller rink size.

He is so explosive in his first couple of strides and his topspeed with puckcontrol is just amazing. In the SHL he was a solid two-way winger with offensive upside that were a mainstay on both PK and PP.

Hope you guys can keep him developing. He has really been one of the best in the SHL the couple of last seasons.

Good to hear. Thx for the report. I am very anxious to see him and Persson.
Sounds like u live in Sweden full time. How do you rate that league to the KHL? Also, any fights in the SHL?

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Good to hear. Thx for the report. I am very anxious to see him and Persson.
Sounds like u live in Sweden full time. How do you rate that league to the KHL? Also, any fights in the SHL?
Yeah I'm a swede. :)
I think SHL is a better league due to a faster pace of hockey, it's also more tactical with players that are very skilled with working with the stick to make defensive sound plays and are very aware of working as one unit. Also I think you see more players from the SHL that are willing to attack the goal in a way that are simmilar to the NHL way. This is also something that NA players that join SHL from KHL say, players like Gelinas and Blum.

Edit: About the fighting, there are some but the penalties are so high that it's regular thing.
If you drop the gloves you get matchpenalty and most likely a 3-4 game suspension and fines.

If the gloves stay on, mostly still matchpenalty but no suspension. Sometimes they hand out 2+2+10 for roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct.

My personal view is that I see a need for fighting as long as dirty plays are permitted and not adressed by the refs in a better way. I prefer seeing a forthliner miss a few games than having the rest of the teams have a freepass on playing dirty on our best players.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yeah I'm a swede. :)
I think SHL is a better league due to a faster pace of hockey, it's also more tactical with players that are very skilled with working with the stick to make defensive sound plays and are very aware of working as one unit. Also I think you see more players from the SHL that are willing to attack the goal in a way that are simmilar to the NHL way. This is also something that NA players that join SHL from KHL say, players like Gelinas and Blum.

Edit: About the fighting, there are some but the penalties are so high that it's regular thing.
If you drop the gloves you get matchpenalty and most likely a 3-4 game suspension and fines.

If the gloves stay on, mostly still matchpenalty but no suspension. Sometimes they hand out 2+2+10 for roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct.

My personal view is that I see a need for fighting as long as dirty plays are permitted and not adressed by the refs in a better way. I prefer seeing a forthliner miss a few games than having the rest of the teams have a freepass on playing dirty on our best players.

Thx for the info. Sweden is a great hockey nation. Also, u have some beautiful women there .

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
One word: Kailer Yamamoto. Now that his wrist is healed up I’m really looking forward to him making the lineup and showing what he can do.

With his speed and skill I see him slotting in great on Connors wing. A healthy Kailer could get 20-30 goals.

Not to burst your bubble but I’m not sure what we have with him. Wrist injury is a bad one. Seen him play live last year and he scored . He is a fan favourite , I’m just not sure what we have

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

With the holes we have I left wing I think he has a good shot to make it on the 2nd line. 3rd line worst case. We desperately need someone with his skill set. All comes down to how well he can adjust to the North American game.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
At the start of the season (in 20 games, it will be another lineup..)

Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Granlund - RNH - Neal
Nygård - Sheahan - Chiasson
Khaira - Haas - Archibald

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russel - Persson.

After 20 games :
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Nygård - RNH - Neal
Granlund - Haas - Archibald
Khaira - Sheahan - Chiasson

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Persson
Russel - Benning

I think Nygård brings an element of speedm zone entrys and cycling skills that Oilers need.
Neals is the weak link on the 2nd line. Chiasson is having a stable year, but not as perfect as last year. Jurco needs time to after christmas to be bringed back up to the big leauge.

Gagner is OKish, but is just surpassed on the charts, becasue Nygård takes his role. Haas is a stable brick in the puzzle. Bouchard is being patient with, comes up just before the all star break. I don´t think Sheahan finds a new spark,he is just a 4th line center with NHL experience. Weak center competition with the oilers. Watch a trade incoming for a new 4C, Gagner or Sheahan the other way.

Looks ok for me! But yes, a more cpmplete top 6 player besides RNH is wished. Not to many ´a lock for top 6´players in Oilers. 3 - 4 , with Nygård as maybe the 4th.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
On paper I think this is not bad. I would try Gagner on the second line. He's a smart player with skill, clearly not a centre anymore but he's got decent offense and put up some nice goals in limited games last year. If you put both Neal and Gagner on their offwing they are both prime shooting options for Nuge. My only concern with that is Nuge has a pretty wicked shot himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see that line click.

It's nice to see Kenny put an NHL roster together. Apart from one regular spot on D, we have a club full of NHLers. We have to see what Lagesson can do this year. He has been developing for a while now, if he can't produce in the big league this year I think his time is virtually up. I would bet that someone else takes that spot from him though.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Gagner-RNH-Neal
Granlund-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Cave-Chiasson

Extra: Nygard-Haas-Jurco

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Extra: Lagesson/Persson

Koskinen/Smith

So close, do I win a prize?

Ad