What do you think Holland does at the deadline?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I thought the belief we could get great players anywhere in the draft was the driving assumption behind those advocating a "retool on the fly" strategy.

I believe in 5 years this draft will likely prove that a late round dman will be better than any dman who goes in the top 10. I'm not high on Lilgren (sp?).

But I do believe there will be a late round steal or two in this draft. Just because it's a weak draft doesn't mean there's not a Shea Weber that comes out of nowhere in the 3rd round.

The top 15 in this draft is extremely, extremely underwhelming. I think Nolan Patrick is the best player in this draft, and no way he would go 1st overall any other year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If it's for 2018 picks, sure. But 2017... what's the point? The only things they'll likely find in this draft is an Emmerton, Jurco and maybe a Kindl.

This is a horrible draft to be trying to add decent talent to the prospect pool. Sucks Wings are going to miss the playoffs the 1 year there is absolutely nothing of worth picking.

Its okay if you're picking top 3. Wings will probably be around #8. I believe that will get you a Riley Sheahan in this draft.

good lord talk about over the top

no draft is THAT weak

I remember people said the 2012 draft was weak for YEARS before it happened,and in much stronger terms than anything that has been said said about this years draft and even that draft had the likes of Trouba and Forsberg available where you think the Wings will draft

there's always talent available in the top 10 if you know where to look,you just have to actually scout it out sometimes beyond the first couple picks

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I selected Holland would maybe make one move. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he didn't trade his best trade asset in Vanek. I suspect he'll hold onto him and try to sign him to a new deal. My guess is he's tried to trade Jurco due to his trade request but there's probably no market for him so the odds he gets traded seem pretty low. Does any team really want Brendan Smith? He's probably the one guy where Holland would be willing to do a deal and there may be some interest in him. So I guess he's the one guy I could see being traded. Feel the excitement!! :shakehead

This is where we are under Ken Holland. The guys he's willing to trade probably have no real interest across the league while the two guys who are guaranteed to draw interest - Vanek and Green - will not be traded.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I believe in 5 years this draft will likely prove that a late round dman will be better than any dman who goes in the top 10. I'm not high on Lilgren (sp?).

But I do believe there will be a late round steal or two in this draft. Just because it's a weak draft doesn't mean there's not a Shea Weber that comes out of nowhere in the 3rd round.

The top 15 in this draft is extremely, extremely underwhelming. I think Nolan Patrick is the best player in this draft, and no way he would go 1st overall any other year.
So one of the dozens of picks from 11 onward will eventually be better than one of the 2-3 defensemen taken in the top 10? Not exactly a hot take, there.

What's more important is whether one or more picks still on the board when Detroit selects - and that are seen as reasonable options to make for that pick - end up being significantly better than whomever they take.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

And both points are valid but we're playing probabilities here. Detroit hasn't shown the ability to draft high-end defensemen with late picks and I'm not going to trust them to start now. Chances are we're among the 30 teams that do not draft your Shea Weber clone.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
And both points are valid but we're playing probabilities here. Detroit hasn't shown the ability to draft high-end defensemen with late picks and I'm not going to trust them to start now. Chances are we're among the 30 teams that do not draft your Shea Weber clone.

further to that

since the implementation of the salary cap in 2005 we havent shown the ability to draft elite forwards anywhere in the draft either, nor sign elite young free agents nor trade for elite young players

one would think it may be time to rethink our strategy a bit

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
"Right now, teams that have deemed they've fallen out of it aren't looking to do hockey trades, they're just looking to get some futures, trade players they don't think are going to be back the following year. If you're looking to do a hockey trade, there's more (potential trade partners) in June."

So do both.

Trade Vanek, Smith, and Ott this month. And try to deal Nyquist and/or Tatar for a defenseman in June.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
"Right now, teams that have deemed they've fallen out of it aren't looking to do hockey trades, they're just looking to get some futures, trade players they don't think are going to be back the following year. If you're looking to do a hockey trade, there's more (potential trade partners) in June."

So do both.

Trade Vanek, Smith, and Ott this month. And try to deal Nyquist and/or Tatar for a defenseman in June.

Stop being sensible.

When exactly is the expansion draft?

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I don't think he'll trade Ott, since it was a dream of his to play for the Wings I don't think he'll want to soil that, Kenny's a sentimental guy. The return probably wouldn't be much anyways.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

That pretty much guarantees Green isn't going to be traded. The downside is losing him would give us much better odds at drafting Dahlin next year. My reading between the lines is to not expect much if anything to happen and Holland will try to make the playoffs next year. That possibly includes signing Vanek to a deal nowhere near as cap friendly as the one he signed this year. If that's the case I hope Vanek rakes him over the coals and gets an enormous contract. Who knows, maybe Vanek wants another shot at a Cup and will sign a sweetheart deal with the Hawks and we'll get nothing for him. :shakehead

Hopefully we get a great prospect in the draft this year, because it appears we are content to be in the 15 - 25 range as an NHL franchise. There is no appetite on Holland's part to acquire elite talent, he'd prefer to sign a bunch of over the hill vets, sprinkle in a few prospects and whine about how it's a capped league when we're out of the playoff picture shortly after the All Star break.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
That pretty much guarantees Green isn't going to be traded. The downside is losing him would give us much better odds at drafting Dahlin next year. My reading between the lines is to not expect much if anything to happen and Holland will try to make the playoffs next year. That possibly includes signing Vanek to a deal nowhere near as cap friendly as the one he signed this year. If that's the case I hope Vanek rakes him over the coals and gets an enormous contract. Who knows, maybe Vanek wants another shot at a Cup and will sign a sweetheart deal with the Hawks and we'll get nothing for him. :shakehead

Hopefully we get a great prospect in the draft this year, because it appears we are content to be in the 15 - 25 range as an NHL franchise. There is no appetite on Holland's part to acquire elite talent, he'd prefer to sign a bunch of over the hill vets, sprinkle in a few prospects and whine about how it's a capped league when we're out of the playoff picture shortly after the All Star break.

I agree

When or if Holland refuses to change course i hope we get punished through awful contracts that hurt us for years while missing the playoffs

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Sounds like he's at least willing to do what most here want.

Trade off the guys who are UFA's at the end of the year.

Lets see if he follows through with more moves at the draft though. That's where we'll really see the direction he's taking the team.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't think he'll trade Ott, since it was a dream of his to play for the Wings I don't think he'll want to soil that, Kenny's a sentimental guy. The return probably wouldn't be much anyways.

What's the point in keeping him though? So he can play 20 more meaningless games as a Red Wing versus being on a playoff contender?

Anyone who's a UFA at the end of the season should be dealt if they get any sort of return.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I agree

When or if Holland refuses to change course i hope we get punished through awful contracts that hurt us for years while missing the playoffs

This is literally insane.

It seems like you care more about being right on how the team "should" be built than actually being succcesful. That blows my mind.

I don't like trump's approach to anything but I'd still rather he succeed than fail as President.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is literally insane.
As opposed to the possibility of continuing the same approach, regardless of how many years it might be ineffective, or to what degree?

To continue your analogy, Holland is on his 4th or 5th term. IF they miss the playoffs, and he continues to stay the course, maybe it's time to get somebody else into office.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
As opposed to the possibility of continuing the same approach, regardless of how many years it might be ineffective, or to what degree?

You literally have no control over the approach. So yes, to wish Holland digs a deeper hole is insane.

And insanity to what point? Just to say something along the lines of "I told you so"?

I don't support a scorched earth rebuild but if Holland decided that's the direction we are going I'd hope he succeed rather than crash and burn.

Last edited:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Holland has never been a huge seller, no reason to think he'll change. But it would help the club future and if he recognizes that finally then good.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Holland has never been a huge seller, no reason to think he'll change. But it would help the club future and if he recognizes that finally then good.

He's never been a seller because the team hasn't ever been in this position before (under him). There is no precedent here.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

In his 20 whatever years the Red Wings have NEVER been close to this bad. There is zero precedent here to say what he will or won't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad