What do you suit up in??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkeaMonkey*

How's about listing your current equiptment and giving a quick review of your likes/dislikes about each piece...

Helmets:
Nike 0004-I've got a large melon, so this lightly padded, very roomy helmet fits me well. It's not too lightly padded that it is dangerous(alot of Pros wear it), but certainly not as protective as one of the newer Bauer 5000, 8000 models

Nike Quest. - Ahhh my bike helmet...errr well it feels like it. The padding is hard as a rock, however, it is very well padded in comparison to the 4000/0004.

Sheild/Cages-
Itech Tinted Pro Wave Visor on the 0004 - The nose cut on this visor is perfect for breathability and no fog. The tinted does reduce some glare from arena lights.

Nike/Bauer FM4000 on the Quest - Not much to say. Your basic chrome cage. Pretty good visibility.

Elbow Pads -
Bauer 2000 - Used them primarily for roller hockey. Worked OK there, nothing special. Would occasionally slip if you didnt have the bicep protector strapped TIGHTLY.

Easton Synergy - The benchmark in elbow pads. I prefer them over any other pad on the market for many reasons. One is that it is a 3 piece pad, so it flexes in two areas giving unbelieveable mobility.The pad never slips. It has three straps to hold it secure and silicon gripping on the bicep and slash guards. Speaking of slash guard, the thing is so low profile, you'd think it was flimsy, but man the composite in it is unbelieveable. You could take a Zdeno Chara-like hack and not feel a thing. Gen IV Air Bladder donut on the inner elbow also works wonders. Go ahead, take a fall, the bladder feels like a cushion on your elbow.

Shin -

Bauer 2000 - Ehhhhh It's ok I guess. Used it mostly for roller hockey, so again, it served its purpose. Wouldnt think of taking them to the ice however.

Nike V10 - At first, I hated them. The non-elastic straps can be a hassle at first, however, once you get used to them, you realize they keep that pad SNUG to your leg.When your suiting up in the lockerroom, you may think the pag is clunky, when you step on the ice, you realize the tapered design is great. Very solid protection all around on this pad. Not sure I'd select it for a VERY HIGH level of competition, but I've blocked many a shots in my adult league and felt nothing.

Gloves -

Bauer Vapor X, XV, XX(I'll group em all together) - My favorite gloves on the market. The X line is your entry level into the Vapor line. For the $50-60 dollars its a pretty fine glove, I'd suggest it for open hockey or a casual non-competitive league. However it can take its hacks. The XV line is my favorite. The cuff is adjustable, which allows for a tighter fit(which really isnt needed as they are probably in the top 10% in tightness on the glove market). This pad has better foam than the X line and includes the Nike Dri-Fit materials for helping keep the glove dry during games. The XX, well, its the top of the line Vapor glove, however I do not think it is worth the extra $40-60 over the XV.

Mission M-1 - Fits like a glove. However, I prefer a segmented glove like the vapor line over a "rolled" glove like the M-1 and CCM Tacks. The rolls are good for flash protection, however they make the glove feel a bit bulky. If you can find these gloves on closeout at your local shop, definetly give them a go, just dont schill out top dollar for them.

Ice Skates -

CCM Vector 7.0 - THE. Skate. I loveeee this skate. The CCM F-I-T system gives a "gapless" fit just as the description entails. Very lightweight. Very protective. The new "Lace Lock" technology is amazing for lacing up your skates, gone is the dreaded cuts and blisters from trying to make your skates very tight. In is the locking technology which grabs hold of the laces and doesnt let go. The Plastic toe cap is good for keeping the skate in great shape, performance wise and appearance wise.

Bauer Vapor 10(not the X...these are the old school vapors) - They didnt fit me. I have a wider foot, so I had to squeeze my feet into these. Not exactly what I like. However, they are also very light and definetly protective. If they fit your foot, not a bad skate.

Roller Hockey Skates:
Mission D3 - I tried on the D1 and did not like them. So I went with these babies. Great inline skate. Fit is fine and does the job protection wise in games. Not much more to say about roller hockey skates as protection and weight really arent key factors(to me at least).

Mission RL - Your basic mission design from the early days to now. It has no special boot look like the DNA series and new Helium line, it just went with the flow from the beginning. Pretty good skate.

Shoulder - No need anymore.

Pants - Mission Warp. Paid $30 for them, pretty darn good bang for the buck if I say so myself. Theyve got a high back protection and a nice belly pad in the front.

Sticks -
Mission M-1 - Used these for roller hockey, however they are definetly top of the line ice sticks as well. The blue color is a pretty nice color. The weight was also pretty good. I however could not find a blade curve that I liked.

Bauer XX - Love them. The sticks are verryyy lightweight and come in many blade patters. I prefer the P88/Lindros. The wavebridge blade gives the stick a nice feel when stick handling and shooting.

Easton Typhoon(shaft) - Only a $50 shaft, so you cannot expect much. However with a shaft, you are able to feel out every company's pattern and pop them into the stick. Overall the Typhoon shaft is very durable and not TOO heavy.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Cool thread, I'll weigh in.

Stick: I use a Louisville Tri-core, which I really like. I need the stiffest stick I can find and this one certianly fits the bill. I use a Easton Fiber Pro blade, Sakic pattern. I don't even think they make the Fiber Pro anymore, but I bought a case of 12 about a year and a half back and I'm down to only 2. I like the sticks with re-inforcement on the bottem since I beat the hell out of my sticks.

Helmet: I just got a Bauer 8000. I cracked my old 5000, and I needed a Blue one for School, so I figured I'd try it out. I wear some Oakley half visor, one of those pro-cut ones.

Skates: Bauer is the only thing that fits me so I have a pair of 7000's that are almost two years old. They are starting to go so I gotta get a pair of those 8090's and break them in.

Shoulders: I got a Jofa 8800 from about a year back. Great protection and mobility. I love to hit and get hit, so these to the job.

Elbows: I have a pair of CCM EP600's from abouy 12 years back. Best elbow pad I've ever seen so I have had no reason to get new ones. They have held up great for over a decade.

Shins: I got a pair of Jofa 5090's from a few years back. Great pads.

Pants: I'm wearing a Bauer 5000 pant, the one that is supposed to have some sort of Gel in it. Great pants, but the zipper on the back of the legs broke within the first month so I only use the velcro. Bad design on the zipper, but I love the pants.

Gloves: I'm using a pair of Louisville TPS's that are a few years old. I love those gloves, and am on my third pair of them.

That's about it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
My goalie equipment:

32" Heaton 10 Senior Pads, Red/White/Red
Heaton 10 Glove/Blocker, Red/White/Red
CCM mask with Brodeur paint
Heaton 6 chest protector
Itech 9.8 goalie pants
Vaughn knee/thigh guards
Itech plastic neck protector

IkeaMonkey*

usmhuskies said:
Synergy with a with a Modano heel blade: great for wrist and snap shot as well as saucers passes and the occasional cross check... :)

Do you play for USM??

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Cool thread.

Goal Pads - 35" Vaughn Velocity 7000 - New this year.

Helmet - Louisville TPS Senior model. Black with chrome cage. New this year. With Plexiglass throat protector. :teach:

Glove - Vaughn Vision 5500. New this year

Blocker - Vaughn Velocity 7000. Ordered in, will be in around Xmas.

Skates - Bauer 3000's. New this year.

Can, pants and chest protecter are all about 8 years old and will need to be updated within the year.

I'll vouch for anyone who says pads are designed to give the goalie and unfair advantage. The difference between these new pads and my old ones is unreal. I'm 6' and used to wear a 32" Louisville "butterfly" pad, if anyone remembers those. The velocity's took a bit of getting used to, but the 5-hole is virtually gone. :yo:

Oh well, I need all the help I can get.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Officer Jim Lahey said:
Cool thread.

Goal Pads - 35" Vaughn Velocity 7000 - New this year.

I'm jealous. If I had oodles of cash laying around, I'd be looking at 35" Heaton Z's. Seems like all the hip people are going with the Velocity pads though.

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
Sweet

Helmet: Bauer HH4000M, it's comfy, not as stlish as the 5000 but it gets the job done, also I put a chrome cage on for extra tweeks, gotta look blingin' ;)

Gloves: Easton ultra lite with wrist wrap, one of the best gloves I've ever worn.

Shoulder: Easton extreme, they're not the biggest shoulder pads but I don't feel a thing when plowing my way through.

Neck: Nike crap deluxe, piece of crap but wtv it's a neckguard, digs into my helmet.

Elbow: Easton extreme again, they fall down sometimes so you have to adjust them sometimes and they bulge out a lot but otherwise, I'm really used to them now.

Pants: Flite, really comfortable and moneoverable.

Shin: Jofe super bulge extreme which fall down with only one strap but will penetrate any slapshot from ur calf to ur foot, ankles included!

Skates: CCM Tacks 552, who needs 800$ skates? These work perfect!

Stick: Easton Ultra Lite with Jofa Sedin blade (meaning to change it soon), apparently Sedin has a huge curve and can't take a slapshot with this blade!

If anyone plays Midget A against Pierrefonds, you may find urself playing a fellow HFer :D

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Brodeur said:
I'm jealous. If I had oodles of cash laying around, I'd be looking at 35" Heaton Z's. Seems like all the hip people are going with the Velocity pads though.

Hip..ha. When I was trying on some newer pads, they all seemed so different from what I was used to. I actually wore a pair of Heaton 10 34" for a couple of games. They were the senior line, not the pro like Brodeur, Kipper, Belfour etc wear. They were just too different.

The first time I put on the Vaughn's I really liked them. So I put oodles of cash on my visa and haven't looked back. :joker:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Helmet: Bauer 8000 (Great helmet)
Gloves: Bauer Vapor XX (Best gloves ever)
Pants: Easton Synergy (very protective and comfortable)
Elbow: Nike V-12 Quest (very flexible, protective, light)
Shoulders: Bauer 8000 (Great lightweight, cool protection)
Shins: Bauer Vapor 10 (02 model), nice pads and you can adjust them too.
Skates: CCM Vector Pros (the suck, sh****est skates I've ever had)
Stick: Easton Stealth (too too light. good power, crappy slap shot, broke on the last day of the warranty so I'm using a Bauer Vapor XX right now which is better untill the stealth comes back. If you're looking to get a stick, get the new Bauer Vapor XXX. It's light but not too light at 425 grams, and has all the features of a synergy only I like Bauer sticks better.

I'm getting Bauer Vapor XXX Skates when they come out next month. They are sick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Officer Jim Lahey said:
Hip..ha. When I was trying on some newer pads, they all seemed so different from what I was used to. I actually wore a pair of Heaton 10 34" for a couple of games. They were the senior line, not the pro like Brodeur, Kipper, Belfour etc wear. They were just too different.

The first time I put on the Vaughn's I really liked them. So I put oodles of cash on my visa and haven't looked back. :joker:

My Heaton 10s are the seniors, so they don't have the extra padding around the knee that the newer pads seem to have. The Z's were pretty nice, both the pros and the seniors....they come with the extra knee stacks and thigh boards standard.

Haven't tried on the Vaughn's yet, but I've had 3 friends get them within the last year and they seem to be thrilled with them. I tried on the Koho 580s, and they didn't feel quite right.

There's an auction on eBay for a custom pair of Heaton Z Pro 35"+1" with matching blocker/glove for $825. You know you're a hockey junky when you think to yourself "That's not a bad price at all."

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Brodeur said:
My Heaton 10s are the seniors, so they don't have the extra padding around the knee that the newer pads seem to have. The Z's were pretty nice, both the pros and the seniors....they come with the extra knee stacks and thigh boards standard.

Haven't tried on the Vaughn's yet, but I've had 3 friends get them within the last year and they seem to be thrilled with them. I tried on the Koho 580s, and they didn't feel quite right.

There's an auction on eBay for a custom pair of Heaton Z Pro 35"+1" with matching blocker/glove for $825. You know you're a hockey junky when you think to yourself "That's not a bad price at all."

Do you (or anyone else) have any tips on breaking in my catcher. I don't get on the ice as often as I'd like, so I've been laying the glove on the floor face down with weight on the back to "open" it up. Then pretty much bouncing a tennis ball around practicing catching with it.

Any tips?

IkeaMonkey*

PanthersRule said:
I'm getting Bauer Vapor XXX Skates when they come out next month. They are sick.

Not if they still have perforated steel. I dont get why companies insist on "perforated/scalloped" steel. It doesnt save that much weight and if it did, the steel is acctually the only part of the skates that hits the ice, so the weight does not matter. All Perf steel does is break and potentially break the holder with it.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
My equipment is all three year old crap that does the job. The shin pads were made by some company that since went out of business, and I am sure they actually offer the same protection as I would get if I taped a couple pads of paper to my shins. In terms of pants I am currently wearing ones that were made my Bauer, and offer **** all for protection, and I have a theory that if they ever were hit my anything would result in them shattering into many different pieces which would then likely pierce my skin, and result in a worse injury. My skates, are an insult to everything that has been posted here. I got them around 5 years ago, and well they were allright then, these days though I think tube skates, or those molded plastic ones that I had as a kid would work better. The blade falls out sometimes.... I will continue this later. But this thread has made me dispise my equipment even more.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Pads: Sher-Wood 7000 Sr
Glove: Sher-Wood 9000 Sr
Blocker:Sher-Wood 9000 Sr
Skates: Koho 460 (Best Goalie skate ever)
Sticks: Bauer 4000 Cujo curve
Shoulder Pads: Brown and a New Vaughn one
Pants: Koho
Jock: Bauer

two out of three*

Pants: Mission M-1, they are nice, but they are falling apart on me.

Skates: Bauer Vapors, can't remember which ones specificly.

Shins: Easton Ultralites, They are good.

Shoulder: Bauer 2000's. Not very protective, but I like them because it helps me move around quicker instead of a hefty set of pads.

Elbows: Bauer 5000's, really good.

Helmet: Bauer 4000. I like it more than the new ones..

Sticks: XN10, and a Response.

canadahockeygirl*

Officer Jim Lahey said:
Do you (or anyone else) have any tips on breaking in my catcher. I don't get on the ice as often as I'd like, so I've been laying the glove on the floor face down with weight on the back to "open" it up. Then pretty much bouncing a tennis ball around practicing catching with it.

Any tips?
I broke in my old one by playing catch with my brother using a baseball (and eventually a softball when it was able to stay open). I don't know if I'd do the same thing with the stuff I'll be getting soon, though. I play often enough that it will be broken in soon.

Right now I have new 32" TPS Bionic II pads, a Heaton chest/arm protector (I think-- my old one might have been a Heaton), old school Bauer skates, itech mask, wicked old Heaton catcher and I believe a Vic blocker-- both of which I've had since 1996 and are waaaaaay too big for my hands and have no padding in them. My new catcher/blocker that are on order are custom done TPS Bionic to match the pads-- now with NHL size catcher/blocker, but small enough to fit my hands. I've been losing my catcher every time a shot goes off it, so I figured it was time for new stuff.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
Helmet: CCM 1052 - The "memory foam" is absolutely horrible and paper thin, very little padding inside the helmet and it feels like you're wearing a solid rock on your head. I get headaches after long skate sessions, it's a terrible helmet and I made the very bad mistake of getting caught up in all the hype with the memory foam and it felt good when I tried it on in the store, it only starts to hurt after 30 mins or so of wearing it... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS HELMET! I'd buy a different helmet but I don't want my 80 bucks to go to waste, lol.

Shield: Itech half shield aviator (forgot the model name)

Shouler: Sher-Wood traditional - I don't need anything big and fancy, I play in a no-checking league.

Elbow: Koho 4420 - very lightweight and mobile.

Shin: Louisville TPS Contour - Tons of protection, very lightweight.

Pants: Tackla Air 9000 - The most comfortable pants on earth, I had them custom tailored for me.

Gloves: Eagle X70 - They're Eagle's, need I say more?

Skates: CCM Pro Tacks - Best skate i've every owned, i've got a weird foot and the Pro Tacks are one of the few skates that actually fit me comfortably.

Stick: Mission M2 composite shaft with various different blades, i'm still trying to find a blade I like.

Last edited:

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
Nice thread...im not exactly sure of some of my stuff, but heres what I got

Helmet: Bauer 5000...easily the best looking helmet on the market in my opinion, which is sadly why i like it so much, lol

Gloves: I actually use two pairs, because my highschool team and my AAA team are completely different colors. For highschool I use graf g5's...great gloves and i got htem for like $50 too, and for my travel team, I have Eagle X51's. The grafs are newer, but have held up much better htan the Eagle's did, as the palm basically ripped up a month after buying them, and the repalming did nearly the same.

Shoulder pads: Jofa 8400s. Nice pads, but i ripped the bubble part off of them because i dont like alot of padding.

Elbow Pads: Jofas as well. I love these things, they are really big, and provide great protection for your arms and wrists.

Pants: Bauer Vapor 8 girdle, with an easton shell. I have had these pants for like 5 yrs now...if you cant tell already, vapor 8s were the hot thing when i got them. Anyway, I absolutely love these things, even though theyre falling apart now. The funny thing is, they have been out for damn near forever, and people still look at me like im wearing a thong or something when i put them on, and usually say, "WHAT THE **** ARE THOSE???"

Shin Pads: Bauer Vapor 10s. These pads have lasted me because they have the adjustable thing at the bottom. They took forever for me to get used to them, but I love them now, they make my legs look sweet.

Skates: Vapor 20s. Anyone who says skates dont make the player didnt wear these. I love everything about them. From when i first picked them up and almost hit myself in the face because they were so light, to when it took me roughly half of a practice to get used to them. I dont know how they can make Vapor 30s, because these are seriously perfect in my opinion.

Stick: Whatever I grab, lol...literally though. I have to use something with a Spezza curve...Bourque if that isnt available. Right now, I am using a franklin shaft my cousin gave me 2yrs ago. He plays for Sacred Heart's D1 team, and apparently those are the sticks he they gave out. I had an Easton Grip, but that broke after about 6 weeks, so I am vowing to stick to crappy shafts.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Sticks - Easton Synergy Rubber & TPS Response Rubber

Skates - Graf 609

Shin Pads - Bauer Vapor

Jock - Itech ( most important equipment, holds your socks and protects your boys)

Gloves - Velocity, awesome gloves better than my old eagles

Pants - Itech

Shoulder Pads - Easton Ultralite

Elbow Pads - Easton Air

Helmet - Bauer 5000

Goodwith Sticks

May 11, 2004
Vancouver
Bauer -Supreme

Helmet HH4000
Elbow - EP1000
Shins - SP 3000 Select
Skates - 5000

Hespeler - Classic Lite (the Classic Lite line is excellent light-weight gear for fleet-footed recreational players like myself)

Classic Lite Shoulders - a modern version of a '70s style shoulder-pad, some thin chest pads and a pair of caps with thin plastic upper-arm guards. IMO so much better than the bulky gladiator-style shoulder pads most companies are pushing right now. Gary Roberts wears these pads

Classic Lite pants

Classic Lite 1000 series gloves

Itech Pro Wave straight cut visor

Louisville TPS rubber shaft with the TPS Brendan Morrow Blade (Standard Heel)
wicked stick!!

Avery4Byng*

hmmmm
lid - nike one just like the bauer 4000... i also have an old skool petr klima like jofa i bring out for special occasions :yo:

gloves - black and teal nike's from kelowna rockets 2001 season.

pants - easton air 4000

skates - ccm ultra white tacks. beauties.

shin pads are jofa same with elbows.

dont wear shoulder pads.

for sticks i love the wooden ones, usualy a shanahan easton does me fine.

badtakemachine

Dec 20, 2002
Helmet: Olie - Switching to Itech 8000
Throat Guard: None - May use Eagle-Butterfly if I play Junior next season
Shoulder: Bauer Supreme Pro
Blocker: Bauer Vapor
Glove: Bauer Vapor
Pants: Bauer Supreme Pro
Pads: Bauer Supreme 35" Pro
Skates: Bauer Supreme 3000
Sticks: Bauer Surpeme 7000 - 2 with Khabibulin Curves, 2 with Pl.31 Curves
Jock: Bauer