Player Discussion What do we have in J.T. Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Don't worry everyone ... according to Benning's presser, Miller also scored very highly on his "mentor machine" and will almost certainly positively impact the development of all our young forwards. Thank gosh!

Lol. He makes it so easy.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He’ll likely get a big opportunity by playing a lot of minutes at ES and on the PP, assuming he plays mostly on a line centered by Pettersson or Horvat. I suspect he’ll do well in that role.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
If only we could have kept our pick and stayed in perpetual rebuild mode like the Oilers. Miller is a good player and based off the contracts being handed out he is on a good contract for the remainder of his prime years. If the Canucks can make the playoffs in only 1 of the next 2 years then this is a good trade. If not it could certainly bite us in the ass. Most likely it is a middling 1st rounder that would take 2~3 years to develop. Meaning it will be 3 or 5 years before the pick makes any significant impact. If at all. It is a risk but at some point you have to go for it.

As long as Hughes becomes close to the player we expect and Pettersson does not stagnate and become a 60 point player moving forward we should have a good chance at the playoffs in the next 2 years. Especially considering that a couple of the teams around us are regressing and just beginning rebuilds themselves I think the chances of playoff hockey in the next 2 years is quite good. One can certainly disagree with that but if we miss the next 2 years it means our core has stagnated or regressed. I just don't see it. Our best players are only going to improve over the next 2 seasons.

But as always. The sky is falling. This is such a neurotic fan base.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If only we could have kept our pick and stayed in perpetual rebuild mode like the Oilers. Miller is a good player and based off the contracts being handed out he is on a good contract for the remainder of his prime years. If the Canucks can make the playoffs in only 1 of the next 2 years then this is a good trade. If not it could certainly bite us in the ass. Most likely it is a middling 1st rounder that would take 2~3 years to develop. Meaning it will be 3 or 5 years before the pick makes any significant impact. If at all. It is a risk but at some point you have to go for it.

As long as Hughes becomes close to the player we expect and Pettersson does not stagnate and become a 60 point player moving forward we should have a good chance at the playoffs in the next 2 years. Especially considering that a couple of the teams around us are regressing and just beginning rebuilds themselves I think the chances of playoff hockey in the next 2 years is quite good. One can certainly disagree with that but if we miss the next 2 years it means our core has stagnated or regressed. I just don't see it. Our best players are only going to improve over the next 2 seasons.

Wait, you're expecting the western conference to get worse?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Or our 1st is an asset that could have been much better spent fixing our lousy defense instead of acquiring a complementary middle 6 winger. And now it’s gone and our defense is still a mess.

Not everyone who doesn’t like the trade wants to rebuild forever.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Wait, you're expecting the western conference to get worse?

I am expecting the Pacific to get worse. Yes. LA, Anaheim, Edmonton are not getting any better. Arizona could go either way and even a team like SJ could be in for a severe drop off as they are aging fast and if EK does not stay healthy I could see a massive drop from them. Even Calgary is a wild card with suspect goaltending and a Norris trophy winner that will be hard pressed to duplicate his season at 36 years old.

In the Central teams like Chicago, Minnesota and even Winnipeg could be in for down years in the next 2 seasons. It is not out of the realm of possibility that the Canucks make a run. Try to get a decent Dman through trade or FA and perhaps the return of Tryamkin (possibly even Pods) in a year to go along with natural progression of our young core and I like our chances.

Certainly enough silver lining to avoid the typical HFCanuck meltdown. If we are still out of the playoffs in 2 years this team will have to be torn down again anyways as it will obviously still not be good enough. At which time losing that 1st will be painful but likely not going to change our fortunes anyway.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Or our 1st is an asset that could have been much better spent fixing our lousy defense instead of acquiring a complementary middle 6 winger. And now it’s gone and our defense is still a mess.

Not everyone who doesn’t like the trade wants to rebuild forever.

I am not saying people cannot dislike this trade. I am simply saying it is not a loss from day one. It will have to play out before we know whether it was worth it. We got a positive asset today for an unfixed price in the future. I just know some will bring this trade up in every freaking post for the next several years. It is tiring and pointless.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
A legit 2nd line winger, an inconsistent/streaky player, is good for around 50 points when given consistent top 6/PP usage.

A welcome sight for Bo Horvat who’s been stuck playing with 3rd liners

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We need Pearson to continue his play from last season to this season. Baertschi when he is healthy, is a quality winger for Pettersson or Horvat. With Miller added, we have 4 top 6 wingers when they are healthy. This team can be a playoff team with that forward group.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I understand if some people don't like that we gave up a 1st for him but I'm really curious as to why some people think he has a bad contract.

55 points / 82 games over his last 3 seasons makes him a legit 2nd liner. 5.25M for a legit 2nd player (signed through the remainder of his prime but not into his old age) seems fair at worst...

Tell me I'm wrong?

Reactions: Nucker101

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I understand if some people don't like that we gave up a 1st for him but I'm really curious as to why some people think he has a bad contract.

55 points / 82 games over his last 3 seasons makes him a legit 2nd liner. 5.25M for a legit 2nd player (signed through the remainder of his prime but not into his old age) seems fair at worst...

Tell me I'm wrong?

You're not wrong. People are just upset about losing the first round pick and it's clouded their ability to look at things reasonably. He was also pretty much buried last season averaging just 14 mins/game. He's really a brilliant target, it was just stupid of them to trade their 1st.

It's something Benning has done before in correctly identifying a very good buy low candidate but then not buying low for some reason.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I am not saying people cannot dislike this trade. I am simply saying it is not a loss from day one. It will have to play out before we know whether it was worth it. We got a positive asset today for an unfixed price in the future. I just know some will bring this trade up in every freaking post for the next several years. It is tiring and pointless.

They will bring it up because it has significant ramifications for the next several years. This isn’t tossing a late 2nd at Linden Vey.

Reactions: Hit the post

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
We need Pearson to continue his play from last season to this season. Baertschi when he is healthy, is a quality winger for Pettersson or Horvat. With Miller added, we have 4 top 6 wingers when they are healthy. This team can be a playoff team with that forward group.

Florida missed with a *much* better forward group than that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Apparently the complaint about him is that he's an 'in and outer'. Goes quiet offensively for stretches of the season and was a healthy scratch by the Bolts in key games down the stretch and into the playoffs. Sounds like a slightly younger and cheaper version of Louie Eriksson to me.

Obviously the Lightning wanted to unload his $5.5m cap-hit for four more seasons. And getting a first rounder back for him was a huge bonus. I guess from the Canucks perspective, they managed to acquire this guy without giving up any prospects or players on their current roster. And 2021 does seem like a long ways away.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Apparently the complaint about him is that he's an 'in and outer'. Goes quiet offensively for stretches of the season and was a healthy scratch by the Bolts in key games down the stretch and into the playoffs. Sounds like a slightly younger and cheaper version of Louie Eriksson to me.

Obviously the Lightning wanted to unload his $5.5m cap-hit for four more seasons. And getting a first rounder back for him was a huge bonus. I guess from the Canucks perspective, they managed to acquire this guy without giving up any prospects or players on their current roster. And 2021 does seem like a long ways away.
Young Eriksson was a Selke level
All star....

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Sure. But can we at least wait to see what those ramifications are before melting down like a snowflake in the summer? There is still a chance that this trade becomes a steal for the Canucks. We make the playoffs just one of those years and TB gets a player that has an equal chance to never play meaningful games in the NHL. The sky is falling mentality is draining. Worry for the sake of worry. Faux rage for the sake of rage. No wonder people are so bloodly hostile these days. Over reaction after over reaction.
Seems like somebody is over reacting to the overreacting.:sarcasm:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sure. But can we at least wait to see what those ramifications are before melting down like a snowflake in the summer? There is still a chance that this trade becomes a steal for the Canucks. We make the playoffs just one of those years and TB gets a player that has an equal chance to never play meaningful games in the NHL. The sky is falling mentality is draining. Worry for the sake of worry. Faux rage for the sake of rage. No wonder people are so bloodly hostile these days. Over reaction after over reaction.

Honesty you viewing people’s legitimate reactions as “sky is falling” and “melting snowflakes” is much more draining. People are under no obligation to “wait and see” on a move made by the same GM that has brought us Loui Eriksson, Erik Gudbranson, Brandon Sutter, Brandon Prust, and a seas of Granlunds.

You want to give him a fresh start and the benefit of the doubt on every transaction? Cool, go ahead. But don’t be a condescending prick to those whose memories stretch back further than yesterday’s draft picks. Maybe Podkolzin turns into a dud too, but i’m going to give the move a thumbs up today because that is how i see the move right now. Things can change and opinions can change too, but you can’t ask people to stifle their opinions cause it doesn’t jive with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad