What do you do for work?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I bought an alpine white Les Paul in October, and I’m about to have a local luthier build me a custom capri orange strat, with a maple neck, and custom fat 50 pickups. Life is good!
Gaaah! Ive had the same 300$ guitar (a handcrafted Sandberg, local guitarbuilder) since i started play 20+ years ago. I suck, but i would rather suck playing a Les Paul.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I live in Northern Ontario...Quite a few sheet metal customers...I don't think a lot of the kids today are fond of getting their hands dirty or maybe nicked now and then...Seems many of them prefer techie type jobs...Problem is there are too many applicants for the # of jobs available...Some should consider giving one or more of the trades a shot...Decent money and, as I said, shortage of workers.
Agreed.
Had this one kid come in. After a week he tells me he's afraid of heights! I asked him if he realized he will always be working off a lift or ladder, he said ya but didnt know it was that high up haha
He left within a month.
I think what you said about the kids not wanting to get their hands dirty is the real problem but I'm sure it will sort it self out eventually

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
My wife is pushing me to get into law. I'm 33 and it seems like a daunting task. I know I'd be good at it but starting a career at 40 doesn't sound fun.

Don't take this as preachy or anything please, just my story.

My first career (yeah, you could call it that), I was a journeyman powerlineman (think they are called powerline technologists now, not even sure), anyhooo, I had about 18 years in the trade, good job and I liked it, but, I really really wanted to go to uni, always had (maybe i was insecure and didn't think I was smart enough, another story though).
Anyways, I kept saying, geez, I"m 38, and I won't be finished until I"m 42, or if I do an MA or law, I won't be finished till I'm 45, etc etc. But, I had this sense about hmmm 7 or 8 years, that's what it's gonna take before I'm finished, and that's seems a long time and all, but, I also had this opposing feeling (which was stronger), 7 or 8 years are going to go by whether I stay in my job or go off to uni, those years are still going to go by. But, open that new door and in 8 years, you are really going to be in a new place; in so many ways.

So, I did it, my undergrad was with distinction, and got a t/a while doing my MA at U of Alta, and it all turned out pretty good.

People, lots of friends and family, said, try it, you can always go back, you can always go back, somehow, we don't usually go back; for the most part I don't think we do.

I was lucky, I could work summers back with the utility company during semester breaks, so, the first 4 years during my BA, I was still making good money, maybe you'd have that sort of opportunity as well.

Good luck to you.

member 300185

Pejorative Slured....damn auto cucumber. I am retired and touring Europe with the old ball and chain for 4 months right now.

Reactions: Tall Morty

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Awesome to hear! Blues is pure soul. Never too late to start :) cheers!

Yeah I always loved the blues. I'm not quite new to the game, been playing acoustic for a few decades and am a half-decent campfire guitarist I guess. I sing too so that helps. Started with electric a couple of years ago, don't have much time for it but I am making progress.

I feel your pain about not many live venues these days for jazz-blues. I was in europe when Healey had his club or I probably would have been there a lot and I loved going to Albert's Hall when I was younger, I'm very sad that there's no place like that in Toronto any more.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I bought an alpine white Les Paul in October, and I’m about to have a local luthier build me a custom capri orange strat, with a maple neck, and custom fat 50 pickups. Life is good!

I picked up a 2018 Les Paul Faded Bourbon last fall. Had my eye on it for months, then they dropped the price from 1100 I think to 900 and I couldn't resist. I had a 60s CV Strat and and Epiphone SG that I paid about 650 for, I quickly sold them for about what I paid for them and got the LP so it was as if I got another guitar in the 300 range and trade the three for one good one. Couldn't be more happy, it's a lot of guitar for the money, it's chambered so not too heavy and sounds amazing. No coil tapping or fancy cosmetics but I don't care about that anyway.

Of course I'm already thinking what my second electric will be if I stick with it and get good enough to justify the purchase in my own mind. :)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
My wife is pushing me to get into law. I'm 33 and it seems like a daunting task. I know I'd be good at it but starting a career at 40 doesn't sound fun.
while your wife may be a very fine lady others expectations are not yours to fulfill, your happiness is what's most important and yes if you want to be a 35k per year lackey start the law at 40

I once had a notion about the law, but never pursued it even though I passed the LSAT's no problem, I chose work and money instead, now that I'm now retired I'm thinking about taking some post-grad classes but only for my own knowledge and amusement, Elizabethan Lit perhaps as I've had a life long romanticization of those times and of course the first true development of what we now know as modern English

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

build it yourself from Warmoth, it's very easy, I built one with my youngest about 8 years ago it was a fun project for the two of us, he put in Dallen VooDoo's he gigs that beast all the time

heres your start; New Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s Pickups Prewired Loaded Pickguard Strat (All Colors All Hole Patterns)

I have the fats in my Am Std, sweet sweet stratalicious tones

Last edited:

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Yeah I always loved the blues. I'm not quite new to the game, been playing acoustic for a few decades and am a half-decent campfire guitarist I guess. I sing too so that helps. Started with electric a couple of years ago, don't have much time for it but I am making progress.

I feel your pain about not many live venues these days for jazz-blues. I was in europe when Healey had his club or I probably would have been there a lot and I loved going to Albert's Hall when I was younger, I'm very sad that there's no place like that in Toronto any more.
Wow see even both of those places are way before my time.
I'm sad I missed out on a time when Toronto was the jazz capital of Canada. What I would have given to have seen Oscar Peterson play live once.
There's sometimes some really quality blues sets at some low-key places. Poetry Jazz Cafe in Kensington Market has some great shows sometimes but they're not really a dedicated venue for that. The Jordan John band is really great when they play, with Prakash John on bass.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wow see even both of those places are way before my time.
I'm sad I missed out on a time when Toronto was the jazz capital of Canada. What I would have given to have seen Oscar Peterson play live once.
There's sometimes some really quality blues sets at some low-key places. Poetry Jazz Cafe in Kensington Market has some great shows sometimes but they're not really a dedicated venue for that. The Jordan John band is really great when they play, with Prakash John on bass.

Jazz Cafe, that's interesting, thanks for the tip.

Yeah I guess I'm old, sigh. I loved Alberts Hall so much, small cover charge, cheap beer and great Blues musicians every week. I remember seeing Jeff Healey play there when he was still a nobody, my buddy told me that he was blind, I didn't know shit. I loved the music though, Blues has always been my favourite genre.

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
But does she ask you from the comfort of being warm head to toe with the convenience of freedom of movement?

Does she ask you while looking stylish in one of many fun prints?

Does she ask you while surrounded by loved ones, knowing that she is encouraging their sensory, social, creative and imagination development through the creativity of Snuggie Tails?

Does she ask you while counting... hands free.... the tens of dollars you will be saving on heating bills and future therapy?

You sir, are a good family man.

Uhhh ... Why do I have the urge to buy MORE Snuggies ...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Uhhh ... Why do I have the urge to buy MORE Snuggies ...

Call within the next 30 mins and we will send you a FREE gift... your very own URO-Club.

What the URO-Club you ask?

Sadly, I can’t make this stuff up. Let me just include a snippet from the website:

How many times has this happened to you? You’re playing 18 holes with your best buddies, drinking water, beer, sports drinks, etc . You’re coming up to the 3rd hole with no rest room in sight. There are no trees or bushes around and you just have to go, what are you going to do?
The UroClub™ is the discrete, sanitary way for your urgent relief. Created by a Board Certified Urologist, it looks like an ordinary golf club, but contains a reservoir built into the grip to relieve yourself. The UroClub™ is leak proof, easy to clean and no more embarrassing moments.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

giphy.gif

Thankfully, as they say, there will be no more embarrassing moments.

And I suppose it has uses beyond the golf course, like in line at the grocery store.... or on an airplane... at the buffet.. Festivals and parades..... your local gym.... or at the beach on your next all inclusive vacation.... seemingly endless situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad