OT: What do you do for work and/or school?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
My fellows in law enforcement and the armed forces; stay safe and stay alert. Ugly times ahead.

True
Terrible things going on in my former homeland right now which is very saddening and not good.

But the past has not been that pretty either.
Thinking mostly of the armed forces.
Engaged in 3 never ending wars deployed far from home.
Where both purpose and motive now largely in question.
On average 18 veterans commit suicide every day.
Most people I know that have served the past 15 years are in a stage of disillusionment and despair.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
True
Terrible things going on in my former homeland right now which is very saddening and not good.

But the past has not been that pretty either.
Thinking mostly of the armed forces.
Engaged in 3 never ending wars deployed far from home.
Where both purpose and motive now largely in question.
On average 18 veterans commit suicide every day.
Most people I know that have served the past 15 years are in a stage of disillusionment and despair.

It's 22 a day. Yes, it's been a bit difficult finding purpose or motivation this deployment but I still love my job stateside. I'm currently deployed but at home my job is essentially law enforcement and I am not 2 hours away from Dallas. Very disturbing time.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It's 22 a day. Yes, it's been a bit difficult finding purpose or motivation this deployment but I still love my job stateside. I'm currently deployed but at home my job is essentially law enforcement and I am not 2 hours away from Dallas. Very disturbing time.

Sadly, things are going to get a hell of a lot worse before they get better. I never thought I'd see such division.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Well the biggest thing to remember is that your major doesn't have to define what you do for the rest of your life. I have plenty of co-workers who majored in something and now do something completely unrelated. One has a MFA and now he writes code. Another has a degree in music composition and he's a project manager.

I took a test in the 8th grade that told me the kind of career I should have. I liked airplanes, science, and math. So 5 years later I was in school studying aeronautical engineering and not only was I incredibly confused, I was bored out of my mind as well. In my spare time I was building small websites for clans I was playing PC games with and I finally realized that's what I really enjoyed.

Do I think I'll do this for the rest of my life? No way. Part of what I love about it now is constantly trying to be ahead of the next big framework or concept, and it's inevitably going to burn me out. So don't set the expectation on yourself that having it entirely figured out by the time you go to college is 100% required.

Can not stress this enough. I started college as a science major, wanted to go into physical therapy. Then, realized it wasn't for me. After 2 years, switched to a business track and wound up as a finance major. I took the scenic route through school. After 4 years, and 3 different schools, stopped going and started working. Got my series 7 and worked as a chop shop broker for about a year. Realized it wasn't for me and got a job at a discount brokerage handling trade disputes. At the time (99-2000) the joke in the office was if we got fired we would find a new job on our way out of the building. But, it wasn't really a joke. The Sunday NY Times used to have thousands and thousands of listings for Wall St jobs. Then, it dried up. Went back to school in the Spring of 2001 and finished in the fall of 2002, got laid off in November 2001.

By the time I graduated, everyone and their mother was majoring in finance and there were very few jobs outside of sales, which I was not interested in doing. Friend of mine was a principal at a junior high and asked if I wanted to try teaching. At the time, there was a teacher shortage and they had all kinds of modified teaching licenses. It was towards the beginning of the push to bring people with work experience from the private sector into teaching. She pulled me into the system, couldn't hire me, but I did wind up getting a job. Truth is, I did it because I needed a paycheck and I was still looking for Wall St jobs when I first started. My first year, I was a disaster, kids didn't listen, parents didn't care, it was culture shock from when I went to school. Luckily, I had VERY supportive administrators and co-workers who helped me. Not every new teacher was so lucky. Many are thrown to the wolves (Like I was) but then have supervisors riding them non-stop. I still tell the Asst Principal I worked under that year, that if he had been a jerk to me, I would have quit. Anyways, Wall St jobs were still dead. Was offered my position back the following August and I took it with the understanding that if my 2nd year went like my first, I was done. Was not going to go through it for 30 years hoping to survive each day without choking someone. Somehow, my 2nd year things clicked. Finished my licensing, got my masters and have been teaching now for 13 years. Looking back on it, part of me wishes I started as an Education major so I could have started teaching at 22, instead of 27. But oh well. Part of me thinks if I did it that way, I'd probably have it in the back of my mind that I should have gone the Wall St or Physical Therapy route. So many people I have met/worked with who did start as an Ed major and have done nothing BUT teach have said they wished they did something else. I teach jr high math and legos, and have taught science as well, over the years.

Crazy thing is, I am happy with my job. Is it perfect? No, but I got in at the right time. With my after-school center and summer jobs, I often work with HS and college students and when they ask, I advise against going into teaching now.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I see this at work all the time - I love when people try to take like $140 in twenties and shove them all into the machine. One at a time, bro.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I want to make more money. I'm, I guess I'd say, mid-level in my current career path. Next step is senior level, but the money still won't be enough to get that 1 bedroom in the Upper East Side that I've got my eye on when my current lease (that I already can't afford) runs out next May.

I hit my year at my current position next month, but all my "in industry" people are telling me not to expect what I am expecting (not to be confused with what to expect when you are expecting). So regardless, I'm going to wait the month and see what this current spot offers me, if anything.

Don't think I've seen anyone with this status in this thread, but if anyone has any idea where I can pivot from the web analytics role I'm in now at a marketing agency to a similar career that pays more than a marketing agency does, I'm all ears :)

tumblr_krlb2vnR9B1qzbatyo1_250.gif

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I want to make more money. I'm, I guess I'd say, mid-level in my current career path. Next step is senior level, but the money still won't be enough to get that 1 bedroom in the Upper East Side that I've got my eye on when my current lease (that I already can't afford) runs out next May.

I hit my year at my current position next month, but all my "in industry" people are telling me not to expect what I am expecting (not to be confused with what to expect when you are expecting). So regardless, I'm going to wait the month and see what this current spot offers me, if anything.

Don't think I've seen anyone with this status in this thread, but if anyone has any idea where I can pivot from the web analytics role I'm in now at a marketing agency to a similar career that pays more than a marketing agency does, I'm all ears :)

Canadiens just fired their analytics guy, if you want to take a spin there. :naughty:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Canadiens just fired their analytics guy, if you want to take a spin there. :naughty:

I mean, that truly is my ultimate goal, but I sit on hockey Twitter all day. There are so many talented people out there doing such great work that don't work for teams that I know I have no shot.

So, onward to elsewhere :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

If you want to switch to another role you can go get an MBA. You're a smart guy you can get into a good school. You can also try to work in direct marketing or brand management or something (the latter is occupied by MBAs but I don't know if it's exclusively by MBAs, I don't think it's rocket science) for a CPG (Consumer Packed Goods) company like say Pepsi. Maybe you can try for a role at Google or any technology.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
My deployment is over in ~2 weeks The relief and anticipation is becoming unbearable.

I miss good food and cold beer and temperatures below 112 degrees. I miss having a couch to sit on and being able to watch NHL Live before bed.

I miss my wife and my dogs. So much.

I'm so ready. It's so hard to focus on the job here when I know I'm so close to getting back home. At the same time, being in law enforcement and heading home to the Dallas area feels like I'm just heading to another conflict. I'm very thankful for 14 days of R&R followed by 20 days of leave so that I won't to put my uniform on for a month and hopefully tensions cool a bit.

Once I do get back to work hockey will almost be upon us again. I can't wait for training camp and preseason hockey to begin. I can't wait for the one local rink to have ice again starting in late September so I can skate.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If you want to switch to another role you can go get an MBA. You're a smart guy you can get into a good school. You can also try to work in direct marketing or brand management or something (the latter is occupied by MBAs but I don't know if it's exclusively by MBAs, I don't think it's rocket science) for a CPG (Consumer Packed Goods) company like say Pepsi. Maybe you can try for a role at Google or any technology.

All good ideas. I'm not that smart, though. School was never my thing. Always had trouble learning things when I forced to learn them. Reading when I was forced to read, etc... Need to motivate myself to get anything done.

silverfish you need to work for the Rangers. They need help in analytics. And in general.

I believe on the list of most HFNYR members' nightmares, this is #1 :laugh:

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I would advise against going back to school full-time for an MBA or other graduate degree unless you know for certain the degree is the difference between getting that job you want or not. And more often than people realize, it is just not. Degrees are expensive and don't forget about the opportunity cost of not earning income for year or two. I've seen too many people not happy with their careers drop everything to go back to school without really doing a meaningful cost-benefit analysis on it. Arguably 10% of my law school class. It was sad to see.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Look into analytics within the banking or healthcare industries. Right now both are desperately trying to modernize their infrastructure across sometimes dozens of integrated platforms and thousands of customers. They're throwing money at people who they think can optimize their spending and increase market share.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I would advise against going back to school full-time for an MBA or other graduate degree unless you know for certain the degree is the difference between getting that job you want or not. And more often than people realize, it is just not. Degrees are expensive and don't forget about the opportunity cost of not earning income for year or two. I've seen too many people not happy with their careers drop everything to go back to school without really doing a meaningful cost-benefit analysis on it. Arguably 10% of my law school class. It was sad to see.

Yeah, I'm not going back to school unless my company pays for it. That's what I told myself in 2012, and that's what I'm saying to myself now. Think the only thing that's remained constant in the past four years :laugh:

Look into analytics within the banking or healthcare industries. Right now both are desperately trying to modernize their infrastructure across sometimes dozens of integrated platforms and thousands of customers. They're throwing money at people who they think can optimize their spending and increase market share.

Good tip, thanks!!!

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can not stress this enough. I started college as a science major, wanted to go into physical therapy. Then, realized it wasn't for me. After 2 years, switched to a business track and wound up as a finance major. I took the scenic route through school. After 4 years, and 3 different schools, stopped going and started working. Got my series 7 and worked as a chop shop broker for about a year. Realized it wasn't for me and got a job at a discount brokerage handling trade disputes. At the time (99-2000) the joke in the office was if we got fired we would find a new job on our way out of the building. But, it wasn't really a joke. The Sunday NY Times used to have thousands and thousands of listings for Wall St jobs. Then, it dried up. Went back to school in the Spring of 2001 and finished in the fall of 2002, got laid off in November 2001.

By the time I graduated, everyone and their mother was majoring in finance and there were very few jobs outside of sales, which I was not interested in doing. Friend of mine was a principal at a junior high and asked if I wanted to try teaching. At the time, there was a teacher shortage and they had all kinds of modified teaching licenses. It was towards the beginning of the push to bring people with work experience from the private sector into teaching. She pulled me into the system, couldn't hire me, but I did wind up getting a job. Truth is, I did it because I needed a paycheck and I was still looking for Wall St jobs when I first started. My first year, I was a disaster, kids didn't listen, parents didn't care, it was culture shock from when I went to school. Luckily, I had VERY supportive administrators and co-workers who helped me. Not every new teacher was so lucky. Many are thrown to the wolves (Like I was) but then have supervisors riding them non-stop. I still tell the Asst Principal I worked under that year, that if he had been a jerk to me, I would have quit. Anyways, Wall St jobs were still dead. Was offered my position back the following August and I took it with the understanding that if my 2nd year went like my first, I was done. Was not going to go through it for 30 years hoping to survive each day without choking someone. Somehow, my 2nd year things clicked. Finished my licensing, got my masters and have been teaching now for 13 years. Looking back on it, part of me wishes I started as an Education major so I could have started teaching at 22, instead of 27. But oh well. Part of me thinks if I did it that way, I'd probably have it in the back of my mind that I should have gone the Wall St or Physical Therapy route. So many people I have met/worked with who did start as an Ed major and have done nothing BUT teach have said they wished they did something else. I teach jr high math and legos, and have taught science as well, over the years.

Crazy thing is, I am happy with my job. Is it perfect? No, but I got in at the right time. With my after-school center and summer jobs, I often work with HS and college students and when they ask, I advise against going into teaching now.

Fantastic post, especially the first part confirming you don't have to do what you majored in. Though I majored in Computer Technology at New Jersey Institute of Technology, I can absolutely see myself going into management/business later in life (even entrepreneurship, but I haven't thought that far ahead).

I'm an Contractor for KPMG via Consulting Company doing IT Administration work -- not as fancy as coding and websites, but engineering software platforms and hardware configurations is something I really enjoy doing rather than laboring over line after line of code (scripting is the closest I get to it, and even that I don't mind because it's such a high level of coding compared to programming).

I play Roller and Ice Hockey in my spare time on Men's and Pickup leagues, and I'm also in a casual sand Volleyball league with some friends.

Party often, but never too hard--was never like that.

Sorry, I realize this is not the thread for "about me", but I figured I'd give it all since I was already at it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad