What do the Caps need in order to get to the next level?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
ovechkins game is not built for the playoffs

That's what I'm starting to suspect..

He's not very fast anymore and depends more than ever on the PP to produce (and there are very few of them in the POs).

Ovechkin from 2005-2010 is/was an excellent playoff performer because he had the speed and power.

I think it's a similar story with Thornton. I don't think any of them is a playoff no-show per-se, just that their game is less of a difference maker in the playoffs (in Thornton's case, the guy just doesn't turn into a goal-scorer like Forsberg did when needed -- it's just not him).

Whoever thinks either one of them doesn't care is out to lunch. Thornton signed a bargain deal with the Sharks after winning the Hart, even though he could have held out for much more money.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That's what I'm starting to suspect..

He's not very fast anymore and depends more than ever on the PP to produce (and there are very few of them in the POs).

Ovechkin from 2005-2010 is/was an excellent playoff performer because he had the speed and power.

I think it's a similar story with Thornton. I don't think any of them is a playoff no-show per-se, just that their game is less of a difference maker in the playoffs (in Thornton's case, the guy just doesn't turn into a goal-scorer like Forsberg did when needed -- it's just not him).

Whoever thinks either one of them doesn't care is out to lunch. Thornton signed a bargain deal with the Sharks after winning the Hart, even though he could have held out for much more money.

Ovechkin has been a bondified choker ever since he's came into the league. With exception of playing from 06 to 2010. He's choked at every major tournament. Oh yea he did win a world championship bravo.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Sure, they could have not re-signed their core and let them go via free agency. I remember when Buffalo had a core who couldn't quite finish. They changed up the core. I don't think that worked out very well for them.

You know what does work out well? Tanking. Seems to be the theme of cup-winning teams. That tells me the ELC system is too favorable to teams of the top 1-2 picks.

I think Washington is the 2nd best team in the league. Pittsburgh's just the best.

Lolno. They barely squeaked by the Leafs. They got beaten by a team missing their top center, goalie, and Dman.

The Caps suck. Every good team in the league digs deep in April and May. The Caps don't have that extra gear.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Any and every person who has played hockey knows that this kind of guy, clowning around and desperately doing everything to stand out (man, are those yellow laces ridiculous) is probably not mister leadership.

Hockey is one of the last team sport where the collective spirit is still embraced by most of its members. You're supposed to blend in. And the true leaders make the light shine on others as much as themselves, and will only draw attention when someone has to take the blame.

Ovechkin ? He's still at the 17 year-old stage of skating in the opposite direction of his teammates on a lot of the goals he scores instead of celebrating with them.

It's not a crime. It doesn't make him a bad player. But captain of his team ? That tells you a lot about the state of this team mentally and character-wise. And it shows on the ice.

Yellow laces are worn because they are typically waxed (also Graf laces used to always be yellow). I don't think he wears these to be "different" they are actually pretty common. He DOES have many other uniform choices that you could point at as somewhat "unique" though.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
Oh I know
The Great 8 on the third line

you know instead of benching orpik and playing fake injured alzner and playing shattenkirk with a complimentary partner like schmidt from the get go.

and taking ovi off the point and pointing orlov on pp1 and ovie on the halfwall.

whatever so sick of the choke

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Trade their core for a grouple of players who have been past the 2nd round. Change their team name and logo. Problem solved.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
On paper, they seem to have it all... is it merely luck?

To be honest, the new playoffs format is terrible. The #1 and #2 seed should not be facing each other in round 2.

So if they played weaker teams first and then when they were battle weary, played good teams, that would be better?

They should be feasting on this opportunity right now.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Pretty sure Ovechkin is hurt. If he's not that last game was pathetic. I'm never betting on the Caps in the playoffs again man. They just aren't gonna get there.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
The game is as much mental as physical. Just as great teams create a dominant generational identity from winning (EDM, NYI, DET, NJ, PIT, CHI, etc.), teams can have a multi-generational identity from losing.

Is there an actual formula? Who knows. It's not like the Caps over the past 35 years have not iced dominant teams with many an all-star. The names may change, but the result stays the same. Impressive regular season streaks combined with heartbreaking playoff losses. The Caps, along with a few other teams like STL and VAN, simply have that stigma attached. It will remain that way until they are able to ice a team that can get over the mental hurdle.

In over 30 years of watching this team choke in the playoffs, I have never laid the blame anywhere but the team itself. Yes there have been bad breaks, terrible puck luck and questionable calls, but great teams push through that adversity. The Caps simply need "it", whatever or however you define what "it" is (skill, leadership, heart, coaching, etc.). That belief as a team that you can truly beat any opponent, then going out there and getting it done.

I simply have yet to see "it" show up when it matters the most......YMMV

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yellow laces are worn because they are typically waxed (also Graf laces used to always be yellow). I don't think he wears these to be "different" they are actually pretty common. He DOES have many other uniform choices that you could point at as somewhat "unique" though.

You can't be "somewhat" unique. You're either unique or you're not.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
never-before-seen-videos-show-nuclear-weapons-being-secretly-detonated-in-the-nevada-desert.jpg

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
What the Caps need to get to the next level is:

To not have to treat Crosby with kids gloves, the white glove treatment or whatever you call it.

So long as the Crosby circus and all that means yanks the chain the Capitals will be road blocked.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Ovechkin sure as hell played a terrible game 4. But he isn't a problem IMO.

Look at their D-core. Orpik leads all players in PO with worst +/-
Captain Kirk is horrible (yeah I know he scored an OT winner)
Holtby really can't stop a beach ball.
This are North American skaters. So how is this a flashy European players fault? Should Bakstrom play blue-line and Ovi be in goal?

What they need IMO is
1) Fire Trotz - he doesn't have answers if thing don't go according to the plan
2) Get rid of Orpik and don't even try to re-sign Kirk, find solid stay-at-home top-2 defender
3) Stop building the team around Ovie, he is a great player but he isn't center or D
4) Stop listening to the media, cuz they don't like the Caps
5) Start elevating the puck.
6) Stop paying attention to whiners and play physically against teams that obviously not build to play this way. Best example game 4, they should've be even more physical then before instead they looked scared to touch penguins players
7) Take "C" off Ovie's jersey, not cuz he isn't a great player, cuz he isn't great captain

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Sure, they could have not re-signed their core and let them go via free agency. I remember when Buffalo had a core who couldn't quite finish. They changed up the core. I don't think that worked out very well for them.

You know what does work out well? Tanking. Seems to be the theme of cup-winning teams. That tells me the ELC system is too favorable to teams of the top 1-2 picks.

I think Washington is the 2nd best team in the league. Pittsburgh's just the best.

They didn't really have a choice as Drury and Briere signed elsewhere during free agency. Later on, they never had a team that got close.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I've always thought the ONE PIECE they needed more than anything was a two-way C to handle the Crosbys, Malkins, Girouxs and Stamkos of the world. Backstrom is a solid offensive No. 1 on his own, but he doesn't have the defensive game of Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron, etc. Scoring has never been a HUGE issue; they're good enough to win series with their collective forward group, but they don't have the defensive horses needed to win. I happen to think biting the bullet when players like Ryan Kesler, Eric/Jordan Staal, Travis Zajac, etc. were available in their primes would have made a slight difference.

That, and they acquired Kevin Shattenkirk to play him on the third pairing to hide Brooks Orpik's deficiencies. That's more to do with Barry Trotz. They have everything else you need honestly.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00