What did y'all think of Latandresse?

source

Jul 13, 2008
I'd put Greening in his spot if Greening's line didn't look so awesome.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I swear, I read some of these comments, I and know most of the people have never played a sport in their life, and probably just sit on a computer 18 hours a day, acting like experts on every subject ever thrown at them.

Do you know how hard it is to miss a couple of weeks of hockey, then go back in at 100%, let alone 2 years off/on...

I expect to see so many silly threads the first couple of weeks....

Most 82 game seasons, with full training camps, your team doesn't get in sync until 10-15 games. They had a week of what 5 practises, no exhibition games, after a massive layoff.

Jorec

Mar 4, 2011
I thought he looked a touch rusty and out of step, but not nearly as bad as I expected after being out for so long. If this is as bad as he gets after two years of almost not playing at all then I'm pretty pleased. If all goes well then he's going to get better and more consistent as he finds his game again.

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I swear, I read some of these comments, I and know most of the people have never played a sport in their life, and probably just sit on a computer 18 hours a day, acting like experts on every subject ever thrown at them.

Do you know how hard it is to miss a couple of weeks of hockey, then go back in at 100%, let alone 2 years off/on...

Most 82 game seasons, with full training camps, your team doesn't get in sync until 10-15 games. They had a week of what 5 practises, no exhibition games, after a massive layoff.

I'm sure glad we have you to keep us all in line.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Yes it's a bit early to criticize anyone's game or get carried away with how good they played.

I thought he had our best scoring chcnes in the first half of the game but took 2 stupid penalties and was caught out of postion a few times. These things are expected though, during your first game of the year.

StayThirstyMyFriend

Aug 9, 2009
I've heard it from other players before... it takes a while to get used to Alfie. He makes plays you wouldn't expect.

The problem is Turris who completely sucks in the faceoff circle. The line comes on for an offensive zone faceoff and they have to chase the puck into their own end. By then its time for a line change. If Turris wins the occasional faceoff and sends the puck to the point while Gui makes his way to the net, we'd see how good he can be. Latendresse has a nose for the net and the size to make his way there. It was great to see him plaster Jets D into the boards on a couple of occasions.

Another guy who has a definite nose for the net is Silf. I'm thinking we're going to see good things from this kid.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Look at his game logs of previous seasons, he seems like a slow starter and will eventually get hot.

Vikes88

@CrushSoda
Jan 19, 2013
Victoria, BC
We can chalk it up to "rink rust" as much as we want, and I'm fine with that, but there's no escaping that he didn't inspire anybody to believe he'll better than he ever has been.

If you look at his stats over his career, ignoring his last two seasons in Minnesota where he hardly played, Latendresse has never been a very good player. He is an extremely average player, and I don't expect anything more than extremely average here in Ottawa. He's still got 4 or 5 years to grow, but if he ends the year with either 20 points or hurt the whole way through, he'll have met my expectations.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The fact that a player gets open for scoring chances early in the season is a big plus in my books. Lets give the guys a few games to adjust to new line mates please. If you had never watched Alfie play you'd have a hard time figuring out what position he plays on the line. He's a puck hound whose often first on the puck carrier so the only thing Lats can do is head for the net when they have possession and get in the passing lanes when they don't. Last night Turris lost close to 70% of his face offs so it makes it harder to judge their offensive chemistry as a line. The next few games should tell the tale much better. If it doesn't work Alfie will get frustrated and I would expect Stache to get the word in private.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

relax. I know you're mad because Kuba's gone but this is just a discussion. We've been hockey starved for months! Let us analyze every aspect of the game.

of course brah. #1 Sick ****.

We can chalk it up to "rink rust" as much as we want, and I'm fine with that, but there's no escaping that he didn't inspire anybody to believe he'll better than he ever has been.

If you look at his stats over his career, ignoring his last two seasons in Minnesota where he hardly played, Latendresse has never been a very good player. He is an extremely average player, and I don't expect anything more than extremely average here in Ottawa. He's still got 4 or 5 years to grow, but if he ends the year with either 20 points or hurt the whole way through, he'll have met my expectations.

Ya this is kinda of the point I was trying to make. I'm hopeful things will change. MM for example has exceeded expectations. Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right the right partners and chemistry combined with injuries being fully healed. I think the long off season could really benefit GL because he finally had time to rest without any pressure to return. Same with Regin.

Prajna

Jun 10, 2008

So you are judging him on when he was 18, 19, and 20 years old? That is not fair either. Most players take 2-3 years in the league to reach their peak. Brian Murray says 400 games. Lats has now played 315. He was brought into the league too early by the Habs, but still scores 16 goals the two years in a row, at age 18-20. Then scored at a 20 goal pace the next year, at 21. Then he goes to the Wild and scored 25 in 55 games and you want to ignore that? I am not saying he is going to be great, but I think he has proven he can be at least a 20-25 goal scorer, if healthy. He has missed a lot of time in the past two years, but he is still only 25.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Big body in the top 6. Can never have enough of those. Was in some really good scoring positions and could have easily scored 2 yesterday. Liked his game but I was really excited with Methot's play.

Still don't love the methot/foligno deal and would rather have foligno and kuba but no complaints yesterday.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
His timing was off like most of the leagues. If he is in good shape like reports have stated he will probably have his best season. Montreal and Minnesota were not as deep as us at this point. On our team he will be allowed to fit in and be the saviour like in Montreal or be on a team full of 2nd and third liners like he was on in Minny.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
He looked to me like he's big on complaining to the ref and hoping for a call. I'm not interested in that. I'd rather see a guy working hard every shift and fighting through clutching & grabbing. If the official calls a penalty great, if not you move on and work hard. I'm not seeing that from Latendresse.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
He didn't look very good but Spezza didn't either so.... I'll wait a few more games before saying any thing too bold.

xking23

Petersson
Jun 22, 2009
Peterborough
I liked his style. Yes he took stupid penalties, but so what. His offense was fine, he made some good defensive plays. A big body player that can get 30-40 points in a full year is fine by me. He doesn't need to become a superstar or better than he has been on other teams. He just needs to stay healthier than he has been on other teams.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I prefer slow start showing he can get to the right place vs. big start only to fizzle the rest of the year ala Filatov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad