What do we do with Holland? And Reimer?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'd rather just keep Reimer if that's what we're looking at. The market is pretty bad for starting goalies right now, probably best to wait it out.

i agree, considering reimer is an rfa he doesnt have too much of a leg to stand on. i recognize that there is precedent for gms letting assets go for cheap as a favour to the player but those examples are generally only done by contending teams with depth.

the leafs are not in a position to give away assets. they also have no depth after reimer. if nonis is able to get value for reimer then i think he would move him and find a veteran backup but if the trade wont benefit the leafs i dont see him moving him.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
i agree, considering reimer is an rfa he doesnt have too much of a leg to stand on. i recognize that there is precedent for gms letting assets go for cheap as a favour to the player but those examples are generally only done by contending teams with depth.

the leafs are not in a position to give away assets. they also have no depth after reimer. if nonis is able to get value for reimer then i think he would move him and find a veteran backup but if the trade wont benefit the leafs i dont see him moving him.

It makes more sense to hold onto him through the playoffs. He's not a UFA, so we won't lose him for nothing. It's a lot easier to find a backup then, than it is to find one right now. Plus if he gets playing time in the playoffs, it only improves his value.

If he gets offer sheeted, it's likely for more than the 2nd round compensation level. If it's 2nd round, we probably match since having Bernier and Reimer combine for less than 6 million is hardly an issue.

And really, he'll have value. At least equal to, if not more than Bernier. Bernier had no playoff experience, had never played more than 25 games in a season (and only played higher than 16 games once), and hadn't played as a starter. Reimer has done all of those things.

Reimer will have value, guaranteed. He's young, cost controlled and a better option for teams wanting a long term goalie option than going after an injury prone Halak/Backstrom/Hiller, or the likely aging and expensive Miller.

He'll likely get between what Schneider and Bernier/Bobrovsky received. Nonis won't give him away. And if he can't get value, he'll be resigned for a fair amount giving us a young backup who is capable of stepping into the starters role if Bernier falters or gets injured. It's really a no-lose scenario.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Paying Reimer 3+ million also means less money for other areas of the roster.

We can simply sign a high end backup this off-season for a lot less to backup Bernier whether it be Scrivens, Dubnyk, Bryz, Khudobin, Montoya, Emery, Elliott, Giggy and have more money to give the goaltenders a better team to support them.

Scrivens won't come cheap this offseason after his season. He'll be as expensive or more than Reimer will. Same with Khudobin. And of the rest, only Montoya is actually a decent goalie.

Reimer is going to stay. No reason to move him unless the team gets good value for him. Signing him for 2.5-3.2 is hardly a big deal, especially with the cap going up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There is certainly no rush to move either Player at this point.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
It makes more sense to hold onto him through the playoffs. He's not a UFA, so we won't lose him for nothing. It's a lot easier to find a backup then, than it is to find one right now. Plus if he gets playing time in the playoffs, it only improves his value.

If he gets offer sheeted, it's likely for more than the 2nd round compensation level. If it's 2nd round, we probably match since having Bernier and Reimer combine for less than 6 million is hardly an issue.

And really, he'll have value. At least equal to, if not more than Bernier. Bernier had no playoff experience, had never played more than 25 games in a season (and only played higher than 16 games once), and hadn't played as a starter. Reimer has done all of those things.

Reimer will have value, guaranteed. He's young, cost controlled and a better option for teams wanting a long term goalie option than going after an injury prone Halak/Backstrom/Hiller, or the likely aging and expensive Miller.

He'll likely get between what Schneider and Bernier/Bobrovsky received. Nonis won't give him away. And if he can't get value, he'll be resigned for a fair amount giving us a young backup who is capable of stepping into the starters role if Bernier falters or gets injured. It's really a no-lose scenario.

schneider got the 9th overall pick. i would be absolutely SHOCKED if nonis could get a top 10 pick for reimer.

bernier should be used to gauge value as he was basically given away. either way the best part of the bernier return was the 2nd round pick. a dime a dozen 3rd line young player and a an proven backup goalie whose greatest value at the time was his price is a pretty crap return.

i could actually see beriner getting offer sheet as the compensation would be ~2 round pick. the value would suck but there is no use in overpaying for a backup goalie.

the reimer situation does have a clock ticking though. this summer he is an rfa but im not sure if he has one or two years left until he is a ufa. imo the best case scenario would be for nonis to resign him at a reasonable cap hit that will take him to free agency and at that time both parties walk away on good terms.

contending teams dont need reimer and teams below us in the standings are not/ should not part with valuable assets to acquire reimer. nonis wont give him away so the most likely outcome will be he will just stick around until he becomes a free agent.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
schneider got the 9th overall pick. i would be absolutely SHOCKED if nonis could get a top 10 pick for reimer.

bernier should be used to gauge value as he was basically given away. either way the best part of the bernier return was the 2nd round pick. a dime a dozen 3rd line young player and a an proven backup goalie whose greatest value at the time was his price is a pretty crap return.

i could actually see beriner getting offer sheet as the compensation would be ~2 round pick. the value would suck but there is no use in overpaying for a backup goalie.

the reimer situation does have a clock ticking though. this summer he is an rfa but im not sure if he has one or two years left until he is a ufa. imo the best case scenario would be for nonis to resign him at a reasonable cap hit that will take him to free agency and at that time both parties walk away on good terms.

contending teams dont need reimer and teams below us in the standings are not/ should not part with valuable assets to acquire reimer. nonis wont give him away so the most likely outcome will be he will just stick around until he becomes a free agent.

Hence why I said between...

Paying Bernier and Reimer a combined 6 million really isn't an issue to me. I fail to see why it bothers so many people. That's about league average for two goaltenders and together it's a better than average tandem. Besides, I doubt Reimer gets paid more than Bernier anyways. At most he gets an identical deal of 2.9 million a year for two years. Gives him value in a trade, but lets him reach UFA status if he doesn't get traded.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Paying Bernier and Reimer a combined 6 million really isn't an issue to me. I fail to see why it bothers so many people. That's about league average for two goaltenders and together it's a better than average tandem. Besides, I doubt Reimer gets paid more than Bernier anyways. At most he gets an identical deal of 2.9 million a year for two years. Gives him value in a trade, but lets him reach UFA status if he doesn't get traded.

i don't think there is going to be an issue of us keeping him - I think the issue is can Reimer handle being the backup?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Ya i don't get why so many people get so hung up on the money. There are people employed by MLSE whose job is to make sure everything works under the cap, it shouldn't be our place to worry about it.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay

it in no way would bother me to see Reimer retained at a reasonable salary. He doesn't have the type of personality to rock the boat, IMO. Plus he has proven he isn't a nervous wreck in the playoff. Eventually though on of the two has to move or be lost for nothing. Wpg and to a lesser extent CGY make sense to me, it just would depend on the type of return either might be willing to give up? we might be able to do a package to the Flames in our favor as Burke has a habit of acquiring former players.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What do we do? Nothing Brian.

Colborne for a 4th rounder? We don't give up Reimer as Bernier has zero playoffs experience and we dont give up Holland after paying so much. IN short,we do nothing,what we should have always done. Kurvers for Niedermayer,Steen,Rask and on and on....bye.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

The problem with paying Reimer 3 million is when in a years time you have to give Bernier a raise, leaving you with a 3 million dollar backup and Bernier wanting much more than what Reimer got.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
The problem with paying Reimer 3 million is when in a years time you have to give Bernier a raise, leaving you with a 3 million dollar backup and Bernier wanting much more than what Reimer got.

And with the cap almost assuredly rising, a 3 million dollar backup is worth what a 2 million dollar backup is now. And Reimer's still better than the league average backup, much better. It's not really an issue at all. Bernier is going to want more anyways, so who cares?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
And with the cap almost assuredly rising, a 3 million dollar backup is worth what a 2 million dollar backup is now . And Reimer's still better than the league average backup, much better. It's not really an issue at all. Bernier is going to want more anyways, so who cares?

Only if the cap goes up 50%

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Bernier has 2 years left on his deal. We're a long ways away from this being a problem.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And with the cap almost assuredly rising, a 3 million dollar backup is worth what a 2 million dollar backup is now. And Reimer's still better than the league average backup, much better. It's not really an issue at all. Bernier is going to want more anyways, so who cares?

I don't think you will see Reimer's next RFA contract > Bernier.

Only if Reimer were traded could his new teams salary exceed Bernier because then likely he would move from backup to stater role.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Your numbers do not make sence, the cap is not going up by 33%, the difference impact should not be 33%.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

It's not considering the cap will only be raise by a few million, and when you're in a cap crunch it obviously matters. Reimer's raise could be the difference between keeping Kulemin or Bolland.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Bernier has 2 years left on his deal. We're a long ways away from this being a problem.

bernier is only signed for 1 more season after this (next season). someone was talking on the radio, i cant remember if it was dreger or kypreos, one of those guys basically saying that berniers next contract will probably be in and around what varlymov got (5 years x $5.9 million).

if reimer is extended as a leaf i think it would be in the $2 million range. he is probably only going to play 30 games this season. $2 million itself isnt the problem but if added to $5.5-6 million it becomes almost $8 million in net which will be a problem unless reimer only extends for 1 season which would make him a ufa after i think.

i think the best course of action is to keep riemer for the playoffs and then see if he can be packaged with other parts to get something useful.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Holland I think is worth holding onto. We don't know what's happening with Bolland yet, how he'll be returning from injury and whether we can sign him after this season.

Holland might well get his spot if we decide not to keep Bolland.

Reimer is also the consummate team player, and I think the personal philosophies he has probably make it that he'll be happy being part of a good team and contributing to the overall team success than focus on personal objectives and personal glories.

I just don't see him sticking a wrnech into the cogs just to get #1 status. Besides, there's no team that's going to want to offer him that opportunity straight up. He'd have to compete in any market, and if that's the case better to do it in Toronto, where he's already comfortable.

If he thought he wasn't good enough to earn the number 1 here, he'd have to admit Bernier is better and I think that adds a degree of psychological detriment to how you see yourself as an athlete. You can have bad bounces and bad strings of luck, but once you start thinking you're not good enough to do something it becomes true.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's crazy to me how little people understand contact status.

JR has ZERO leverage in this negotiation. He had limited experience as a starter, and has now been out dueled for the starting job. This isn't Rask, there won't be 20 teams lining up to pay him in the $3million range. If someone wants to pay him that, great we get compensation for losing him

on the flip side I just can't see anyone giving up major assets to get him in a trade. There's no way he even gets what we have up for JB.

He will re-sign here for less than 2 million and be a good back up.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
It's crazy to me how little people understand contact status.

JR has ZERO leverage in this negotiation. He had limited experience as a starter, and has now been out dueled for the starting job. This isn't Rask, there won't be 20 teams lining up to pay him in the $3million range. If someone wants to pay him that, great we get compensation for losing him

on the flip side I just can't see anyone giving up major assets to get him in a trade. There's no way he even gets what we have up for JB.

He will re-sign here for less than 2 million and be a good back up.

Honestly, I'm not too familiar with RFA's and contract status, but can't an RFA file for arbitration? How does the judge determine the price of a goalie? Is it wins, save percentage, or some other stat?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I don't think Reimer is a good back-up. He just doesn't have the right attitude for it because he believes (and rightly so to an extent) that he's a starter and he obviously plays better when he plays on a regular basis.

I'd be much more comfortable with Bernier and an experienced back-up like a Giguere who would be an example of a guy with the right attitude for his accepted role.

Reimer didn't want this situation, and clearly isn't enthusiastic about his current outlook. Dude is probably praying for a trade. Good luck to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad