What do you think of our crowd this year?

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Hard to find a lot to cheer about at home games this season considering the only thing the Winnipeg have been doing with some consistence at home this season has been getting blown out by the other team.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I was extremely vocal in my opposition to TNSE cancelling the Helmetpardy.
However once I found out the PM Harper was going to be in attendance I endorsed cancelling it.
No reason to give a drunken idiot a reason to feel brave.
I also think thats why made a statement weeks after it had been floated, they didn't squash it immediately I believe once they became aware he was coming things changed.. I truly believe that it was a pragmatic decision influenced by the PM's attendance.

What if PM Harper had joined the helmetpardy?

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
I think I'm 0-5 in home games so far this year. I'm likely one of those guys that's not whooping it up anymore.

Of course, I've never been one for the chants. They were good at first, but we jumped the shark with "Mario's Pool Boy"

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Sounds like you would have enjoyed the Timberwolves exhibition game - more side acts than a ****ing circus.

its not about a side show...its about creating energy....do you really like wheeler doing trivia contests at every single whistle?.....is that really the way to pump the crowd up...its not an educational session, its a hockey game....we mocked everywhere else for doing things like cheerleaders or whatever and not being loud for the sake of hockey, but 160 games into the jets coming back our arena has ZERO energy...hockey snobs or not, the in game production has something to do with it...its time TNSE got to work on it because when people are shelling out this kind of money its not just for the game on the ice, its for the experience in the arena.

how the heck do I get rid of this movie ad that keeps sucking up 50% of my screen...this site is brutal for ads.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
It's noticeable on TV how much quieter the crowd is this year. The loudest cheer at every home game is 15,000 people yelling the name of a corporate entity. I like this way to honor Chipman bringing them back but think it's funny that it's the name of a company that currently gets the most passionate reaction out of those in attendance.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Miss the creative chants :(

But the team used to be great at home, which give us excitement and reasons to cheer. Now it's questionable whether they'll even put on their skates.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
It's noticeable on TV how much quieter the crowd is this year. The loudest cheer at every home game is 15,000 people yelling the name of a corporate entity. I like this way to honor Chipman bringing them back but think it's funny that it's the name of a company that currently gets the most passionate reaction out of those in attendance.

No kidding, give the fans something to cheer about and they will be all over it. Another poster suggested more of an NBA (AHL) type of approach, balloons, louder music, jugglers, clowns, give-away's, having to kiss cam, furry mascots, prizes....NO, people here want to be entertained by the product itself; HOCKEY, distractions aren't needed unlike a certain team stuck in limbo in a desert or those suffering through a boring NBA game.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
^ I disagree....going to a game is an overall experience, like it or not...its not just about the hockey....their production value is horrible....worst of any arena I've ever been in....just play music...its as simple as that...stop talking so much...trivia questions suck the life out of the building.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010

Every time I walk through the doors at Wal-Mart, I yell at the top of my lungs, WALMART!!! in appreciation of them bringing me cheap disposable crap from China.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
^ I disagree....going to a game is an overall experience, like it or not...its not just about the hockey....their production value is horrible....worst of any arena I've ever been in....just play music...its as simple as that...stop talking so much...trivia questions suck the life out of the building.

True enough on that part, it's some of the other BS that I have seen at rinks in Florida that makes the overall experience reminiscent of the AHL. Also agree on the TNSE shout-out, it's getting old, though it is kind of neat when it's done in opposition rinks.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net

oh absolutely. it seems like every time we have a momentum boost, Wheeler pops up on the screen doing some meaningless Subway game where nobody wins anything and the momentum evaporates. They think 10 people out of 15,000 winning a $10 gas card is going to pump (see what i did there) the crowd up?... Are you kidding me?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
oh absolutely. it seems like every time we have a momentum boost, Wheeler pops up on the screen doing some meaningless Subway game where nobody wins anything and the momentum evaporates. They think 10 people out of 15,000 winning a $10 gas card is going to pump (see what i did there) the crowd up?... Are you kidding me?

I like the one where people win $25 at Dufresne. I get so excited! :sarcasm:

But those sponsors pony up whatever they're giving away, so can't really blame TNSE for the prizes.

Someone was slamming in-game production on the Big Show a week or so ago - said he's been to other rinks - specifically named one or two...Tampa I think? - and the Jets aren't even close. Jay got really mad/defensive. Said he sees first-hand the work and creativity involved and that the Jets in-game production is "second to none" - Liebl calls him on it "Well, have you seen a game in Tampa?" Jay of course hasn't...so Liebl says "I guess you can't really say then." I think Jay still insisted that Jets in-game is the best.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
crowd is weak this year.....we had a year and a bit of loud, energetic crowds....we barely cheer before the puck drop now...at least last year that was still there.....no chants at all....very negative energy as well....i wonder how long the 'loud' myth will last?

i went to a game in phoenix a few weeks ago....arena was 2/3 full but it was waaaay more lively....people were crazy...a lot of fun.

the in game entertainment was awesome too....everything was high energy, loud music...it was great....if I have to hear wheeler do another trivia contest at MTS i'm going to scream...its such a buzzkill....where is frolik from? how far away is nashville? who's clitsome's favourite player?...its so lame....its like they play hinterlands who's who sometimes...heres a history of terry sawchuk.....shut up and play some music...get the crowd going....in phoenix they did all kinds of things like the dance cam, the kiss cam, the drummer cam, the roller coaster cam...always engaging the crowd, always high energy....it is like a library in MTS after the whistle....its like they want to educate us or something....play music!!!!

Are you sure Phoenix is the model you want Winnipeg to base their hockey experience on?

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Only been to one game in person and it was this past October, so I can't really compare to past seasons.

Having said that, I was blown away by the enthusiasm of the crowd in Winnipeg. I've been to games in Ottawa (a lot) and I can tell you that CTC is like a church compared to MTS Center. People stand up for goals, fights, stay standing through the whole shootout, etc, etc. It's a terrific atmosphere IMO.

I've seen games in Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa and Montreal. I'd say MTS is still louder than the first 3 of those - only one I can think of that tops it consistently is Montreal.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
If there could be less Wheeler that would be great, but honestly I don't pay attention to any of the "production" stuff enough to say if it's bad or if it's good.

The crowd has quieted for sure, but it would have been hard to keep that volume from season one up haha.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Crowds have most definitely been quiet and unexciting.

That said, the next two Friday games should be pretty rowdy with the holiday season/drinking/people back in town to visit.

Looking forward to it! :handclap: :cheers:

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I like the one where people win $25 at Dufresne. I get so excited! :sarcasm:

But those sponsors pony up whatever they're giving away, so can't really blame TNSE for the prizes.

the one that kills me is when each person in an ENTIRE row gets a bag of Lays chips....its like 10 seats....what's that like a dollar worth of product for Lays?...Lays is a corporate sponsor for goodness sake.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Are you sure Phoenix is the model you want Winnipeg to base their hockey experience on?

I use phoenix intentionally...we have spent so long here in Winnipeg being smug at them...they don't deserve hockey, they don't know anything about it...etc etc...we are the loudest crowd in the NHL and its all about the hockey...

well....the game I went to the energy in the building was better than in Winnipeg...even with 1/3 of the seats empty....the fans were into it, they were loud...it was fun even though I didn't care about the game....it just annoyed me to see what a little bit of effort could do to transform the crowd.....its pretty clear that the attitudes of winnipeggers have changed...TNSE is going to have to work for our money a little bit....it needs to be fun if they win or not, because looking at this team, we might have to find our enjoyment out of more than wins for quite some time.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
the one that kills me is when each person in an ENTIRE row gets a bag of Lays chips....its like 10 seats....what's that like a dollar worth of product for Lays?...Lays is a corporate sponsor for goodness sake.

Well, to be fair, they're probably blowing all their cash on the money that goes to TNSE rather than the $0.05 worth of processed potatoes that get distributed to the lucky fans.

Didn't Libby's used to slingshot cans of beans into the crowd before Jets 1.0 games? Now THAT'S a promotion! :laugh:

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Someone was slamming in-game production on the Big Show a week or so ago - said he's been to other rinks - specifically named one or two...Tampa I think? - and the Jets aren't even close. Jay got really mad/defensive. Said he sees first-hand the work and creativity involved and that the Jets in-game production is "second to none" - Liebl calls him on it "Well, have you seen a game in Tampa?" Jay of course hasn't...so Liebl says "I guess you can't really say then." I think Jay still insisted that Jets in-game is the best.

I hate when people do that. I mean, I understand wanting to defend your city but when you've got no basis for your argument don't just blindly defend your loyalties. There's always room for improvement and there's definitely a considerable amount when it comes to home games.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The crazy crowds will be back when they start winning. Theyve lost six in a row at home. What other team has done that? Its pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad