Player Discussion What do we have in J.T. Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I know emotions are running high about the trade right now but I did some digging and it looks like Miller is a stud player.

On Tampa last season he was their 5th best point producing forward (8th best goal-scoring forward) while playing the 9th most minutes. He was getting good PP TOI per game, likely a second unit staple, and scored 4 PP goals (5th among forwards) and 20 points (4th among forwards) which suggests that he'll help our PP units. He didn't PK last season but he does throw hits, take face-offs, and play fairly penalty-free hockey.

We could have targeted far worse than a versatile top-6 guy who can play all positions and produce above what his minutes suggest he should from down the line-up.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I know emotions are running high about the trade right now but I did some digging and it looks like Miller is a stud player.

On Tampa last season he was their 5th best point producing forward (8th best goal-scoring forward) while playing the 9th most minutes. He was getting good PP TOI per game, likely a second unit staple, and scored 4 PP goals (5th among forwards) and 20 points (4th among forwards) which suggests that he'll help our PP units. He didn't PK last season but he does throw hits, take face-offs, and play fairly penalty-free hockey.

We could have targeted far worse than a versatile top-6 guy who can play all positions and produce above what his minutes suggest he should from down the line-up.
Decent player but horribly overpriced

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I do like JT Miller. Would be interested to see which line he ends up on (Horvat’s or EP’s). My guess is he’ll bounce between the two. Would definitely add some balance to our top 6 if we play him with Bo and would give him a legit winger to play with.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Travis Green was on the NHL network broadcast and hinted at Miller playing with Pettersson and Boeser. Said they’ve been looking for someone to play with them. Likely JT will bounce around the lineup as he can play all three positions though.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
His speed, physicality, and puck retrieval could complement our top 6 well. At least i hope if he is as advertised.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I have no doubt that he'll come out the gate strong. After the trade to TB; he put up 18pts in 19 games.

Then the start of last season (while also getting very favorable linemates) started the season well. But ended the season as a 4th liner.

Miller is as streaky as they come; and more importantly, has had rumors of coaches finding him 'stubborn' and watching his production dwindle. Streaky, stubborn, and selfish are adjectives you'll see around his play.

JT Miller's inclusion in the McDonagh trade was more anger towards what Ranger fans perceived to be Miller's trade value (thought someone would paid a late 1st); opposed to his importance to the team. Seeing what Benning just paid, proves that there are people out there as GMs that value his numbers more than the player you are receiving.

In terms of personality, a player like Kesler was an a**hole but would do anything to have his team win; Miller is just generally an a**hole.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With TB 65 points in 94 games. Prorated to a .67 ppg so would be 57 over 82 games.

With NYR, in the last 3 years where he didn’t spend a game in the A he put up 139 points in 227 games so a touch under 2/3 ppg. So closer to a 54 point pace. And those nYR years the scoring was not as high. Those rangers years the top 20 in league scoring only had over 70 points.

He’s a solid 2- way player. Complementary guy.

Risk is that you don’t know what his final cost is. Say they make the playoffs and using this year as a barometer you have the likes of Newhook, Krebs, Harley, Heinola, Bjornfort from picks 16-20. That’s about fair cause there will always be a guy or two who fall a touch like Newhook due to position need at C or D.

Now if you’re talking a pick between 8-13 that’s much harder to stomach like Calgary had to when they moved Haminic out and watched NYI draft Dobson.

Dissonance Jr

Oct 6, 2017
He’s probably the best player Benning has traded for in his time here (or at least up there with Bonino). Nice versatile winger who should easily put up 50+ points alongside Horvat or Pettersson. And is on a solid contract.

Not the type of guy you trade away a potential lottery pick for, though. This trade *might* work out in our favor if we make the playoffs next year, but it’s just an insanely reckless gamble.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think we have a legit top 6 winger whose 26yrs old signed to a cap friendly contract with term. Not a fan of the price but that is beside the point. He should slot nicely into the top 6. We're a better team today than we were yesterday.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I think we have a legit top 6 winger whose 26yrs old signed to a cap friendly contract with term. Not a fan of the price but that is beside the point. He should slot nicely into the top 6. We're a better team today than we were yesterday.

Issue I have is we have replaced a Baertschi in the top 6 with someone who will get similar points.

D-core is still a mess and now we have less to work with to change that.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Good play driver, especially in transition, that's more of a complimentary playmaker offensively (very good distribution stats). Likely ideally plays 15-18 minutes per night. A guy you can deploy on the PP, but hasn't played much in the way of PK minutes. Could likely have gotten a comparable winger in free agency, though the salary might have been marginally higher.

I also would have checked in to other trade options (for example, what would the Kings want for Tyler Toffoli).

Reactions: JuniorNelson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad