Player Discussion What do we have in Oscar Fantenberg?

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I thought he was really good in the playoffs...you could argue some games he was better than either Edler or Tanev at winning battles, skating out of trouble and moving the puck. He has the important combination of strength, skating, hockey sense and a cheap contract. Very efficient player as long as he doesn't get too aggressive positionally which was the one issue he had at times in the regular season especially with Myers who does the same thing.

I'd argue he's a very good 5 and can spot in the top 4 with injuries, and definitely better than a 7-8. He's probably the best 3rd pairing defenseman we've had in a long time.

Reactions: David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought he was really good in the playoffs...you could argue some games he was better than either Edler or Tanev at winning battles, skating out of trouble and moving the puck. He has the important combination of strength, skating, hockey sense and a cheap contract. Very efficient player as long as he doesn't get too aggressive positionally which was the one issue he had at times in the regular season especially with Myers who does the same thing.

I'd argue he's a very good 5 and can spot in the top 4 with injuries, and definitely better than a 7-8. He's probably the best 3rd pairing defenseman we've had in a long time.

Seriously?

Fantenberg is strong and slow and pretty fundamentally solid defensively but can't transition the puck to save his life and is a possession black hole. The guy was -14 in his last 26 games of the regular season while playing soft minutes on a weak team. He was a bit better in the playoffs but after his first 10 games his regular season was tragic.

In the end, in his last 42 games played he had 4 points and was a -17.

He's a pure 7-8 and nothing more.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Seriously?

Fantenberg is strong and slow and pretty fundamentally solid defensively but can't transition the puck to save his life and is a possession black hole. The guy was -14 in his last 26 games of the regular season while playing soft minutes on a weak team. He was a bit better in the playoffs but after his first 10 games his regular season was tragic.

In the end, in his last 42 games played he had 4 points and was a -17.

He's a pure 7-8 and nothing more.

He skates better than either Edler or Tanev. His first pass was solid, and the strength and skating gives him time to make a play when facing a forecheck unlike Edler or Tanev (Tanev used to be able to do this better). We need more mobility and Fantenberg is good in that regard for cheap, and doesn't suck at anything.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Cant see how he can fit next season if Juolevi and Rathbone are fighting for spots

Hughes Stecher
Edler Myers
Rathbone XX

Then Juolevi and Benn. And thats assuming no Tanev who if not him someone else has to come in so would Fantenburg be ok being the #9? Hope he enjoys Utica

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He skates better than either Edler or Tanev. His first pass was solid, and the strength and skating gives him time to make a play when facing a forecheck unlike Edler or Tanev (Tanev used to be able to do this better). We need more mobility and Fantenberg is good in that regard for cheap, and doesn't suck at anything.

His straight-line skating might be comparable but his pivoting and footwork is nowhere near Edler or especially Tanev.

And yes, he does suck at something - transitioning the puck. His puck skills are barely better than Gudbranson-level and at the very bottom end for NHL defenders.

He's a #7-8 guy you can plug into a 3rd pairing and who won't hurt you with glaring defensive mistakes, although the pairing he's on will usually have possession tilted against it.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I thought he was really good in the playoffs...you could argue some games he was better than either Edler or Tanev at winning battles, skating out of trouble and moving the puck..

Um...what? You know "moving the puck" means passing it with control to a forward skating out of the zone, and not just shooting it off the glass and out, right?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Fantenberg was pretty solid for the type of player he is. No glaring mistakes or particularly bad games. He played relatively physical (threw hits, blocked shots), defended relatively well, didn't give away the puck but he was completely hemmed in so you noticed him a lot out there doing the things that I described above. I think Fantenberg can be a serviceable #6 but not if the #5 is Jordie Benn. The Canucks should use the #6 slot to play a Rathbone or Juolevi.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on the intimations from Jimbo in the post-season presser, Juolevi will be on this team next season. And Rathbone will probably have to
'play his way off the roster' in training camp. Otherwise, they'll start the season with him too.

No room for Fantenberg.....and makes you wonder about Benn too.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Fantenberg served the team well this year. Time to make space though for developing prospects. After Hughes and Petersson sign their deals next year the team will need a number of entry level players ready to make significant contributions. Roster spots need to be taken up now by D prospects who are ready or almost ready. As I’ve said before Rafferty, Juolevi, and Rathbone all need opportunities this coming year at the nhl level.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Based on the intimations from Jimbo in the post-season presser, Juolevi will be on this team next season. And Rathbone will probably have to
'play his way off the roster' in training camp. Otherwise, they'll start the season with him too.

No room for Fantenberg.....and makes you wonder about Benn too.

Yep. Left side Edler Juolevi Rathbone, right side Myers Stecher(?) Rafferty. That would already make Benn a 7th D and no space for Fantenberg. And personally I am fully on board for just letting the young guys play, especially given no AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just caught up with TSN Scouting Director Craig Button on with Halford and Brough at TSN 1040.

Extremely bullish on Rafferty as an NHL d-man--saying he'll be ready next year to step in. Didn't really see it in this abbreviated training camp in the bubble, but Button has seen him a lot and is very high on him.

I also have no idea whether he's good enough to ever replace Chris Tanev.....but given their cap situation, they be forced to try it.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He's alright and was more than serviceable in the playoffs - played above his paygrade. But with Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone all looking for spots, and assuming Benn is going to stay on this team, there's no room for Fantenberg. He deserves a starting #6 spot on a worse team instead of riding the pine all season for us

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose if he wanted to accept a role like Biega did a few seasons ago, then there's a chance he's back. Beiga would sit out for 15 games and then get slotted in as an injury-replacement and perform surprisingly well.

But it's a unrewarding role and I would think he'd want to go elsewhere for more playing time.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bye bye Fanta. You’re an old soft drink that we don’t like anymore.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fantenberg and Benn played very well in the playoffs and stepped up when Myers was out.

Like Fantenberg’s game, however with Juolevi & Rafferty close, Fantenberg’s services won’t be needed, unless we lose one of Tanev or Stecher, if that happens resign Fantenberg.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Fantenberg and Benn played very well in the playoffs and stepped up when Myers was out.

Like Fantenberg’s game, however with Juolevi & Rafferty close, Fantenberg’s services won’t be needed, unless we lose one of Tanev or Stecher, if that happens resign Fantenberg.
NO WAY Fanta will replace either Tanev or even Stecher's minutes.

He's a depth D (#7/#8). Nothing more. If we lose anything in the top six, we need an actual top 6 guy to replace them. And it sure as **** ain't Benn either (another #7/#8 guy).

But at least Fanta is/will be cheap. Benn is but another guy on the team that is overpaid for what he brings. Not remotely as bad as some of the other stiffs on the team (but we're not in a position to be overpaying for anyone right now).

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
NO WAY Fanta will replace either Tanev or even Stecher's minutes.

He's a depth D (#7/#8). Nothing more. If we lose anything in the top six, we need an actual top 6 guy to replace them. And it sure as **** ain't Benn either (another #7/#8 guy).

But at least Fanta is/will be cheap. Benn is but another guy on the team that is overpaid for what he brings. Not remotely as bad as some of the other stiffs on the team (but we're not in a position to be overpaying for anyone right now).

Lol I meant we should keep Fantenberg for depth in case the rookie Dmen struggle or injuries occur. If Tanev or Stecher are gone, the reality is we probably won’t be able to sign a good defenceman in free agency due to our Cap situation. If we resign Tanev & Stecher, one of Tofolli or Markstrom will be gone. Roster will have some holes that will need to be filled by cheap players.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If we don't re-sign him, we'll need someone who brings what he does to fill in for inevitable injuries. At the very least, he's low event in his own end, which is something we'll need with all the youth we'll be injecting on d. He and Juolevi sheltered on the bottom pair, for instance, wouldn't be a terrible way to ease a rookie into the lineup.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
So is he written off?
Could be brought back at the minimum, 700 000$, as he got no contract and seemingly no askers.

Crabe

Jul 28, 2011
If the price is right I'd take him back right now and here's why. Right now we have five NHL defensemen signed including Benn. Each of Rathbone, Juolevi, and Rafferty might make the team, but they likely won't all make the roster out of camp no matter how good they are, because it doesn't make sense for developing players to spend a significant amount of time in the press box as our #7/8 when they could be actually playing games in the AHL. Ideally two of the kids make the roster and the other is the top call up. You need extra defenders but you don't want to put a developing player about in that role. This is exactly what you sign depth defensemen like Fanta for. As has been pointed out he is low event e.g. does not take stupid penalties, buys into the system and has done whatever we've asked him to do. He is a stabilizing presence on the bottom pairing and he's physical too. Aaron Rome is a decent comparison.

Reactions: garbageteam

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I would have no problem resigning Fantenberg as a depth defenseman. I thought he played pretty well, more notably down the strech. I think Fantenberg brings what Benn was supposed to, for much cheaper.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
No problen with resigning Fanta but he should battle it out with Benn for the third LD spot. Instead, moving Benn to the right side would mean we have only one right shooting D, which as we saw with Vegas last year can limit options, especially on special teams.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
His straight-line skating might be comparable but his pivoting and footwork is nowhere near Edler or especially Tanev.

And yes, he does suck at something - transitioning the puck. His puck skills are barely better than Gudbranson-level and at the very bottom end for NHL defenders.

He's a #7-8 guy you can plug into a 3rd pairing and who won't hurt you with glaring defensive mistakes, although the pairing he's on will usually have possession tilted against it.
Straight line Tanev blows Famta's doors off.

Tamev is deceptively fast. May slow down now as he ages, but still faster than Fanta for now.

Reactions: mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad