OT: What do you do for work and/or school?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
One thing I noticed about this board is that it's relatively young compared to other boards I've been too. But it's actually very well versed in stats/analytics. More so than any other board I've been to. I was wondering what you guys either did for a living or were going to school for. I've tried to be sort of private on this board, I wouldn't want a Lundqvist loving employer finding out about my meltdowns. :sarcasm:
Despite that I'll start:

I just recently got an MBA at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and am now looking for a full time job in Marketing or Marketing Research. I'm interested in Tech, but we'll see how it goes.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have a masters degree from Fordham Graduate School of Business and I work as a CPA for an investment bank in New York.

Interesting is masters degree an accounting degree or an MBA? If it's the latter do you feel like that's a valuable degree for accounting? Usually I feel like MBAs don't go the accounting route. I did go to school with one girl who was like the youngest in the class and was doing her MBA AND taking CPA exams.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
Went to school for Mechanical Engineering, and took another degree for Industrial Design. Went on to be a M.E for MakerBot Industries working on the MB2/2x/5th gen systems

Currently working for a SaaS system as a Product Manager. Nowhere near as cool, but it made sense for my career.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Interesting is masters degree an accounting degree or an MBA? If it's the latter do you feel like that's a valuable degree for accounting? Usually I feel like MBAs don't go the accounting route. I did go to school with one girl who was like the youngest in the class and was doing her MBA AND taking CPA exams.

I actually have a Masters in Taxation. It was only a 30-credit program and I got it immediately after graduating from Binghamton where I double-majored in Accounting and Finance. Before my current job I was working in international tax consulting at a Big 4 accounting firm in NYC.

As far as MBA's go, my brother-in-law studied Finance as an undergrad and then went to school after working a few years (Fordham as well) and got an MBA in Accounting and then got his CPA license. I think the MBA was valuable for him because he was switching disciplines from Finance to Accounting. Otherwise, say you're already a CPA, I don't think there is much of a point in spending the money on an MBA unless you are trying to switch careers. The CPA exam requires 30 accounting credits (as well as a total of 150 credits) so the MBA in Accounting can be a way to get those Accounting credits.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
I'm a freelance copywriter and content marketer. SnowblindNYR, are you looking for a marketing job in certain cities? I'm based out of Boston, so most of my contacts are there but I'm happy to help however I can.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

iamthewalrus

Aug 1, 2010
Connecticut
Electrical Engineer in Southeast CT, been working for a little over a year. Grew up on the NY border, way too many Boston fans over here

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I used to be the VP of our Home Health division. Resigned not too long ago as the travel was getting unbearable (both the amount of travel and the fact that I H A T E flying) and after I got back from my honeymoon last year I was on the road for 13 consecutive weeks... I knew it was time.

I am still with the same company and I am now the Director of Home Health and Private Duty staffing (started my career in staffing) and I run all internal staffing operations related to our provider services group.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I'm the director of global client operations for a logistics company here in the city whose clients are in the aerospace, medical, and high tech fields.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Interesting Snowblind just sent you a PM. I am going for my MBA in the Fall and almost chose CMU. Great school.

I work in real estate acquisitions for a large hospitality company in the area. I've found it to be a bit too niche for me so I wanted to use the MBA to pivot my focus a bit.

Gardner that is brutal. I don't know how consultants can live that life year round.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Manager for an Equity Compensation Administration firm.

Equity Compensation = Stock Options, ESPP, etc.

Last thing I ever expected when I was younger was to work in financial services. Funny how life turns out.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Interesting Snowblind just sent you a PM. I am going for my MBA in the Fall and almost chose CMU. Great school.

I work in real estate acquisitions for a large hospitality company in the area. I've found it to be a bit too niche for me so I wanted to use the MBA to pivot my focus a bit.

Gardner that is brutal. I don't know how consultants can live that life year round.

I have no idea either. When I was first promoted, the travel was only every other week. I could handle that. Then as we acquired more assets, it became 3 weeks out of the month, then every week, then sometimes coming home on Saturday afternoon and having to fly back out Monday morning...

Not enough money in the world to get me doing something like that ever again.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Currently:

-Intern at an advisory/consulting firm
-Going to grad school for my MBA in finance with concentration in International Business
-Will be a graduate assistant this coming year

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
BA in English Lit. Looking into a few different grad programs in different subjects. Playing music on the side...did an album back in December. Working on a follow-up now.

Currently working full-time in academic advising. Pretty good gig, and they'll foot the bill for 2/3 of my Master's when I decide to go.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Went to school for Mechanical Engineering, and took another degree for Industrial Design. Went on to be a M.E for MakerBot Industries working on the MB2/2x/5th gen systems

Currently working for a SaaS system as a Product Manager. Nowhere near as cool, but it made sense for my career.

I worked fro an SaaS company over the summer. Product Manager is a cool role. It's a very popular role for top MBAs.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Tech project manager for an Insurance/Finance company.

Been working on SAP implementations for a few years now. I had nothing to do with their work on NHL.com, thankfully.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Last thing I ever expected when I was younger was to work in financial services. Funny how life turns out.

Definitely weird - I wanted to be an astronaut growing up. Studied mathematics/physics in school. Back then I thought stats was batting averages. Then I became an actuary. Don't think NASA needs those.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I do none of these wonderful things :/

I'm an AV Technician/Audio Engineer.

Trying to break into management though.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm a freelance copywriter and content marketer. SnowblindNYR, are you looking for a marketing job in certain cities? I'm based out of Boston, so most of my contacts are there but I'm happy to help however I can.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Thanks, I just PMed you.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for the PM, I responded. You can disregard my question about what you did, now. :laugh:

Regarding consulting, one of the reasons I didn't even consider it when half my school went for consulting. I just can't travel that much.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Front End Architect for a consultancy with an office here in Pittsburgh. I work primarily on large scale applications for the healthcare industry. Lots of migration work from legacy Flex/Flash applications to more modern stacks.

Congrats on the MBA, snowblind. Tepper is really well respected.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

I'm an MBA and currently taking my cpa. I work in big 4 audit. I got my MBA in accounting because I was not a business major in undergrad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad