Player Discussion What do we have in Oscar Fantenberg?

WestCoastFinnie

Oct 20, 2018
Hot Fants
oscar-fantenberg-2020-39.jpg

Absolute model

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Fantanberg is better than Benn.

When Benn shoots the puck, the term "low percentage shot" would be giving him too much credit. In comparison, Fantanbergs direct, more deliberate play in the O-zone is 1000x better.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Fantenberg played his role well this year and leap frogged Benn on the depth chart (deservedly so). Didn’t expect him to be such a physical, reliable player.

All that said, can’t see him being brought back. Benn will be the 7th man, and I think Rathbone will be given every chance to crack the top six d-pairings this coming season.

Reactions: NomadicCanadian

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Wouldn't want him as anything other than a dirt-cheap 8D.

He's decent enough at preventing goals, but can't actually do anything else on the ice. Players like this being exhausted and hemmed in our own zone are why we could never generate consistent pressure against Vegas.

Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He's better than Benn. Solid 7-8D that played way above his paygrade. Looked like a 5-6D at times in the playoffs. If he wants a cheap deal again to stick with the boys, he's 100% worth the money over Benn. But we do have a glut of young D coming so I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't retained.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Wouldn't want him as anything other than a dirt-cheap 8D.

He's decent enough at preventing goals, but can't actually do anything else on the ice. Players like this being exhausted and hemmed in our own zone are why we could never generate consistent pressure against Vegas.
Basically what I think. If the Canucks have Fantenberg starting on the third pairing next season then they're in deep trouble.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
Fantenberg played his role well this year and leap frogged Benn on the depth chart (deservedly so). Didn’t expect him to be such a physical, reliable player.

All that said, can’t see him being brought back. Benn will be the 7th man, and I think Rathbone will be given every chance to crack the top six d-pairings this coming season.

I really agree with this. He admirably served his role, proved himself a solid player at a good price, and has probably earned his place somewhere in the league with another team.

Given the upcoming roster crunch though, we absolutely need to find out what we have in Rathbone and Juolevi. I really really want to see these two fighting it out constantly for that bottom pairing slot. One of them has to break out if we are going to have any hope of an internal replacement on the left side for Edler down the road.

Reactions: calnuck

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
One way to separate NHL defensemen is to recognize there are some that help you win and others help you not lose. Fantenburg is in the second class obviously. This makes him better than a defenseman in a third category - those that cause you to lose (like say Pouliot). Fantenburg, cheap and in a support role, has been decent enough to get a contract if, in fact, the Canucks have enough cap space to sign him.

Reactions: LiveeviL

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
If you can bring him back on the same deal he got this season as a 7th D Man then do it, if he wants a raise > $1m then let him walk, he's dime a dozen in the NHL

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He's better than Benn. Solid 7-8D that played way above his paygrade. Looked like a 5-6D at times in the playoffs. If he wants a cheap deal again to stick with the boys, he's 100% worth the money over Benn. But we do have a glut of young D coming so I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't retained.
Basically this. Kinda too bad for him, he should have had Benns contract and Benn had Fantenburgs. But thats not what happend and we have Rathbone and Juolevi coming up next season so probably goodbye Oscar

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fantenberg played a pretty solid first 10 games, then was absolute horse manure for the rest of the regular season. In the playoffs he was somewhere in the middle.

If he doesn’t want to come back for the same $800k he made last year, see ya later.

Reactions: vanuck and LiveeviL

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
One way to separate NHL defensemen is to recognize there are some that help you win and others help you not lose. Fantenburg is in the second class obviously. This makes him better than a defenseman in a third category - those that cause you to lose (like say Pouliot). Fantenburg, cheap and in a support role, has been decent enough to get a contract if, in fact, the Canucks have enough cap space to sign him.

Yes a bit like that.
He can fill a bottom pairing role. I do not know what people expect. A lot of D-men simply do not cut it, at all. Every D-man can't be meant for filling a top pairing role (and certainly not actually being a bone fide top pairing D-man). He is alright, good enough, keep looking for replacements higher up in the skill level and be content with this unexciting (for good and bad) player.

Reactions: orcatown

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He won't be a regular next year. Hughes Edler Juolevi will be the 3 D on the LS. I don't mind him as the 7th D

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I don't mind him as a #6-7, but only on the same cheap contract he signed.

Reactions: rypper

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
In a laundry list of 6 years of terrible defensemen acquired, Fantanberg stands out as someone who you just kind of say "Hey. he's not bad."

I'd bring him back on the same kind of deal, 1 year 850k maybe a little more but definitely not 1m.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In a laundry list of 6 years of terrible defensemen acquired, Fantanberg stands out as someone who you just kind of say "Hey. he's not bad."

I'd bring him back on the same kind of deal, 1 year 850k maybe a little more but definitely not 1m.
Fantenberg is an 'Aaron Rome' type of d-man. A decent d-man on a bad team, but a spare part on a good team. If the Canucks are determined to improve their blueline this off-season-- and how can they not be--then there was to be an upgrade on Fantenberg.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
He played well as he could as injury replacement, I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him at league minimum.

Should be a 7, not in thr starting 6

Reactions: rypper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->