What do you suit up in??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Helmet: Jofa 690 in custom teal color. Fits perfect.
Visor: Oakley modified aviator. Great vision.
Gloves: CCM 852. Traditional style gloves, I like it that way.
Skates: CCM 1052. Always preferred CCM skates due to my wide feet.
Pants: Easton Octane. Might be cheap but gets the job done.
Shin Pads: Jofa SG7500. Nice fit and works just fine.
Elbow Pads: Old Kohos, they still get the job done for me.
Shoulder Pads: Jofa SP9700, always trusted Jofa when it comes to being protective.
Stick: Easton Synergy (unknown pro pattern) and some wood sticks.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Pads: 33" Hespeler Sentry GR (New this summer)

Glove: Simmons Matrix (I LOVE THIS GLOVE! New this summer) http://www.donsimmons.com/product.asp?id=233

Blocker: Sherwood SherLite 10 (New this summer)

Those are all in White with black and silver trim... Despite the hodge podge of brand names, the gear looks great together...

Stick: CCM H6 Broduer

Mask: Itech Profile Pro Kevlar 960 (Black)

Pants: Itech 4.8 Seniors

Upper Body: Vaughn VP 6000 Legacy

Cup (Very Important :teach: ): Vaughn Vision 5500

Skates: Bauer 4000 (OLD OLD OLD!) But great skates...

I have a new pair of skates at home that I got a WICKED deal on but despite it being a wicked deal, they are a touch too small and I've tried stretching them and everything and I can't get used to them... so time to sell them... I can't remember the brand name for the life of me... It's not Bauer or CCM or Nike or Graf or any of the big names... But they are very good skates... DAMN what's the name... it'll come to me eventually...

I love my glove, and the blocker I'm starting to really like... The pads are growing on me (as much as a cheap set can)... I wore Louisville Butterfly pads through high school and junior, and right up until this summer, with the exception of a 1 year failed attempt at trying Bauer Reactor 5s... so out of the last 12 years, I've worn Louisville Butterfly pads for 11 years (2 different pairs)... Then I go and try these cheap @ss Hespelers... what a change... For a few weeks I DETESTED them... but I'm starting to get used to them a bit more... they are still cheap as hell though...

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
HAHA!!!!!!!!! I GOT IT!!!!

I knew if I wasted enough time at work today thinking of it I'd come up with the brand name.... :handclap:

The skates I just bought are Riedell's... Not a big name in the hockey skate industry but for figure skating it is a very well known name... The great advantage to their goalie skate is that the blade is actually a touch taller, so it allows a butterfly goaltender more stability and control because as you're going down, it takes longer for your blade to lose contact with the ice when your pad takes over... so you can basically control your up and down movements easier (or so i hear)... but the damn things don't fit... i like a tight skate (size 8 1/2 shoe and size 7 1/2 skate) but these are a size 7... i took them in to be baked... no luck... i tried having them stretched... no luck... ARGH!!! They are $400 skates that I got on a clearance for $100... I couldn't pass it up... and the damn things won't fit!!!!!:banghead:

Speed Demon

Nov 10, 2004
New Brunswick
Stick: TPS XN10, Whip Flex, Brendl Curve. This stick is awesome. It has definitely improved my slap shot.

Skates: Graf G35s with Light Speed Blades. Undeniable performance and comfort, they are very light too. They will burn a hole in the pocket though.

Gloves: Eagle X70s. All black. As stated in a previous post, "They're Eagle's, need I say more?"

Helmet: Bauer 5000. Comfortable, protective and it looks great.

Neckguard: Itech.

Elbow Pads: Some $80.00 Itech ones and I hate them. Too restricting, so I am going head over to Canadian Tire and pick up something more mobile.

Shoulder Pads: Bauer Supreme 3000s. Awesome shoulder pads.

Pants: Nike Quest 2s. Very mobile and protective. Love 'em.

Shin Pads: Bauer Supreme 3000s. Great shin pads.

I also use Underarmour socks and they are awesome.

This is an interesting thread. I can't remember the actual model numbers of all my stuff as I am stuck at work, but if anyone would like to know I can dig it up.

Mask: Itech, black paint, black bars.

Chest Protector: Vaughn Legacy series (bought in 98)

Pants: Heaton pants. Ancient. All the eyelets for the laces at the front have torn out, of the 6 rivets for suspenders I have 2 left. These pants have knee protectors that extend out of the bottom of each leg. The velcro on both straps is long gone. I love these things to death and will NOT part with them.

Pads: Vaughn Vision. Bought these used for $400. They were maybe 1 season old. They are the first incarnations of the Vision probably circa about '98 or so. Great pads.

Glove: Brian's Thief. The one with the double pocket. Purchased with a matching blocker about 9 years ago.

Skates: I love these more than my pants. When I was a kid my feet grew every single year. Always breaking in new skates. Finally when I was 16 they stopped. I bought a pair of Bauer 2000s and one blade replacement and a few new rivets later I still wear them to this day. These skates are 15 years old and are just now starting to look like it.

Sticks: Ugh. I go through tons of these to the point where I refuse to spend more than $55 on one. Currently I'm using a Koho and it's not bad. The only sticks I won't use are Sher-Woods (I've broken 4 of them just shooting the puck) and Bauer because their curves suck. I used to strictly be a Louisville only guy, but I've come to the conclusion that expensive sticks break just as fast as the cheapies and I can't justify the extra cost just because an NHL goalie has his name on the shaft.

Officer Lahey my advice for breaking in your mitt is to find either a softball or baseball (personal preference) and a skate lace or velcro strap of some kind and tie the ball into the palm of the glove after every game. I've been using this system for 12 years and 4 gloves and it works like a charm every time.

Last edited:

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
Helmet: Itech HC95. I don't like the hard foam in the concussion-proof helmets.
Visor: Itech HS22
I also have a Bauer 4000 and a 1Excel Modified Aviator, but neither of the visors fit well on the Bauer helmet. There was no gap between the visor and the front of the helmet which meant it was really close to my face, which I didn't like, and they fogged up quite a bit because there was no room for air circulation.

Shoulder pads: Not sure. Some old pair of Jofa's I stole from my Dad. I'm in a non-checking league and they're not too bulky.

Elbow: Vics that I've had for 10 years. The straps are shot so if I don't have my gloves on to hold them up, they fall off. They'd be great if I was a goon.

Gloves: Also Vics, 550 I believe. They're about 5 years old and the palms are going. But I'm not a big fan of the new gloves nowadays that are tight and pre-molded to the way they think you should have your hand positioned. I'd like to get a pair of Eagles, but I'm too cheap.

Pants: Easton Air 4000. Pretty basic.

Shin: Jofa. Not sure which model.

Skates: I have a pair of old Vapor 8s that I love. They were the top of the line 6 years ago. But they are finally giving out this year. I like the look of the Bauer 8090, and they're lighter than the Bauer 8000. Does anyone have any comments on these skates?

IkeaMonkey*

Hmmmm my Bauer/Nike 4000 + Itech HS22 is my favorite combo of my current head/face protection. Excellent vision, perfect fit and no fog without spray. It fits kinda close to my face, but thats the way I like it. I wear it for protection, not because I have to.

IkeaMonkey*

Pavel said:
Speaking of equipment has there ever been an uglier helmet than the Mission Carbster?

Used to have one when they fit my head....i seemed to grow out of them :X

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Pavel said:
Speaking of equipment has there ever been an uglier helmet than the Mission Carbster?
I don't think it was that bad.

I really hate the way ITECH helmets looks. Same with the standard CCM's. The newer ones are nice, but the standard ones are bad. JOFA old ones are ugly I always though like Selanne's etc... The one Jagr uses is OK tho. It's the one they use at the WJC, they're popular there.

Gretzky's and Messier's helmets were awful.

I have one, but I don't think the HH8000 from Bauer looks good. It only looks good with a half visor IMO. Ovechkin had that at the WC, half visor on an 8000. It looked good.

Reebok has nice looking Helmets coming out.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
PanthersRule said:
I don't think it was that bad.

I really hate the way ITECH helmets looks. Same with the standard CCM's. The newer ones are nice, but the standard ones are bad. JOFA old ones are ugly I always though like Selanne's etc... The one Jagr uses is OK tho. It's the one they use at the WJC, they're popular there.

Gretzky's and Messier's helmets were awful.

I have one, but I don't think the HH8000 from Bauer looks good. It only looks good with a half visor IMO. Ovechkin had that at the WC, half visor on an 8000. It looked good.

Reebok has nice looking Helmets coming out.
I love the itech helmets...SO comfy...and I have the old Gretzky helmet that I wear for 1 tourny a year...haha..it's good times. It's like scrum cap basically...minus the padding...hahahah...

I currently have a Bauer 4000, lovely helmet. Quite comfy, and probably amnog the best looking out there.

and I also think the Bauer 8000 is among the coolest looking helmets around - agreed that the Reebok helmet looked pretty good too....but the Jofa's that Selanne and Jagr wear I do not like one bit at all...haha

So we basically have completely differeing opinions! OH well

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Prevail77 said:
Sweet

Helmet: Bauer HH4000M, it's comfy, not as stlish as the 5000 but it gets the job done, also I put a chrome cage on for extra tweeks, gotta look blingin' ;)

Gloves: Easton ultra lite with wrist wrap, one of the best gloves I've ever worn.

Shoulder: Easton extreme, they're not the biggest shoulder pads but I don't feel a thing when plowing my way through.

Neck: Nike crap deluxe, piece of crap but wtv it's a neckguard, digs into my helmet.

Elbow: Easton extreme again, they fall down sometimes so you have to adjust them sometimes and they bulge out a lot but otherwise, I'm really used to them now.

Pants: Flite, really comfortable and moneoverable.

Shin: Jofe super bulge extreme which fall down with only one strap but will penetrate any slapshot from ur calf to ur foot, ankles included!

Skates: CCM Tacks 552, who needs 800$ skates? These work perfect!

Stick: Easton Ultra Lite with Jofa Sedin blade (meaning to change it soon), apparently Sedin has a huge curve and can't take a slapshot with this blade!

If anyone plays Midget A against Pierrefonds, you may find urself playing a fellow HFer :D

Actually, I play Midget A for Dolbeau-Mistassini. We aren't in the same league but in the same province... dans quel tournoi tu vas?

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
I love the itech helmets...SO comfy...and I have the old Gretzky helmet that I wear for 1 tourny a year...haha..it's good times. It's like scrum cap basically...minus the padding...hahahah...

I currently have a Bauer 4000, lovely helmet. Quite comfy, and probably amnog the best looking out there.

and I also think the Bauer 8000 is among the coolest looking helmets around - agreed that the Reebok helmet looked pretty good too....but the Jofa's that Selanne and Jagr wear I do not like one bit at all...haha

So we basically have completely differeing opinions! OH well
Well, I have an 8000 and it's an awesome helmet and IMO it looks good with a visor. Not without it though. I have a 4000 for reffing with and it's nice. Also a pro aviator cut oakley.
Itech helmets are so so ugly IMO. Bauer look nice.

And I do dislike that old JOFA. I just got so used to seeing it that I stopped complaining. The new Jofa are nice, but Selanne's and Forsberg's old one from like 4 years ago and Alfredsson's old one are all really ugly. The 5000 IMO is the best looking helmet and the Vapor XXX's are the best looking skates LOL.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
For those who are experts in these domains... here are my stick and skates:

Stick: Easton Ultra-Lite with a Kaberle CCM 1052 blade (45$ blade... not so good)

Skates: Easton Octane.

Since I had my new blade, I can't slap shot. Is it just me or that blade is terrible ? Also, I don't know about my skates, but it bothers me... I am a worst player than I was before.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Helmet: Bauer 8000-this helmet is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. It may be expensive, but IMO, it's the best bang for your buck helmet out there.

Cage: One of them new Bauer ones(not sure on the number)-This isn't shiny or black like the Itech ones, but rather a nice grey-silver color, so there's better visibility.

Neck: One of them regular Itech ones-it works just fine, but I don't wear it often anyways. The refs don't notice as it is.

Shoulder: Older Itech ones-not sure what number, but they're decent. A bit too small, so the velcro comes off sometimes, but they'll last another year.

Elbow: Older Koho ones-they're a bit old, but they're very flexible, so I have alot of arm reach.

Gloves: The new CCM ones-I won a whole bunch of new equipment in a CCM contest, and this was one piece of it. Very flexible, and they have palm grip so they don't wear down and I don't have to put tape on my stick for grip.

Pants: The new CCM ones-Like I said, I won a whole bunch of CCM equipment, but not pants. I just bought them to have all CCM outer equipment(since stopped using the CCM helmet)

Shin: The NHL-approved Koho ones-They're the best shin pads out there IMO, so it was a no brainer to get them. Can barely feel any slashes or pucks hit against my shins.

Skates: Newer CCM ones-Not the new Vector ones, but the newest ones before that. Very light and have improved my skating very much. Won them in the same contest as the gloves.

Stick: Vector-Not the new Vector, but the newest one before that. Won it in the same contest as the gloves and skates. Very light and very powerful. I have extra long reach which really helps my playmaking ability. Took all the decals off to be original. :D

ricknashfan_61

Sep 21, 2004
canada
#2 said:
Sticks - Easton Synergy Rubber & TPS Response Rubber

Skates - Graf 609

Shin Pads - Bauer Vapor

Jock - Itech ( most important equipment, holds your socks and protects your boys)

Gloves - Velocity, awesome gloves better than my old eagles

Pants - Itech

Shoulder Pads - Easton Ultralite

Elbow Pads - Easton Air

Helmet - Bauer 5000

In your opinion what stick is better the tps/response rubber or Easton/synergey?

Helmet: Itech (forget witch kind)
Gloves: CCM (420)
Pants: Bauer (supreme)
Skates: CCM (vector)
Stick:tps response rubber

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Awesome thread. Here I go.

Mask: Itech 3000 (Red Dog, and I'm not 100% sure of the model)
Chest Protector: Brian's Altra (Bought this off a friend for fifty bucks, awesome chest protector)
Blocker: Vaughn Velocity 7000 (A more than suitable upgrade from my ancient Vaughn T1000)
Glove: Vaughn T1000 (This thing is finally falling apart on me but I love the pocket)
Pants: Brian's (not sure of model)
Pads: 34" Heaton 10's (I got a great deal on these, super light but as a butterfly goalie, I don't feel they're the best for the job)
Skates: Bauer Supreme 1000 (another great deal, awesome pair of skates)
Sticks: Koho 590 Roy pattern (Nothing but for me)

I eventually plan to buy pads that are more suitable for a butterfly goalie. I'm torn between the Koho 585 and the Velocities. Anyone care to help me make my decision easier?

asilvermtzion

Sep 26, 2004
interesting thread...

helmet-ccm something from about 5 years ago w/ a 1excel half shield (helmet hurts my head sometimes...meh)

shoulder-sherwood classics (2 seasons ago i saw several shoulder injuries...so now i wear pads)

elbow- jofa something from a few years ago (i love these things...they never move)

glove- easton z-air from 2001 (decent enough...i think they are about a half a size too big and its messed with my feel for the puck...i want some eagles next)

pants-easton 4000air (awesome pants)

shin-easton air from 2002

skates-ccm 1052

stick-tps response-nash pattern (ill be very sad when this breaks)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
BooBlancRouge said:
Awesome thread. Here I go.

Mask: Itech 3000 (Red Dog, and I'm not 100% sure of the model)
Chest Protector: Brian's Altra (Bought this off a friend for fifty bucks, awesome chest protector)
Blocker: Vaughn Velocity 7000 (A more than suitable upgrade from my ancient Vaughn T1000)
Glove: Vaughn T1000 (This thing is finally falling apart on me but I love the pocket)
Pants: Brian's (not sure of model)
Pads: 34" Heaton 10's (I got a great deal on these, super light but as a butterfly goalie, I don't feel they're the best for the job)
Skates: Bauer Supreme 1000 (another great deal, awesome pair of skates)
Sticks: Koho 590 Roy pattern (Nothing but for me)

I eventually plan to buy pads that are more suitable for a butterfly goalie. I'm torn between the Koho 585 and the Velocities. Anyone care to help me make my decision easier?

I'm not familiar with the Koho's, but I've been using my velocitys for about 10 games now, and they are awesome for a butterfly goalie. I like to have my pads tight to my legs, and they still face out when I go down into the butterfly. Also they have the *cheater* knee guards that close up the 5 hole. Illegal in the NHL, but not illegal in bush league. :D

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
helmet bauer 4000 - really comfy without being bulky, came with chrome cage which i took off to ref in - and never put back on. im not very bright.

elbows bauer vapor 6 or 8 - great protection but entirely too bulky. im gonna try a jofa pair next.

shins bauer 2000 - they work and were cheap. retrospectively - cheap isnt the way to go on shins. i might keep them for roller because they are comfy, but im gonna go back to jofa's high end pad when i have the xtra cash. they were great - i wore em till fell apart.

pants ccm lower end pant. im not picky on pants as long as they fit

skates ccm 1152 - i know a few guys who work in shops so i got hooked up with these for a little over 200. they are awesome for that price. ive always been a ccm tack guy, though.

gloves franklin 9500 - yeah, i know....franklin. these are pretty sweet gloves though - pretty light. their high end glove is affordable compared to others and the leather breaks in just the same. i hate new gloves - i need mine so broken in my fingers are actually on the stick. i wont replace these until my whole hand fits through the palm. i cant feel the stick with new gloves.

stick sherwood 9950 (leclair) for ice. innovative novious with modano blade for roller and backup ice. the novious is the best shaft ive had and was great for both - i just love wood and have to use it from time to time on ice. leclair pattern has a really low lie thats tricky to get used to (4.5) buts its a sweet toe curve. i prefer the sherwood 7000, but im 6'4 215 and they just dont last long enough for me.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Since im a primarily inline player, I'll do an inline list.

Helmet: Bauer 5000 SE w/ Itech straigt small tinted visor (Great combo, light, protective, nothing more i can ask for)

Elbow Pads: Sherwood 950 classics (awsome pads, fit right, and protect better, i like the older style elbow pads)

Shin Pads: Mission Matrix(I love these pads, they have a shin sleeve and two straps, exaqctly what i want in a pad.)

Inline pants: S7ven 950 pants. (The best they make, i like them better than my m-1s.)

Gloves: Vapor 15 customs. Great glove, not sure if I like these or my Custom Sande 720's better. Either glove is a great one to own.

Skates: V12 boot, with red star chassis, Dynasty wheels. (A $900 skate that i paid $200 for. Not only do i love the price, the boot feels like a slipper.)

Sticks: Inno Tru-1, Inno 1100, Inno Commander w/ inno blade, Vector shaft, XN10, Response + shaft, Response shaft, T-Flex, Easton z-carbon woodie, Ballistikl shaft.

Out of those, I only use the Tru-1 and the Commander. The others are ok, and all the dhafts have various wood or carbon blades.

SedinFan*

Skates: Bauer Vapors (2003 model)

Stick: CCM Vector

Shin Pads: Bauer

Shoulder Pads: Hespeler

Pants: CCM

Elbow Pads: Easton

Helmet: Bauer

Gloves: Itech

As you see, I follow a strict pattern of what I can and can't wear...no not really. It's all good to me.

Sakic19

Oct 9, 2002
Left Wing
Visit site
Great Thread...

Helmet: Bauer 4000 with Oakley visor

Elbow: Koho midrange

Shin: Jofa midrange

Breezers: Easton Extreme

Gloves: Nike Quest 2

Stick: Synergy Grip Lidstrom and newly acquired Synergy Si-core Sakic

Skates: Bauer Vapor THG...not quite XX

May 1, 2003
Visit site
ricknashfan_61 said:
In your opinion what stick is better the tps/response rubber or Easton/synergey?

Helmet: Itech (forget witch kind)
Gloves: CCM (420)
Pants: Bauer (supreme)
Skates: CCM (vector)
Stick:tps response rubber

The Easton Synergy Rubber is much better imo, i havent had my tps long and its already starting to break down. Also the Synergy is lighter and i think i get a better shot off with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad