• Complete rebuild - yet again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
This has been kicking in my head since free agency cooled off.

As the team is now, and assuming no other major injuries, what would you want to happen if we don't make the playoffs?
I set it to just one option - so pick the most pressing in your opinion

(And it's also my first time making a poll, my apologies in advance - I tried to cover all possible scenarios even unlikely ones).

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
It all depends on the Why.
Sure. I tried to frame it such that no other injuries are an excuse and assuming the lineup we have now is what we play through the season. So to me it just means, that the team as currently configured isn't good enough to make the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There's a massive list of reasons of why Buffalo doesn't make the playoffs that may not even be something that is so terrible. They could miss the playoffs with a point total in the higher 90's, but the teams above them just played better, or were able to collect more points in games.

Without knowing why they missed the playoffs, it's awfully difficult to determine what should happen/decisions made. It truly could be anywhere from "do nothing significant and stay the course of patience to fire the coach/GM. But they all don't apply equally.

At most, If you give us scenarios we can probably give choices of what could happen.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing this poll at the end of the season IF they do miss the playoffs.

Reactions: brian_griffin

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
There's a massive list of reasons of why Buffalo doesn't make the playoffs that may not even be something that is so terrible. They could miss the playoffs with a point total in the higher 90's, but the teams above them just played better, or were able to collect more points in games.

Without knowing why they missed the playoffs, it's awfully difficult to determine what should happen/decisions made. It truly could be anywhere from "do nothing significant and stay the course of patience to fire the coach/GM. But they all don't apply equally.

At most, If you give us scenarios we can probably give choices of what could happen.

With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing this poll at the end of the season IF they do miss the playoffs.
Good point. I was taking it from the stances of the high expectations many have. And wondering if regardless of excuse whether or not missing is acceptable.

I hope and am planning for it to not be an applicable post at the end of the season but I could do it then. I just thought it might be an interesting distraction as we await more substantial content in the coming weeks.

I also just realized people have been responding to the poll I just didn't see cuz I didn't vote lol - I'll stop clogging the thread up with my responses 🤣

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
The problem there are 7 really good teams in the east that are almost considered locks for the playoffs: NJ, NYR, CAR, BOS TOR, TB, FLA.
That leaves teams like BUF, PIT, OTT, DET, WAS, NYI all competing for one spot

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The problem there are 7 really good teams in the east that are almost considered locks for the playoffs: NJ, NYR, CAR, BOS TOR, TB, FLA.
That leaves teams like BUF, PIT, OTT, DET, WAS, NYI all competing for one spot
I'll believe Boston is lock when I see it. I truly believe both WCs are wide open......and the 3 slot in the Atlantic might be open too depending on how Florida adjusts to their injuries.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Adams should be fired. Last year was a missed opportunity and this year would be worse if we miss. Granato is a good coach. The roster issues have been apparent for a while now. Not addressing them this offseason was beyond frustrating and KA should be held accountable for not reaching the playoffs in this hypothetical situation. Considering the assets and cap space, it actually made sense to improve the NHL roster from an organizational perspective. Instead we signed Connor Clifton….

Reactions: Husko

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Depends on the situation. If Adams again does nothing to improve the situation during the season, then it is better for him to move to the role of POHO and hire another GM.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Good point. I was taking it from the stances of the high expectations many have. And wondering if regardless of excuse whether or not missing is acceptable.

I hope and am planning for it to not be an applicable post at the end of the season but I could do it then. I just thought it might be an interesting distraction as we await more substantial content in the coming weeks.

I also just realized people have been responding to the poll I just didn't see cuz I didn't vote lol - I'll stop clogging the thread up with my responses 🤣
IMO, there's still room for progress while still making the playoffs. I think Granato and Adams' jobs are safe for another 2-3 years with even the smallest of progress made, with how the top people of the organization seem to be feeling and handling things.

My question, that I am wondering, if we're looking for a discussion, is how low of regression would the team need to make, for Granato and Adams' jobs to start to be on the hot seat for fans here.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
IMO, there's still room for progress while still making the playoffs. I think Granato and Adams' jobs are safe for another 2-3 years with even the smallest of progress made, with how the top people of the organization seem to be feeling and handling things.

My question, that I am wondering, if we're looking for a discussion, is how low of regression would the team need to make, for Granato and Adams' jobs to start to be on the hot seat for fans here.
I would say 1 year. At this stage one or two more wins isn't progression barring catastrophe. If they don't move forward this season, someone's ass should be cooking.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The lack of action should absolutely result in repercussions on Adams.

No other team would do nothing in their situation. With the amount of assets they have. With the cap space and needs.

Just him.

That has to start mattering to someone.

Failure to act is not a plan. Nothing is not a direction.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This has been kicking in my head since free agency cooled off.

As the team is now, and assuming no other major injuries, what would you want to happen if we don't make the playoffs?
I set it to just one option - so pick the most pressing in your opinion

(And it's also my first time making a poll, my apologies in advance - I tried to cover all possible scenarios even unlikely ones).
Nothing but this board will implode

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I think from where the team is now, what they have locked up, and the pieces still coming, playoffs are inevitable eventually. If they don't make it this year, they shouldn't make a trade because we didnt make it. We should make a trade for a top 4d at that point (or now) because a Stanley Cup is not inevitable from where we are. I'd go as far as to say we can't win a Stanley Cup unless we bring in another really good defenseman.

I believe Adams knows how to identify which players to make a big trade for, and that is no small thing. I'm basing that on who he's been rumored to be interested in and also who he hasn't pursued. He's capable of making the move we need and I believe he will eventually.

I just think there have been opportunities to do that already and he hasn't done it out of a misguided notion about patience and discipline. He's in love with the idea of organizational depth and he thinks trading a couple valuable assets puts that at risk. I just disagree.

He thinks he's being prudent and smart. I think he's being passive and too afraid to make a mistake.

I think we're going have success with Adams at the helm, it's just question of how much success and when, and his action/inaction will dictate the answers.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
What happens??

The big one finally puts me out of my misery......

54 years of frustration is enough....

The following season, they win the Cup. But I'll never know 'cause....

Me and RJ will be tossing back shots...........lol

• Haha
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
How bad and in what way…

Goaltending kills them in an embarrassing way? Krebs breaks his back, we won’t let him get surgery and we trade him back to Vegas. Maybe GM.

Tage regresses to guy struggling to score 15, Mitts plays like Golden Era Novotny and Dahlin finishes minus 45? Granato.

Anything less, those seats are “someone was just sitting here” warm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad