What do the Caps need in order to get to the next level?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It may just be a mental team makeup thing. The chemistry may just not be there for playoff style hockey and that's not really an easy change to make. I'm inclined to say the Caps are overall better positioned for the next 2-3 years than the Pens or Rangers are, so maybe it clicks here soon. I really think their window is about 3 more years because the Jackets/Flyers/Canes may be coming

Pittsburgh over the next 2 years is laughing - as long as they can secure a decent #3C. After that things will get a little interesting with Guentzel needing a new contract, as well as trying to keep their depth and whatnot. After 3 years Murray will need a raise on his 3.75m deal. But certainly over the next 2 years Pittsburgh is in great shape.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
It may just be a mental team makeup thing. The chemistry may just not be there for playoff style hockey and that's not really an easy change to make. I'm inclined to say the Caps are overall better positioned for the next 2-3 years than the Pens or Rangers are, so maybe it clicks here soon. I really think their window is about 3 more years because the Jackets/Flyers/Canes may be coming

:laugh:

That's wishful thinking on your part. This is likely the last best chance the Capitals have to win in the Ovechkin era.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
They check off all the boxes except for potting goals when it matters. The Caps are pretty much proof that there's no formula to winning a cup.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Nicklas Backstrom is too busy being underrated to not **** the bed every year, he's tried this new thing this year where he's fine but this isn't a top line center on a cup winning team.

He's sixth in playoff points, only behind Getzlaf and the 4 Pittsburgh guys feeding off of each other. He's basically been as good as in the regular season. :dunno:

Generally the top guys in Washington haven't been the problem, it's been the offense of the bottom six drying up, plus Holtby not playing up to standard. It's tempting for people to say the bottom six underperforms due to bad leadership, but that's frankly superficial ********. They're pros, they have to be better, clean and simple.

Last edited:

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL

don't they have like 10 UFAs this coming offseason?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
IMO, either someone pounds into Ovi's head that in the playoffs you leave nothing behind and sacrifice your body with every shift...or get a bunch of skilled guys like Radulov who leaves everything on the ice.

Caps are an amazing team and seemingly no holes this year, but it just seems as if, when other teams, better or worse, moves up to another gear and fight for every puck, the Caps just seems to...well, not have that extra gear.

I.e. Caps needs more playoffs Getzlaf's (not regular season Getzlaf) and less Pacioretty's.

Well, in my opinion anyhow. I'm sure that's not all they need but it would probably increase their odds of winning quite a bit.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How about we wait unless/until the Caps are actually eliminated before we conduct a postmortem on them? :laugh:

This thread makes me think of one of those premature threads that ends up getting bumped a month later when the Caps win the Cup.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
IMO, either someone pounds into Ovi's head that in the playoffs you leave nothing behind and sacrifice your body with every shift...or get a bunch of skilled guys like Radulov who leaves everything on the ice.

Caps are an amazing team and seemingly no holes this year, but it just seems as if, when other teams, better or worse, moves up to another gear and fight for every puck, the Caps just seems to...well, not have that extra gear.

I.e. Caps needs more playoffs Getzlaf's (not regular season Getzlaf) and less Pacioretty's.

Well, in my opinion anyhow. I'm sure that's not all they need but it would probably increase their odds of winning quite a bit.

I don't think that's an issue. Ovechkin is probably injured and probably has been since Toronto. And I've thought he's looked off for a lot of this year, his skating hasn't been as explosive. Now it's completely flat.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
How about we wait unless/until the Caps are actually eliminated before we conduct a postmortem on them? :laugh:
Tell me about it. The Caps have not exactly been badly out played or anything, if Fleury comes back to earth I can easily see Washington push this to a game 7 then anything can happen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tell me about it. The Caps have not exactly been badly out played or anything, if Fleury comes back to earth I can easily see Washington push this to a game 7 then anything can happen.

Exactly.

It might be one thing if the Pens had the series advantage AND shot differential advantage in the series. But for most of the series it's been Fleury's stellar play and the Pens' offense burying pretty much all their Grade-A chances that's lead to the 3-1 lead.

I mean, obviously the Pens are in the driver's seat only needing to win one more game while the Caps have to win three straight. But it's not a lopsided series like the final score might suggest.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
I don't think that's an issue. Ovechkin is probably injured and probably has been since Toronto. And I've thought he's looked off for a lot of this year, his skating hasn't been as explosive. Now it's completely flat.

I agree, I think the Kadri hit let more of a lasting impact than he may admit

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They need more of everyone being on the same page at the same time. Carlson had 12 points last year, this year he's got 2. Burakovsky is again not scoring. He's got 3 goals and 6 points in 33 career playoff games. Last year, Holtby put up great numbers, Kuznetsov didn't. This year, Kuznetsov is showing up, but Holtby's numbers are down. Not just from the regular season, but also his career playoff averages.

If one guy is going, the other isn't. They never seem to have enough guys in sync to get through the middle rounds. The top guys win you the Cup, but the depth gets you through the playoffs. Even back in 2010, Semin and Green combined for 59 goals and both averaged over a point per game in the regular season. Then they have 0 combined goals, and 5 combined points in 7 playoff games.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Apart from Holtby they've actually been pretty good this year. Switch goalies and its 3-1 Washington.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
It's become a joke in this neck of the woods. Always say to each other - will they make it past the second round?

They have changed just about everything in the last 5 years with the exception of some core players. If this year is another early exit then maybe it's time to change the core.

It was Green's fault.
It was GMGM's fault.
It was BB's fault.

And so on and so on and so on.

Sure, they could have not re-signed their core and let them go via free agency. I remember when Buffalo had a core who couldn't quite finish. They changed up the core. I don't think that worked out very well for them.

You know what does work out well? Tanking. Seems to be the theme of cup-winning teams. That tells me the ELC system is too favorable to teams of the top 1-2 picks.

I think Washington is the 2nd best team in the league. Pittsburgh's just the best.

Last edited:

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
On paper, they seem to have it all... is it merely luck?

To be honest, the new playoffs format is terrible. The #1 and #2 seed should not be facing each other in round 2.

True, but if your goal is to win the Cup it doesn't really matter when you play the best team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad