What do you think Holland does at the deadline?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'd say the poll results are just about done and man that is about as even of a split as I've ever seen on these boards. All three within 5% of a third. I guess that goes to show that we all have genuinely no idea which will occur. I will be so sad if option 3 wins out.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Poll is a little weird. If he sells Vanek + Jurco

Is that just a litttle?

If he sells Vanek + Smith thats just a little?

What is big?

Vanek / Smith / Ott / Jurco / Sheahan

I dont know if he can sell all 5 (expansion draft)

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

Is that just a litttle?

What is big?

Ignoring expansion, selling those 5 would still be selling very little. It's losing 5 pieces that have absolutely no value to the team moving forward. It's what should be done, regardless, if there's any return. Selling guys like Nyquist and Tatar for picks and prospects is where 'big' territory comes into play, IMO.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I am 80% convinced(lets say you could make such a bet in Vegas) that KH will screw this opportunity up royally

by that I mean he will either
a) not trade vanek
b) get nothing more than 1 additional 3rd rd pick from the 2017 TDL

as for what constitutes small vs big

small equals the following
- not trading at least 3 UFA roster players 1 of which is vanek

big equals the following
- trading at least 3 roster players and,
- trading one of green, tatar, howard or nyquist

examples

small
-vanek and ott

big
-vanek, smith, tatar

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Ignoring expansion, selling those 5 would still be selling very little. It's losing 5 pieces that have absolutely no value to the team moving forward. It's what should be done, regardless, if there's any return. Selling guys like Nyquist and Tatar for picks and prospects is where 'big' territory comes into play, IMO.

This!!! The 5 listed are completely brainless, nothing moves which I doubt get accomplished. Hard to believe some people consider that rebuilding. :facepalm:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Trades Vanek for a 2nd and a 4th.

Trades Smith for a future 4th round pick.

Long shot.... Trades one of Glendening or Sheahan to the Leafs.
-We can't carry both of these brick-handed players long term.
- Babcock will still see great value in them despite their totals. (maybe even 2nd round pick)
- Plus they aren't old, so they can be sold as fitting in with what Toronto is trying to do. (No rentals)

Don't think Holland has the stones to trade Nyquist or Tatar.

Last edited:

smtevo

Nov 3, 2009
Trades Vanek for a 2nd and a 4th.

Trades Smith for a future 4th round pick.

Long shot.... Trades one of Glendening or Sheahan to the Leafs.
-We can't carry both of these brick-handed players long term.
- Babcock will still see great value in them despite their totals. (maybe even 2nd round pick)
- Plus they aren't old, so they can be sold as fitting in with what Toronto is trying to do. (No rentals)

Don't think Holland has the stones to trade Nyquist or Tatar.

You seriously think the Wings could get anything let alone a 2nd for glendening or Sheahan?

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
You seriously think the Wings could get anything let alone a 2nd for glendening or Sheahan?

Sheahan's value is just above a bag of pucks, but Glendening has proven value to a team that knows to use him as a 3rd/4th line grinder, especially some of the younger teams in the league like Toronto or Edmonton.

WFIAA

Aug 2, 2016
Am I alone in thinking that there is a better chance that Holland extends Vanek versus trading him?

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Lets be real here. Illitch was out of it for years now because a healthy younger Illitch would have fired Holland 5 years ago. You know he's going to stand pat and do nothing. This is going to be the Red Wings franchise for the next 20 years, a loser organization.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Is that just a litttle?

What is big?

I thought the same exact thing. The "selling big" bit is almost contradictory when you list Smith/Vanek/Ott - all UFAs - as selling big.

Selling big, IMO, has to include one of Green, Tatar, Nyquist, or other guys who still have great value to the team but aren't UFAs.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
After they get waxed by the Caps and Pens this weekend...they need to start looking at selling if they haven't already. 9 points doesn't sound like a lot but they've got far too many teams to jump over and they're just not consistent enough to string a bunch of wins together. Cut your losses and sell a few guys for futures. I don't see Holland doing a full tear-down. Move the pending UFAs at the very least.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I think he'll sell off a couple players..wait for expansion...then see where the team is at before making any more trades

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Smith had a strong game today.

If we move Vanek for two second's or a second and third, and also Smith for a later pick I would be pretty pleased with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad