Player Discussion What do we have in J.T. Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Solid player but a brutal price to pay. Look at Tampa's forwards, they have Kucherov, Stamkos, Point on top making the big bucks (soon for Point), then Johnson, Palat, Gourde, Miller, and Killorn all making 2nd line money, then Cirelli, Erne, and Jospeh pushing up on ELC's. With so many players it's not a surprise he got lost in the shuffle in Tampa, but the key point is they had to move someone from the middle group to clear salary for Point, and with their depth and ability to draft and develop Tampa wasn't going to miss whoever they traded one damn bit.

Miller should do much better for us than say Gudbranson dead but we're always going to be looking at that price of admission, like if we were willing to trade this pick we should have gotten much better.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Good play driver, especially in transition, that's more of a complimentary playmaker offensively (very good distribution stats). Likely ideally plays 15-18 minutes per night. A guy you can deploy on the PP, but hasn't played much in the way of PK minutes. Could likely have gotten a comparable winger in free agency, though the salary might have been marginally higher.

I also would have checked in to other trade options (for example, what would the Kings want for Tyler Toffoli).
I feel like the price on Toffoli would have been even worse.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
jesus guys.....the thread was to talk about the player not the price we paid. Everyone realizes this was an unnecessary gamble on Bennings part that reaks or desperation.

Heavy versatile player. Gives us some much needed flexibilty in the top3 lines
Can really move and is similar to Horvat without as good a shot
Should compliment our top6 perfectly especially if he can learn to be defer and go to the net and furiously attack garbage
IQ has been questioned and his ability to snipe is a bit concerning.
Should fit in well with the team.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Issue I have is we have replaced a Baertschi in the top 6 with someone who will get similar points.

D-core is still a mess and now we have less to work with to change that.

Not arguing the D state but I put Miller as better player than Baertschi. No question about that in my opinion. Let's wait and see how the off season plays out. I like Miller and feel at his age and contract he was a good get. We still have lots of time to improve the D.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He’s a decent player. A good complimentary piece. That’s what can be said about him
as a player....ignoring the price paid.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Public Enemy #1 probably. For fans at least, he's going to wear the burden of that trade around his neck from the day he arrives in Vancouver.

Realistically, i think we've got a decent complementary Top-9 winger who will bring a nice element of speed and some bite to either of Bo or more likely Pete's line. Should be in a good position to take on a bigger role than he was relegated to in Tampa, and register some decent point totals. That is something we sorely needed.

The cap hit isn't great, but it's not terrible either and it does provide an element of cost certainty in an environment where salaries for 50-60pt players seem to be continually climbing to unreasonable heights. If he can continue to be a 50-60pt winger with some bite, that cap number could end up looking pretty good in a year or two.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Public Enemy #1 probably. For fans at least, he's going to wear the burden of that trade around his neck from the day he arrives in Vancouver.

Realistically, i think we've got a decent complementary Top-9 winger who will bring a nice element of speed and some bite to either of Bo or more likely Pete's line. Should be in a good position to take on a bigger role than he was relegated to in Tampa, and register some decent point totals. That is something we sorely needed.

The cap hit isn't great, but it's not terrible either and it does provide an element of cost certainty in an environment where salaries for 50-60pt players seem to be continually climbing to unreasonable heights. If he can continue to be a 50-60pt winger with some bite, that cap number could end up looking pretty good in a year or two.
Sounds like a bit more offensively skilled Higgins (at his peak as a Canuck)

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Overpaid for him. The asking price of other players must've been higher. I assume we are going to be moving some other assets to replenish our draft picks. Sutter likely on his way out, he probably can fetch a 2nd or 3rd.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He’s a decent player. A good complimentary piece. That’s what can be said about him
as a player....ignoring the price paid.

He seems more than decent offensively even if he doesn't score many goals. He's tied for 108th in point production among forwards while playing the 221st most minutes. He does get a lot of his production on the PP with 20 points this past season and 18 last season, but his best season only saw him put up 7 on the PP so he's not just a PP wonder when given proper top line minutes. He's a real offensive Swiss army knife in terms of producing in limited minutes and limited chances.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Overpaid for him. The asking price of other players must've been higher. I assume we are going to be moving some other assets to replenish our draft picks. Sutter likely on his way out, he probably can fetch a 2nd or 3rd.
Have too many of those guys. Hope this also means we are out of the ferland race.

Too 9 seems set with Petey, JT, Brock then Bo, Pearson, Sven, with Gaudette with Leivo and Virtanen. Leaves Beagle with Roussell and likely Motte.

Leaves Sutter in what do you do with him land? Spooner and. Schaller possible buyouts or expensive depth (that’s how Aquaman is spending some money), and Eriksson isn compete limbo.

That’s 16 forwards cause I’m expect Leivo to at least go to arbitration since he’s a year out.

Miller fits in fine. Expectation for him should be 55 point production based on the past 4 seasons.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Haven't really seen a lot of TB playing...but reading from posters (other than VAN or TBL),he seems very well regarded.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
He seems more than decent offensively even if he doesn't score many goals. He's tied for 108th in point production among forwards while playing the 221st most minutes. He does get a lot of his production on the PP with 20 points this past season and 18 last season, but his best season only saw him put up 7 on the PP so he's not just a PP wonder when given proper top line minutes. He's a real offensive Swiss army knife in terms of producing in limited minutes and limited chances.
What about with limited skilled line-mates when the inevitable injuries hit and Pettersson/Boeser isn't on the ice to work with?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I've been a pick fan of Miller's since we made the pick. At the time we thought we were getting an upgraded Dubinsky in a 3rd-line center who'd be a pain to play against and throw his weight around, the question was whether the offensive instincts were there.
Miller made the NHL to early due to cap/depth issues (we had no centers after sending Anismov and Dubinsky for Nash), but he showed that willingness to battle for pucks and play an 'energy' game. He showed a higher than anticipated (for me at least) ability to pass the puck and quickly became a very useful complimentary scorer.
For some reason, whether instruction or natural evolution, the grind/toughness parts of his game seemed to disappear and he focused mainly on being a middle-6 scorer (or a 3rd wheel on the top line). He an AV seemed to have a mutual no-respect thing going on for his last few seasons in New York and at times he looked like he really didn't want to be on the ice.

He's got a good shot from the hash-marks in but he doesn't use it enough, and his passing is really good/creative. He's sound defensively but it's like he has to actively think about what he's doing back there, and if he doesn't/relies on instinct it can a bit messy as he'll lose position or miss an assignment. He also has a tendency to force a really stupid D-zone pass that leads to turnovers.
How he goes as a Canuck will probably come down to whether he actually has the tool-box that complements his tools. At this point in his career he needs to determine what kind of player he wants to be, so hopefully you guys have a coaching group and locker-room presence that can get the best out of him.
You should be getting a 45-55 pt middle 6 winger (he can play center but put him on the wing for best results), the question will be whether he gets those points while driving you crazy, or whether everything clicks and he gets closer to 60.
FWIW, I don't think you really overpaid as long as the 2021 pick is at 14+

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Don't worry everyone ... according to Benning's presser, Miller also scored very highly on his "mentor machine" and will almost certainly positively impact the development of all our young forwards. Thank gosh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad