What do we do with Holland? And Reimer?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Keep Holland. We have Center prospects that are NHL ready. Bolland/Mclement are both UFAs who could leave in the off-season.

Anahiem simply had one of the best and deepest prospect pools with guys like Etem, Silfverberg, Palmeri, Smith-Pelley all in their 1st or 2nd year meaning they simply didn't have room to break in another young winger. It doesn't mean Holland couldn't be switched to the wing.

Reimer will simply be to expensive to a backup. Trade him in the off-season.

trading Reimer would be a mistake because if Bernier gets hurt, the Leafs would need to trade or sign a capable backup. It's good to have a good backup for any potential injuries and if the Leafs continue to allow 40 + shots per game, they will need 2 good goalies.

mikebel111*

trading Reimer would be a mistake because if Bernier gets hurt, the Leafs would need to trade or sign a capable backup. It's good to have a good backup for any potential injuries and if the Leafs continue to allow 40 + shots per game, they will need 2 good goalies.

Do you think reimer will be happy in a back up role?
Not a chance

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
holland roll wont be determined until nonis knows what is going on with bolland and mclemment.

i would be scared to go into next season with holland as the #3 center and smithson as the #4.

as for reimer, i personally think the leafs should extend him. there are a lot of ufa goalies who could be a backup but you are going to get what you pay for with them. at least we know what we have with reimer. if i was nonis i would try and getting reimer to sign a 2 year deal that will take him to free agency. at that point the leafs will know where they stand with bernier and reimer will be 27 and free to sign where he chooses.

to trade reimer as an unsigned rfa will bring back a minimal return imo. better to keep the player who is still useful imo.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I think they should go back to the 1A, 1B goalie format, where both goalies are considered the starters. They did that for almost 3 months and it was working, I'm not exactly sure of why they changed that. With the amount of shots the Leafs allow it would be better to have both goalies playing 41 games so neither gets injured or burned out.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think they should go back to the 1A, 1B goalie format, where both goalies are considered the starters. They did that for almost 3 months and it was working, I'm not exactly sure of why they changed that. With the amount of shots the Leafs allow it would be better to have both goalies playing 41 games so neither gets injured or burned out.

Bernier has been lights out, why exactly does reimer need games? No need to revert on that now, berny will get 90% of the starts from here on out and its going to be fine. The 2 goalie system showed us what both guys had after about the 40 game mark, berny had the far superior stats and has been dominant as of late, reimer is just waiting to be moved now imo

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Good chance the Pavelec's days are numbered in the 'Peg.

Reimer would be quite welcome there, and I know he'd love to play there as a starter.

Could be the basis for some trade, perhaps.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Bernier has been lights out, why exactly does reimer need games? No need to revert on that now, berny will get 90% of the starts from here on out and its going to be fine. The 2 goalie system showed us what both guys had after about the 40 game mark, berny had the far superior stats and has been dominant as of late, reimer is just waiting to be moved now imo

Bernier has been great on most nights, no question, but with the Leafs consistently allowing 40 shots/game, he'll tire and by playoff time his game will likely turn sour. With 2 competent goalies each playing half the games will allow enough rest for both goalies and allowing 40 shots/game won't be an issue.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Bernier has been great on most nights, no question, but with the Leafs consistently allowing 40 shots/game, he'll tire and by playoff time his game will likely turn sour. With 2 competent goalies each playing half the games will allow enough rest for both goalies and allowing 40 shots/game won't be an issue.

I tend to agree with this, and if he can take some of the pressure off Bernier at key times, he might boost his value a little at the same time.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011

starters dont play 44 games a year, they play 65 + a year, thats not a valid argument with only 20 games left. With 2 weeks off there's 0 % chance that he will be "tired" come april, especially considering that 10 guys have played more then he has already as well, in terms of being a starting goalie, hes only played an "average" amount of starts, hes not at the high end at all.

edit: I forgot to take into account the fact that high glove has been pulled 6 times, bernier is 17th in terms of games started, the "tired" argument is even more irrelevant now.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Paying Reimer 3+ million also means less money for other areas of the roster.

We can simply sign a high end backup this off-season for a lot less to backup Bernier whether it be Scrivens, Dubnyk, Bryz, Khudobin, Montoya, Emery, Elliott, Giggy and have more money to give the goaltenders a better team to support them.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Move Holland to the 3rd line as a winger. Trade Reimer. Don't re-sign Raymond. Sign a cheaper backup goalie for 1-2 Million depending on whose available.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
My prediction...Burke brings Reimer to Calgary in the offseason. He'll pay a fair price if he really believes in Reimer too. Winnipeg will try and get him for nothing

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Reimer to the Flames makes sense.

Reimer + Two of (Holzer/Biggs/Ross/MacWilliam/Broll/Devane) for Giordano

Not a RHD but a solid D regardless. Being a Toronto native I'm sure he'll waive his NTC this summer.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Reimer to the Flames makes sense.

Reimer + Two of (Holzer/Biggs/Ross/MacWilliam/Broll/Devane) for Giordano

Not a RHD but a solid D regardless. Being a Toronto native I'm sure he'll waive his NTC this summer.

If you put that proposal on the main boards you will get flamed pretty hard...

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Good chance the Pavelec's days are numbered in the 'Peg.

Reimer would be quite welcome there, and I know he'd love to play there as a starter.

Could be the basis for some trade, perhaps.

Pavlec has 3 more years left after this year at 3.9 per. Unless he is traded, Pavlec is going nowhere.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Gio is a #1 defencemen. Offering your backup goalie and a couple of "B" prospects is not going to make you any new friends

The main boards underrates Leafs plays and this boards overrates leafs players, I hope theres a day when we can find a median. The main board probably expects Rielly + for Giordano or Gardiner + Reimer + for Giordano.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad