What do you think of our crowd this year?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
In year 1 the crowds cheered just for having hockey back, what happened on the ice had little impact on the overall noise level. Now what happens on the ice impacts noise level. The crowd wants to cheer, they are just looking for something to cheer. The loudest game I was at this year was when we beat Detroit 4-2 on a Monday night. Probably the Jets best game of the year and the crowd was giving it.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Lots of non-season ticket holders showing up regularly in my section and they aren't bringing much of anything. Either due to lack of familiarity or lack of effort. Folks in front of me at the last game I was at (Blues) seemed put out to stand up for the national anthems :shakehead

But yeah, on-ice product stinking = no cheering. Winnipeg fans understand hockey. First season = pandemonium at every game because we have a team. Now, c'mon guys, we've seen good play and this isn't it. I'm 2-6 so far this year, Jets are 7-12 at home. First year they were 14-11; second year 23-20. It doesn't take much to keep us happy apparently but we're trending the wrong way at home right now. Happy idiots the fans are not.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Ok so 4 goals scored so far in this game and plenty to cheer about but the crowd feels quiet still!

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We'll never be as enthusiastic during the regular season as we were in year one, and this was fully expected, imo. That type of enthusiasm is unsustainable.

(That being said, it's swung a little too far into the quiet side for my liking this season.)

I 100% agree. The fans in year one were loud due to the nostalgia of having the team back and for many of the fans this was the first games they were going to.

HOWEVER, I believe when the team plays in the playoffs they will reach a new high for crowd excitement.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
I 100% agree. The fans in year one were loud due to the nostalgia of having the team back and for many of the fans this was the first games they were going to.

HOWEVER, I believe when the team plays in the playoffs they will reach a new high for crowd excitement.

Playoffs? What does that mean?

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I was at the game, the atmosphere from the get go was much much better! Crowd was in it, the team was in it. Though I did notice that the stupid contests during TV timeouts cooled things off a bit again.... they need to do away with that crap.

The crowd did a solid 5 minute wave in the third period. The least we could do to support the team that decided to actually show up to the game.

I would agree, whomever thinks the crowd was quiet last night should consider getting their ears checked.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I was on the jumbotron last night :help: Helps when you're sitting in a section that is ful of rowdy people! Even the old guy beside me was yelling and cheering all game.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Event Production

Other than the on ice product, nothing is going to motivate the fan base more than the music. I'm always completely unimpressed by the music selections. I realize a significant portion of the demographic is 40+, but even my Grandma knows who Robin Thicke is. Eating off the seniors menu, doesn't mean you don't listen to top 40 radio.

Seems to me the entire playlist at MTS Centre could just as easily have been that of Jets 1.0, minus Van Halen's "Jump" which I've yet to hear at a game.

I'm not calling for a boycott on rock anthems of the 70's/80's, nor am I suggesting a pro Miley Cyrus stance here, but I am pointing out Jets 2.0 seems haplessly unaware of pop culture trends.

Someone needs to get these guys a Billboard Magazine subscription .

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I use phoenix intentionally...we have spent so long here in Winnipeg being smug at them...they don't deserve hockey, they don't know anything about it...etc etc...we are the loudest crowd in the NHL and its all about the hockey...

well....the game I went to the energy in the building was better than in Winnipeg...even with 1/3 of the seats empty....the fans were into it, they were loud...it was fun even though I didn't care about the game....it just annoyed me to see what a little bit of effort could do to transform the crowd.....its pretty clear that the attitudes of winnipeggers have changed...TNSE is going to have to work for our money a little bit....it needs to be fun if they win or not, because looking at this team, we might have to find our enjoyment out of more than wins for quite some time.

You're trying to tell me that if Phoenix's arena is louder than Winnipeg's even if it's 1/2 full? You're saying that if you add a few Ice Dancing girls, a few more free hot dog promotions and more puzzle games on the Jumbotron that you'd enjoy the product more?

I know the point you're trying to make, but you're over exaggerating the "enthusiasm" at a Coyotes game for something more than it is. You can get that enthusiasm if you went to a park on Sunday with a megaphone and a truck full of free popsicles. Don't get it twisted.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Less dumb games with Wheeler where you win no matter what.... Just play some music and show highlights during the brakes in plays..... Have a few sponsor commercials to pay the bills

kasps

Oct 14, 2013
It's still louder and more lively than most rinks in the NHL . Nothing will ever match the 1st year, that was on a different level. Last year the crowd was electric and INTENSE , going down the stretch when we were seriously contending for a playoff spot. When we went on a great run at the end of the year. This year , most fans realize we are in the toughest division in the league. Playoffs were not a reality from the start of the year. The crowds will get insane again, once when we start contending regularly .

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
our crowd is great. loud,passionate and yes can be hostile for opposition.i hope we never lose that. all i know is when i go i get pretty damn loud and have a lot of fun along with lots of other people. if the jets play hard ill cheer hard win or loss.best barn in the league. lets keep it that way!

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Other than the on ice product, nothing is going to motivate the fan base more than the music. I'm always completely unimpressed by the music selections. I realize a significant portion of the demographic is 40+, but even my Grandma knows who Robin Thicke is. Eating off the seniors menu, doesn't mean you don't listen to top 40 radio.

Seems to me the entire playlist at MTS Centre could just as easily have been that of Jets 1.0, minus Van Halen's "Jump" which I've yet to hear at a game.

I'm not calling for a boycott on rock anthems of the 70's/80's, nor am I suggesting a pro Miley Cyrus stance here, but I am pointing out Jets 2.0 seems haplessly unaware of pop culture trends.

So true...the dj needs to go to a few more socials or something
The cycling of fans will start next year, since Chevy doesn't seem too serious

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011

Ok, so this guy wants Robin Thicke played at Jets games.

Anything else?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So true...the dj needs to go to a few more socials or something
The cycling of fans will start next year, since Chevy doesn't seem too serious

wait is Chevy the DJ? why didn't I know about this?

:sarcasm:

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Who the blazes is Robin Thicke??

220px-Alan_Thicke_2010.jpg

:D

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
This seemed like the most relevant thread for this but let me know if I should make a new one...

I saw a thread on Reddit talking about one Blue Jackets fans experience at the MTS centre during the last game vs CBJ and I think it's worth reading. I know we're in a losing streak and it was an especially painful game but it's pretty sad to hear about, especially considering that we were winning at the start and had no reason to be so salty. I don't think anyone here would do this but it's just a shame to hear about - I know I'd like to think of Jets fans as some of the classiest in the league and so it kind of sucks to hear things like this.

SOURCE: REDDIT - "From a Blue Jackets fan to the Jets..."

FauxElement said:
Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to fellow Jets fans who are actually considerate of others, and I know there's a lot out there!

I was one of the very, very few Blue Jackets fans (I only saw two others at the game...) at the MTS Centre tonight, and despite the win for CBJ (****in' beautiful I might add) I was left a little disgusted by the fans...

I had come with my girlfriend (who was wearing a Pavelec jersey) and over the duration of the 1st and 2nd period, things started to go from regular to absolutely disgusting... After the first goal by Winnipeg I had a group of guys behind me yell profanities at me and cuss the Jackets out, while at the same time saying things towards my girlfriend that were a little unnecessary.

Once the 2nd period came and the Jackets scored the 4 goals, the heckling got much worse. Come the 3rd period and after the 5th goal by CBJ, one of the guys a few rows behind us threw his beer at me, missed and hit a little kid a few rows infront of us...Just ****ing disgraceful!

On top of that, half the arena ends up leaving because the Jets are down by 3 (even though it was an unsalvageable game, I always considered if you're a hockey fan, you stay to watch the damn game whether it's a win or lose!) and they even end up booing their own players and me as I was leaving the building.

I don't know if this is regular or not, but tonight ****ing irritated me beyond belief. I'm sure a good portion of Jets fans are considerate towards visiting team fans, but this was just horrible.

/rant

So yeah, I dunno... not exactly what I'd like to see from our crowd. What do you guys think? Have you seen anything like that at the MTS Centre?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad