What do you think Holland does at the deadline?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
This is literally insane.

It seems like you care more about being right on how the team "should" be built than actually being succcesful. That blows my mind.

I don't like trump's approach to anything but I'd still rather he succeed than fail as President.

Sorry but I enjoy seeing people fail who smugly look down at others, not listen to general consensus because they feel they have all the answers or take fans loyalty and money for granted

Again not my view as a internet poster but the rest of the hockey world

It may be the only way things would change

Who knows, I would much prefer he proves me wrong

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Holland has never been a huge seller, no reason to think he'll change. But it would help the club future and if he recognizes that finally then good.

When has he had a team this bad that he would have been tempted to sell in the past?

The answer is never. There's absolutely no precedent here.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
You literally have no control over the approach. So yes, to wish Holland digs a deeper hole is insane.

And insanity to what point? Just to say something along the lines of "I told you so"?

I don't support a scorched earth rebuild but if Holland decided that's the direction we are going I'd hope he succeed rather than crash and burn.

We each define what sanity is and what brings us enjoyment. I'm starting to understand the (long-time) fans who stated in the summer they can't watch anymore, or members here who have cancelled their cable. This team with Holland at the controls spinning further into irrelevancy, without a plan to compete for the Cup- it's driving me crazy. If there isn't a change of course I could very well see giving up on following the Wings next season.

Also Holland doesn't have the guts to implement a scorched earth rebuild, terrible analogy.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
That's kind of what you say as a buyer.

Ken Holland is gonna say that "prices were too low", if he doesn't sell anybody.

There is no price too low for players that have no future in Detroit.

If the best offer the Wings get for Vanek is a third round pick, you take it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
When has he had a team this bad that he would have been tempted to sell in the past?

While this is true, we've also seen Holland be really conservative with trades, particularly those involving roster players from his team.

Has been in a position to sell? No. But he's been in plenty of positions to make moves over his long tenure and the simple truth is he just doesn't. So now that things are different, maybe he'll act different. Still, if we think his behavior is relatively consistent, expecting smaller moves like moving Jurco is genuinely the smart bet.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
There is no price too low for players that have no future in Detroit.

If the best offer the Wings get for Vanek is a third round pick, you take it.

Yep. And if he loves it here so much just say. I'm trading you. And then sign you to a retirement contract of 2-3 years. Maybe just keep going off 1 year deals

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I know he could get plenty for Mike Green, but after all the years he tried trading for him and everything, why would he get rid of him after two seasons? Especially with how good he has been. Vanek I get, and as much as I like Vanek, Holland should trade him and then try to re-sign him in July.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
i think he finally sells.

you clearly see this team just doesnt have it in them to keep it going.

it happens.

Your lips to God's ears. I hope Holland finally has a busy trade deadline and actually does something to improve our future, versus ensuring a first round defeat.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I know he could get plenty for Mike Green, but after all the years he tried trading for him and everything, why would he get rid of him after two seasons? Especially with how good he has been. Vanek I get, and as much as I like Vanek, Holland should trade him and then try to re-sign him in July.

Sell high.

Green is on pace to put up 40 points on a team that is near the bottom of the league offensively. And he has another year on his contract so whoever was trading for him would be getting more than just a rental.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007

The Wings are not going to be a cup contender and could conceivably be out of the playoffs for the rest of Green's productive years. Retain a little salary and you could conceivably get a top-15 pick in this year's draft or a low first in next year's. Four first round picks in two years, with two being top-5 and all being hopefully top-20 is a good start to a rebuild.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Sell high.

Green is on pace to put up 40 points on a team that is near the bottom of the league offensively. And he has another year on his contract so whoever was trading for him would be getting more than just a rental.
IF they can protect him. How many teams serious about buying at the deadline have an open protection slot for a d-man?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
IF they can protect him. How many teams serious about buying at the deadline have an open protection slot for a d-man?

I can think of a few teams that would be able to flip one of their blueliners for Green. They package a young-ish top 4 defender and a draft pick and upgrade their blueline by getting Mike Green.

Honestly, that might be the best scenario for the Wings to get a roster player back if they are moving Green. Because if you flat out move him for futures, my god, are you going full blown #1 overall pick next year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I can think of a few teams that would be able to flip one of their blueliners for Green. They package a young-ish top 4 defender and a draft pick and upgrade their blueline by getting Mike Green.

Honestly, that might be the best scenario for the Wings to get a roster player back if they are moving Green. Because if you flat out move him for futures, my god, are you going full blown #1 overall pick next year.

honestly, i don't think any single player on this team has that big of an impact on the score given how bad the team is as a whole. the law of diminishing returns, just in reverse.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Turn Green into possibly Liljegren and Dahlin within just over a year? Is this supposed to be a bad idea? :sarcasm:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

Very true, it will be interesting to see what he does these are uncharted waters. Part of me still thinks he will maintain status quo though.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
With Maatta out in PIT, I think Smith would slot in fine there. Trade him for a 3rd.

If Vanek is going to be traded, send him to Ottawa for Lazar and a 2nd or 3rd.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I don't see any way, especially with how the Wings have played the last handful of games, that they come out of this weekend with anything but two more losses (to WSH on Saturday and PITT on Sunday). If/when that happens the Wings playoff hopes will officially be killed. Personally, I already think their chances are already non-existent but I think after this weekend everyone in the organization will have to embrace that fact.

I think by the deadline Vanek, Smith, and Ott are traded.

I really doubt Mike Green gets moved. He's have way more value in a potential trade value next season (assuming the Wings are still on the outside of the playoff race) on an expiring contract and no expansion draft that an acquiring team would have to protect him from.

I also don't see Jurco being traded. I think he'll actually get the opportunity to play consistently (for the remainder of the season) once Vanek/Ott are traded.

I would also imagine Tatar/Nyquist aren't on the move either. I think there would be interest in either, particularly Tatar, so I guess it could happen but they just seem way more like off-season trade candidates (if one or both of them are traded at all).

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
With Maatta out in PIT, I think Smith would slot in fine there. Trade him for a 3rd.

If Vanek is going to be traded, send him to Ottawa for Lazar and a 2nd or 3rd.

i like trying to make something out of Lazar but i dont think we're in the position to take on more forwards pre-expansion right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad