Player Discussion What do we have in Oscar Fantenberg?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Definitely a solid seventh d-man, and probably an upgrade over Biega....but I really liked the Bulldog's game. Obviously doesn't hurt you much when he is inserted into the lineup. Can't argue with Fantenberg as a decent depth signing by the Canucks.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
It seems alot of fans on this board want to keep him and scratch somebody else when Edler is back. Yes, no? And for who? Myers? :sarcasm:

Fantenberg has been very solid. I'd take out either Stecher or Benn when Edler comes back

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
He's been really solid. As a compliment, I barely notice him sometimes. Just seems to be in the right place at the right time, makes the right reads and generally makes the correct pass. Very few gaffes thus far.

Reactions: dwarf and 420Canuck

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Id be seriously considering a multi year extension for him if this keeps up. 2 or 3 x $1m for decent size, simple game. People went hard Gaga for Schenn last year but Fantenberg is actually getting good results.

he’s a keeper for me.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Solid but limited game. Like his willingness to get stuck in and is keeping the plays simple yet effective.

I would let Benn sit for a couple if the last stretch of games continue before Edler comes back.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Jimbo had just disciplined himself over the years to sign depth d-men like Fantenberg in trades or free agency, he'd be way ahead of the game. These are the kinds of players you should be targeting instead of guys like Myers and Gudbranson

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
He’s been surprisingly good, solid player.

I don't know why people are surprised. Calgary fans didn't like losing him and liked him as a player and their defence was/is way better. It was hilarious at the start of the year when everyone was crying that Biega was way better. Skating is literally the only attribute that is better than Fantenberg

GoldyNuck

Mar 7, 2017
I have definitely liked him better than Benn since he has come into the lineup. I would easily prefer him over Benn or Stecher once Edler returns (which is soon). Tbh I think with Edler returning soon, Leivo out for (effectively) the season, and his underutilization in a contract year, I could easily see us shipping out Stecher for some sort of top-six help, which we desperately need anyways.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know why people are surprised. Calgary fans didn't like losing him and liked him as a player and their defence was/is way better. It was hilarious at the start of the year when everyone was crying that Biega was way better. Skating is literally the only attribute that is better than Fantenberg
I think the reason people are a little shocked has a lot to do with some of slugs that Jimbo has signed as depth d-men over the years. The names of guys like Del Zotto; Weircioch; Pouliot and Larsen come to mind immediately. But I'm sure there's been others that didn't last.

But I guess you can't lose 'em all. Fantenberg might be a bit of a 'late bloomer', which isn't uncommon for Swedish d-men.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Gudbranson, Del Zotto, and Sbisa seem to be doing alright with their respective teams.

I think when Edler comes back, Benn should get a seat.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I have definitely liked him better than Benn since he has come into the lineup. I would easily prefer him over Benn or Stecher once Edler returns (which is soon). Tbh I think with Edler returning soon, Leivo out for (effectively) the season, and his underutilization in a contract year, I could easily see us shipping out Stecher for some sort of top-six help, which we desperately need anyways.

i dont think stetcher has any value hes not very good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->