What do you think should happen if the Sabres miss the playoffs

• Complete rebuild - yet again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Which option involves trading away many of our compiled prospects and/or whatever 2024 draft picks to put us over the top with ready now players? I want that one. Wouldve been open to it last off season fwiw.

Reactions: Vito_81

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Which option involves trading away many of our compiled prospects and/or whatever 2024 draft picks to put us over the top with ready now players? I want that one. Wouldve been open to it last off season fwiw.
To avoid having too many response options I considered a main piece to be a core current roster player so prospects would fall under the not trade main piece option. No matter how you cut it, I think there will be subjectivity in the respondent's part.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think the teams that make the playoffs should play each other in accordance with an agreed upon format until one team emerges the winner.
I was searching for this option - i.e., let the other 16 teams play - but didn't see it. I got confused. But at least you and I agree!!!

Reactions: 42

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I think OP should be tortured slowly to death because he jinxed it.
What did Owen Power do to deserve that?

If the Sabres are picking top-5 in the draft next year, then coach and GM seat should be extremely warm. Possibly about to spontaneously combust.

If the team plays okay, but comfortably misses the playoffs then their seat should be a little bit warm.

If the team plays well and is a bubble playoff team, then it is disappointing but we play in a really good division.

A caveat for injuries and other circumstances possibly making me more understanding.

If we barely miss the playoffs and do nothing at the deadline, I’ll be very annoyed, but there will be no repercussions in that scenario for Adams because Pegula will have signed off on that approach.

Reactions: michaelsaas

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Where's the option for Pegula to sell the team?

I think from where the team is now, what they have locked up, and the pieces still coming, playoffs are inevitable eventually. If they don't make it this year, they shouldn't make a trade because we didnt make it. We should make a trade for a top 4d at that point (or now) because a Stanley Cup is not inevitable from where we are. I'd go as far as to say we can't win a Stanley Cup unless we bring in another really good defenseman.

I believe Adams knows how to identify which players to make a big trade for, and that is no small thing. I'm basing that on who he's been rumored to be interested in and also who he hasn't pursued. He's capable of making the move we need and I believe he will eventually.

I just think there have been opportunities to do that already and he hasn't done it out of a misguided notion about patience and discipline. He's in love with the idea of organizational depth and he thinks trading a couple valuable assets puts that at risk. I just disagree.

He thinks he's being prudent and smart. I think he's being passive and too afraid to make a mistake.

I think we're going have success with Adams at the helm, it's just question of how much success and when, and his action/inaction will dictate the answers.
After 12 years, you would hope playoffs are inevitable. But I have faith.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If we barely miss the playoffs and do nothing at the deadline, I’ll be very annoyed, but there will be no repercussions in that scenario for Adams because Pegula will have signed off on that approach.
You may be very annoyed. This team is 50% to make the playoffs. They are $8.7 M under cap with $2 M more in space about to open. They are not all in on trying to make it this year

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If they miss the playoffs and the defensive play and PK are still abysmal, <75%, and they don't at least change out an assistant coach or two, then Adams and Granato should both be demoted to Rochester.

If the D and PK don't improve and they miss the playoffs but they change assistant coaches next off-season, while frustrating, I think Adams and Granato get another year but should be labelled as "slow learners"...

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Our GM does well with the draft.
However he lacks in the FA and Trade departments.
Let KA keep doing the draft but bring someone in to handle trades and free agency.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yeah, Pegula is good news for the Sabres staying in Buffalo. The guy took a stable franchise and put it at the bottom of the league in attendance. He's a saviour. I know.

If he sells I don't think they'll beat Atlanta. I don't see teams clamoring for the Ducks and Devils to be sold, they each had worse attendance.

Keep wearing those blue pajamas.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Sure. I tried to frame it such that no other injuries are an excuse and assuming the lineup we have now is what we play through the season. So to me it just means, that the team as currently configured isn't good enough to make the playoffs.
your framing is too simple for me to give you an answer because there are certain injuries to key players that would derail any team.
I hope the season starts soon so we can talk actual hockey instead of painting black.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Everyone should be fired if they miss the playoffs, again. It's not that hard to make the playoffs in the NHL. A drought this long should be completely unacceptable.

This regime took over an absolute dumpster fire organization just three years ago, and had to build from that. The drought before them is only relevant to describe how bad the situation was that they inherited.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
There's a massive list of reasons of why Buffalo doesn't make the playoffs that may not even be something that is so terrible. They could miss the playoffs with a point total in the higher 90's, but the teams above them just played better, or were able to collect more points in games.

Without knowing why they missed the playoffs, it's awfully difficult to determine what should happen/decisions made. It truly could be anywhere from "do nothing significant and stay the course of patience to fire the coach/GM. But they all don't apply equally.

This is really the only correct answer right now IMO.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
your framing is too simple for me to give you an answer because there are certain injuries to key players that would derail any team.
I hope the season starts soon so we can talk actual hockey instead of painting black.
In my post I said assuming no other major injuries.

I also am not sure what you mean by painting black? I've been pretty consistent and optimistic about this team over the last several years. I just wanted to see where people are at because a lot of posters seem upset with the state of the team and others are the opposite. But at the end of the day, participating in these polls is thankfully not mandatory. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Doubtful much. The front office will take a victory lap regardless of results and claim it's part of the process.

Edit: Misread. Above is what WILL happen.

What should happen is a front office restructure with someone who has experience building a consistent playoff roster.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If he sells I don't think they'll beat Atlanta. I don't see teams clamoring for the Ducks and Devils to be sold, they each had worse attendance.

Keep wearing those blue pajamas.

The Devils have been living off a TV deal in the largest metro in the US. I hate the fact they have a team. The state of the Sabres is nowhere near where it was when he took over. Maybe if he lets Adams just run things, he can fix the mess.

Everyone should be fired if they miss the playoffs, again. It's not that hard to make the playoffs in the NHL. A drought this long should be completely unacceptable.

It should but isn't by some.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It all comes down to the goaltending.

If Levi isn't ready to be the guy that backstops them to the playoffs...
That's why it was so important to find a goalie this offseason, we had everything for it, but here we are again and we hope that Levi will immediately become that guy, and Comrie and UPL, who are more like AHL goalies, should improve decently.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's why it was so important to find a goalie this offseason, we had everything for it, but here we are again and we hope that Levi will immediately become that guy, and Comrie and UPL, who are more like AHL goalies, should improve decently.
The problem was that there were not a lot of quality goalies on the move this offseason, especially on the trade market which is where the Sabres would likely have looked first with Levi, UPL, and Comrie all signed for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad