What do you think Holland does at the deadline?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I have an increasing fear that Holland won't do anything at the deadline, and despite being almost statistically out of the playoffs, he won't make any attempt to sell off players.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/01/gm_ken_holland_has_response_to.html

"That's why it's so important to have a Henrik Zetterberg sitting beside an Anthony Mantha or a (Thomas) Vanek and Franz Nielsen playing on a line with Athanasiou, and a Jonathan Ericssen playing (defense) with Xavier Ouellet," Holland said. "... That's where the culture is that can make a difference.

Even if the Red Wings fall further behind, Holland won't just dump players, in part because it would leave a void. Young players, such as forwards Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou, he said, should not be exposed to the pressures of carrying a club. Those expectations, he noted, didn't fall to Henrik Zetterberg or, defensively, to Niklas Kronwall until their mid-20s. For Zetterberg it was after the retirement of Steve Yzerman, while Kronwall's leadership grew after Nicklas Lidstrom retired after 2012.

Not selling this year would be one of the dumbest moves Holland has ever done. It will continue to set this franchise back even further.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think he sells smith and vanek, since they are selling as the option selling big I guess that is the one I choose. Not really sure, I think he would move Ott too if he can get anything for him.

I am hopeful he will move one of Tatar/Nyquist as well, but I sort of doubt it.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I think he sells smith and vanek, since they are selling as the option selling big I guess that is the one I choose. Not really sure, I think he would move Ott too if he can get anything for him.

I am hopeful he will move Tatar/Nyquist as well, but I sort of doubt it.

Does selling Vanek really seem like a Holland thing to do? Seems like he would rather just try to re-sign him. Holland doesn't think this team is bad which is shown by the decisions he's made this year and the quotes in the original post.

I don't think Holland is capable of selling players unless they request it. So hopefully Vanek demands a trade.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I have an increasing fear that Holland won't do anything at the deadline, and despite being almost statistically out of the playoffs, he won't make any attempt to sell off players.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/01/gm_ken_holland_has_response_to.html

Not selling this year would be one of the dumbest moves Holland has ever done. It will continue to set this franchise back even further.

Holland Is out of touch. There is still leadership on the team, if you move green or vanek. Holland is operating like it's our last cup year in terms of how he manages the team. Team is done. We need prospects. What friggin good is making sure Aa and mantha develop without pressure if it means our future core won't be good enough, we need an influx of talent. Holland manages out of fear. Without the elite talent we had and the huge pocket books we opened up Pre cap, Holland just can't cope.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Move vanek and green add picks to vanek to acquire a first if need be, use those two firsts packaged to move up and get a real good player.

If we pick, 4 and 10, that would sure help us. A good d and a good center added to what we have. Two more ****** years, with what we have, maybe move a couple more players for picks next year for more prospects, and our system would be killer.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't think (hope) that Holland is so delusional as to think this isn't a time to sell. The team is bad, we're not making the playoffs. Maybe you trade for picks next year and not this year, but you sell nonetheless.

That said I don't think he sells anyone of note other than maybe Vanek, Smith, Jurco. That's about all I see leaving, which to me isn't much of a sell job. Ideally I'd want to see DK/Green, one of Abby/Helm, one of Nyquist/Tatar gone as long as the returns are fair, to go with Vanek, Smith, Jurco. I want picks picks picks.

Green is staying, DK is staying, Nyquist/Tatar are staying, Abby and Helm are staying. All the goalies are staying.

Maybe we can't move a bunch of guys, like Abby/Helm/DK/Howard because of their contract situation and not for lack of trying. But the result will be the same regardless.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Does selling Vanek really seem like a Holland thing to do? Seems like he would rather just try to re-sign him. Holland doesn't think this team is bad which is shown by the decisions he's made this year and the quotes in the original post.

I don't think Holland is capable of selling players unless they request it. So hopefully Vanek demands a trade.

I think they are selling Vanek. I hope they can sign him again on July 1st in all honesty.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He might sell a player or 2, but he has no clue what hes doing. I do not trust him to run the Walleye let alone a NHL team. Even if he gets high picks they will do nothing to help this team out for years and we all know it.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Trade Brendan Smith for a 4th rounder.
Trade Thomas Vanek for a 1st rounder + spec/or high end spec overall

Gustav Nyquist isn't moving. He has years left and with the expansion draft coming, it's not time to move him. You could move Tats, but I think that's an off-season deal if it happens. Stick with the two above. Steve Ott has no real value.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
The safest option would be that he stands pat.

I'd be absolutely surprised if Ken Holland sold assets such as Vanek, Smith or Green for picks.

Mike Green will not be dealt. The team will try and compete next season. To do so, you need Green. Despite selling, this team will not start a full rebuild right now. I really wish a guy like Frans Nielsen got a chance to win as he signed into a sinking ship.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm not sure if I would call it selling big (that's what I chose), but I have enough belief in the man that he'll move Vanek and a couple of our other UFAs...if he decides to stand pat I hope he is fired (or moved into upper management which is the closest this organization will come to firing him) the literal second he does so.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Even if by some chance Holland actually sells Vanek and or Green (really, the only real assets the Wings have) it's a day late and a dollar short. Patrick Eaves has scored more goals than anyone on the Wings this year, but a wide margin. Think about that for a minute. The Wings likely will not have even one 20 goal scorer and are last on the PP.

In this era of the salary cap, you have to rely on young players. Just another example of how the Wings are stuck in the past. He can't wrap his brain around the fact he doesn't have an endless stream of Hall of Famers ready to step in. Welcome to the real world, Kenny. Now you have to build a team just like everyone else does. You don't have a team of HOFers and an open check book anymore.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Move vanek and green add picks to vanek to acquire a first if need be, use those two firsts packaged to move up and get a real good player.

If we pick, 4 and 10, that would sure help us. A good d and a good center added to what we have. Two more ****** years, with what we have, maybe move a couple more players for picks next year for more prospects, and our system would be killer.

Moving Green especially since he has one more year left before he hits free agency not to mention we need our best defenseman and the draft this year is relatively weak would be absolutely stupid.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I have a terrible feeling he will ruin this golden opportunity y selling "small" and by that I mean just jurco or ott

I dont think he is cut out to be a NHL GM of a none powerhouse franchise

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Holland does nothing at the deadline, Vanek walks in UFA, resign Smith and Ott. Team probably lands 4-8 at draft and Holland trades down into mid-first for a second or drafts BPA and buries him for 2 years in juniors and 1-2 in the AHL. Team misses playoffs next year, drafts 4-8 again. Wash rinse repeat.

Team becomes perennially mediocre due to location and management that refuses to tank out. I have been saying for years that this team is becoming Calgary, who, despite being in the league for 36 years and being awful for almost all of them, have drafted higher than 6th only once, and never in the top-3.

Green should be traded for a first in the offseason but Holland will keep him to try and make the POs next year and Green will walk in UFA.

If I was GM I would see if I could rope anyone into taking Vanek for a first in next year's draft instead of this year. Trade Green for a first in the offseason and pray that one or both of those teams misses the playoffs and you luck into two or three top-10 picks in a strong draft. Chicago is hosting this year's draft but has the cap space for Vanek, you could try and wedge next year's first out of them. That first might be 30th though, but 30 next year might be better than 15 this year from what I hear.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad