What do you think of our crowd this year?

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
Just want to get some discussion regarding our crowd this year. Year 1 = Crazy Loud, Year 2 = Lockout year but still in the honey moon phase. Year 3 = Honey moon over, we expect results and a winning team.

I notice we do not boo the opposing stars as much, we do not consistently heckle the opposing goalies, however we can be very loud if the Jets give us a reason to, otherwise we are deflated pretty easily.

Jets fans quickly made a name for themselves as the loudest fans in the NHL. Are you concerned that we lost that intimidation factor of opposing teams coming into the MTS Centre because of our crowd, or do you feel over the years we will still be as enthusiastic as year one/two, pending we have a successful on ice product?

Moe Mantha

Aug 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, CANADA
We'll never be as enthusiastic during the regular season as we were in year one, and this was fully expected, imo. That type of enthusiasm is unsustainable.

(That being said, it's swung a little too far into the quiet side for my liking this season.)

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Certainly not as silly and fun as we were in the prior two seasons. For a bunch of reasons...fervour has levelled out and there certainly hasn't been a lot to cheer about. Also is it just me or are we getting a lot of Sunday and Monday games? More than usual? No one...err..most no one enjoys getting plastered on a Sunday or Monday...

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
When the NHL returned to Minnesota, Wild fans were wild.

It has diminished as one would expect.

The Jets are no different.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Certainly not as silly and fun as we were in the prior two seasons. For a bunch of reasons...fervour has levelled out and there certainly hasn't been a lot to cheer about. Also is it just me or are we getting a lot of Sunday and Monday games? More than usual? No one...err..most no one enjoys getting plastered on a Sunday or Monday...

Saturday afternoons, then Sunday evenings at 7. Not my preference, but I'm sure they've studied the hell out of the market.

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
When the NHL returned to Minnesota, Wild fans were wild.

It has diminished as one would expect.

The Jets are no different.

But don't you think we shouldn't be talking about diminishing Jets fans enthusiasm less than half way into year three? Kinda fast in my opinion. Or rather, you can look at it as Jets fans are not into mediocrity.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I expected it, Expecialy with our play as of late. Need to start winning some games, Expecialy the ones at home to regain some of the excitement

ediger

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
lots of contributing factors to the quieter crowd. The initial hype has died down (as expected), the team isn't playing that good and we're now watching the more defense oriented Western Conference. Not as much run and gun, which gets the crowd excited. I've still heard the place as rocking as ever this season, but now we need a reason, which is totally fair.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It is hard to cheer for the home team when they give you nothing to cheer for at home.

They used to be really good at home & made the games exciting.

The Jets can't expect to always get a standing ovations when they play with little or no passion at home.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
crowd is weak this year.....we had a year and a bit of loud, energetic crowds....we barely cheer before the puck drop now...at least last year that was still there.....no chants at all....very negative energy as well....i wonder how long the 'loud' myth will last?

i went to a game in phoenix a few weeks ago....arena was 2/3 full but it was waaaay more lively....people were crazy...a lot of fun.

the in game entertainment was awesome too....everything was high energy, loud music...it was great....if I have to hear wheeler do another trivia contest at MTS i'm going to scream...its such a buzzkill....where is frolik from? how far away is nashville? who's clitsome's favourite player?...its so lame....its like they play hinterlands who's who sometimes...heres a history of terry sawchuk.....shut up and play some music...get the crowd going....in phoenix they did all kinds of things like the dance cam, the kiss cam, the drummer cam, the roller coaster cam...always engaging the crowd, always high energy....it is like a library in MTS after the whistle....its like they want to educate us or something....play music!!!!

TSM

Go Jets Go
Jun 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I've only missed a handful of games in the MTS Centre this year; the crowd is not the problem. The team on the ice is. Our section is hilarious....the chants, the hollering, the dancing, the random acts of hilarity.

I have noticed different people sitting in the seats than in previous seasons; but w/ the upgrade in sound system I find this season is louder than the 1st season. My ears are ringing after every game.

I'm not sure where have of the complainers are sitting on this forum, but our section is awesome. I sit in the 300s.

darksociety

Apr 6, 2011
Winnipeg
crowd is weak this year.....we had a year and a bit of loud, energetic crowds....we barely cheer before the puck drop now...at least last year that was still there.....no chants at all....very negative energy as well....i wonder how long the 'loud' myth will last?

i went to a game in phoenix a few weeks ago....arena was 2/3 full but it was waaaay more lively....people were crazy...a lot of fun.

the in game entertainment was awesome too....everything was high energy, loud music...it was great....if I have to hear wheeler do another trivia contest at MTS i'm going to scream...its such a buzzkill....where is frolik from? how far away is nashville? who's clitsome's favourite player?...its so lame....its like they play hinterlands who's who sometimes...heres a history of terry sawchuk.....shut up and play some music...get the crowd going....in phoenix they did all kinds of things like the dance cam, the kiss cam, the drummer cam, the roller coaster cam...always engaging the crowd, always high energy....it is like a library in MTS after the whistle....its like they want to educate us or something....play music!!!!

Sounds like you would have enjoyed the Timberwolves exhibition game - more side acts than a ****ing circus.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
This is a joke correct?
The wave is the worst.
Let's not watch the game, let's stand up and wave our arms!!!

Brutal.

I've been to 7 games this year & have yet to see a wave started.

As for the crowd, I'll agree there's been little to cheer about. In the Jets first season they had a tremendous home record.

So is the crowd quiet because we're losing or is the team losing because we're quiet?

Obviously the players on each side have much more to do with the outcome, but Jets fans need to really step it up. It's been VERY quiet this year. Fans seem to think a "True North" during the anthem relieves them of any game time cheering obligations. I've had many funny looks for a simple "Go Jets Go", mind you I'm pretty loud....

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
But don't you think we shouldn't be talking about diminishing Jets fans enthusiasm less than half way into year three? Kinda fast in my opinion. Or rather, you can look at it as Jets fans are not into mediocrity.

Nope! :)

I had Flames season tickets the season after they made their cup run in 2004.

The Saddledome was electiric and I had people approaching me to take them to a game.

Three years later I was giving tickets away to charity because I could not get anyone to go with me.

We are going through some growing pains right now, but, when the Jets finally turn it around and be a consistent playoff team the enthusiasm will return.

I still think one day I'll see Gary Bettman hand the Stanley Cup to Winnipeg Jets Captain Jacob Trouba! :)

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I blame it on TNSE for squashing the #helmetpardy

Fans are just voicing (or not) their displeasure with the team and efforts or lack there of. If there is nothing to cheer about why bother? The team plays lazy lately.

For the record I haven't missed a single game this year yet, and collectively missed maybe a dozen since the team returned. The first year the team had a great home effort, last year, alright, this year they are the ***** at home.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
ajmidd12;76403147[B said:
]I blame it on TNSE for squashing the #helmetpardy[/B]

Fans are just voicing (or not) their displeasure with the team and efforts or lack there of. If there is nothing to cheer about why bother? The team plays lazy lately.

For the record I haven't missed a single game this year yet, and collectively missed maybe a dozen since the team returned. The first year the team had a great home effort, last year, alright, this year they are the ***** at home.

I was extremely vocal in my opposition to TNSE cancelling the Helmetpardy.
However once I found out the PM Harper was going to be in attendance I endorsed cancelling it.
No reason to give a drunken idiot a reason to feel brave.
I also think thats why made a statement weeks after it had been floated, they didn't squash it immediately I believe once they became aware he was coming things changed.. I truly believe that it was a pragmatic decision influenced by the PM's attendance.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Actually one of my favorite games I was at, was when the wave was going like crazy. Granted it was the 7-0 game vs. Florida and the beer was flowing pretty freely. So by the third period we weren't focused on the game that much, and 'Wooooooo!'ed and threw up our arms like kids whenever the wave came around. Great time. :)

Prot

Sep 21, 2011
Ah I love the wave. I can't have the beer snake anymore so I'll take the wave.

Honestly the home games have been bad. A lot of slow games.... the ones I'm at the crowd certainly tries but there's little juice there to give it momentum.

Year one was a beautiful thing. It was a rare mix of 'glad to be here' and lowered expectations.

Changing divisions certainly caused a reality check. The crowd DOES still get going in a great way when there's something to cheer about though.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
The crowd feels quieter. There is nothing to blame it on other than the standings, imo.

In the first two years, we had a chance to make it right up until April. This season, our hopes, to some, have been crushed before Christmas break.

It will go back to being a crazy atmosphere as soon as we can compete for at least a Wild-card spot.

Also, for all of you kids who didn't experience Winnipeg Arena playoff hockey, you haven't seen anything yet.

arby18

Jun 12, 2010
The home team has been brutal this year at home. Tough to manufacture something in the stands to cheer for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad