What did Winnipeg do differently from us?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Wasn't Morrisey suspended in the first round?

Well Morrissey is a top shut down guy. Not really comparable

But then again 1 point in 13 games is probably about right.

Could go either way on this one.

Your call.

Thanks for bringing it up

Reactions: Bluelines

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Here they are headed to the WCF having beat some pretty good teams. They look legit.

When they inherited Atlanta’s roster it wasn’t anything special and they were a bottom feeder, just like Toronto. Yet they appear to be in a much better position than us. Why?

Simple, Peg is on year 7 of their rebuild, leafs are on year 3. Also all six 1st rounders from 2011-2016 have been homeruns. Leafs homerun list is more spread out:

09 Kadri
12 Rielly
14 Nylander
15 Marner
16 Matthews

but finally on the right trajectory.
Leafs have had more success early on in the build with more consistency so its only a matter of time until our team fills out.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well Morrissey is a top shut down guy. Not really comparable

But then again 1 point in 13 games is probably about right.

Could go either way on this one.

Your call.

Thanks for bringing it up
Oh I get it, this was your petty attempt at a shot rather than real discussion. Funny how you constantly cry about others doing this.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Oh I get it, this was your petty attempt at a shot rather than real discussion. Funny how you constantly cry about others doing this.

I’m pretty sure I don’t cry. If I did I would be dehydrated and I friggin had to get up twice last night.

I mean I do cry, in particular at the father son have a catch scene in Field of Dreams. But not enough to dehydrate myself.

So no.

You can play it serious or have fun. Your choice.

Reactions: Bluelines

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I’m pretty sure I don’t cry. If I did I would be dehydrated and I friggin had to get up twice last night.

So no.

You can play it serious or have fun. Your choice.
Its an easy choice, I'll chuckle at your garbage and call it when I see it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Its an easy choice, I'll chuckle at your garbage and call it when I see it.

If looking at “garbage” brings joy. Whatever gets you through.

Never saw anyone banned from landfills but you keep on truckin’

Just for the record, I offered discussion points on overall player performance, grit and toughness as well as the suspension.

Where did you focus on?

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Its an easy choice...

I know right?

If he can regain the trust of being a defensive player and continues to produce at 8 point paces, and cross checks people in the head, he could be our shut down D. Our Josh.

We could then rely on Centres who don’t need good wingers to make them look better.

Situation solved.

@IPS will be happy

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
In 1 season.

Ottawa went from a goal away from the Stanley cup finals to finishing near the bottom

New Jersey went from finishing near the bottom to the playoffs.

Winnipeg went from missing the playoffs and looking confused and lost with scattered play to quarter finals (at least) and looking and playing like a well structured team

Edmonton went from second round playoffs to bottom 5...

Do I need to go on? There is nothing to worry about. We are pathing correctly. Our kids are developing nicely. We have good defenders on the way and really we were 1 period away from beating Boston. I think the players all need to play on the same page. Like all the teams left in the playoffs. Winnipeg, Vegas, Washington, Tampa. They all are dialed in on the same page playing to how their coach wanted, and communicating.

I felt that the Leafs only in short periods would play up to the structure that Babs wants. Now that could be do to their core youth? Or maybe it's a clash of personalities or the lack of a dedicated leader? I dunno.

But that's the problem and the difference that will, if solved, take this team to the next level.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
In 1 season.

Ottawa went from a goal away from the Stanley cup finals to finishing near the bottom

Winnipeg went from missing the playoffs and looking confused and lost with scattered play to quarter finals (at least) and looking and playing like a well structured team

Do I need to go on? There is nothing to worry about. We are pathing correctly. Our kids are developing nicely. We have good defenders on the way and really we were 1 period away from beating Boston. I think the players all need to play on the same page. Like all the teams left in the playoffs. Winnipeg, Vegas, Washington, Tampa. They all are dialed in on the same page playing to how their coach wanted, and communicating.

I felt that the Leafs only in short periods would play up to the structure that Babs wants. Now that could be do to their core youth? Or maybe it's a clash of personalities or the lack of a dedicated leader? I dunno.

But that's the problem and the difference that will, if solved, take this team to the next level.

Yup. i find it silly people are handing the division to Boston.Tampa for years to come. Is washington really that good? This is the least talented Caps team in 2-3 years yet they are getting it done.

Reactions: BVG

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In 1 season.

This makes it sounds close than it was. In the deciding period we looked like we didn't even belong in the same league as Boston. Men playing with boys is what it looked like.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yup. i find it silly people are handing the division to Boston.Tampa for years to come. Is washington really that good? This is the least talented Caps team in 2-3 years yet they are getting it done.

Are people really handing them the division? If so I agree, that is dumb.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don' think we can follow the Winnipeg model to be honest. They drafted a lot of size Schifele, Laine, Trouba and traded for Biffy and Statsny. We went for small and lots of wingers with an obsession for skill.

We have Reilly they have Biffy, Myers and Trouba. They have size up front, we have none.

I think our rapid rise in the offense dept caused us to make the playoffs but not all the pieces(defense, size) are in place yet.

Reactions: Pookie

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
This makes it sounds close than it was. In the deciding period we looked like we didn't even belong in the same league as Boston. Men playing with boys is what it looked like.

You make it sound like we were not a 105 point team who could skate with any of the top teams in the league.

It was 1 bad period.

And lots can change by the start of next season.

Winnipeg didn't do anything different or "better" They are all playing as a great team. As a collective unit under the same coach with the same systems that had them miss the playoffs last year.

Leafs could easily, with the same team, either play as a structured collective and we take the next step or they could all play as individuals and we miss the playoffs.

And no, that's not on the coach. that's on the players, and those that lead the team in the dressing room.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You make it sound like we were not a 105 point team who could skate with any of the top teams in the league.

It was 1 bad period.

That's very interesting, here's my rebuttal:

4-0

That's with everything on the line. 4-0. In one period!

And lots can change by the start of next season.

Sure. Let's hope it does.

Winnipeg didn't do anything different or "better" They are all playing as a great team. As a collective unit under the same coach with the same systems that had them miss the playoffs last year.

LOL. Playing like a great team is different and better.

Leafs could easily, with the same team, either play as a structured collective and we take the next step or they could all play as individuals and we miss the playoffs.

And no, that's not on the coach. that's on the players, and those that lead the team in the dressing room.

I doubt we miss the playoffs.

I don't believe I said anything about who it's on. Whoever it's on it was awful. I really hope I never see anything like that ever again.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know right?

If he can regain the trust of being a defensive player and continues to produce at 8 point paces, and cross checks people in the head, he could be our shut down D. Our Josh.

We could then rely on Centres who don’t need good wingers to make them look better.

Situation solved.

@IPS will be happy
Fill me in, what center of ours needs good wingers to make them look good?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
How lazy/dumb is Boston for not just walking over the Leafs in 4 games then? I mean they clearly needed the rest, why not just turn on the switch after game 2 and close it out?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How lazy/dumb is Boston for not just walking over the Leafs in 4 games then? I mean they clearly needed the rest, why not just turn on the switch after game 2 and close it out?

If that's a fair question than I suppose this is also a fair question:

If the Leafs are a 105 point team that skates like the wind, why didn't they bother showing up when the season was on the line?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

If the Leafs are a 105 point team that skates like the wind, why didn't they bother showing up when the season was on the line?
The season wasn't on the line in Game 5 or 6 for the Leafs?

Reactions: Community

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The season wasn't on the line in Game 5 or 6 for the Leafs?

Do you always answer a question with a question?

Seriously though, all I'm saying that while it was only one period, it was a hell of a lot more than "just one period". I'm not saying that it defines the entire season but I am saying that people who want to say we're on a par with WPG (or even Boston for that matter) and that the way we lost game 7 doesn't matter because "it was only one period" are kidding themselves and trying too hard to make excuses. It was a very important period of hockey, in the same way as it was the last time we lost to Boston in the playoffs. I don't take any comfort in the fact that we "almost" won then or now because the truth is, we didn't "almost" win.

Also, comparing it to game 5 or 6 isn't quite the same thing. you know how it goes, game 5 the pressure is off, everyone figures we're toast so you go out there and you're loose etc. Game 7 though, that's another story. The pressure was on and it was obvious we just weren't up to the challenge and in the end, that showed in dramatic fashion.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

They did. Had a good 40 minutes and then the veteran team shut the Leafs down and a few players had a lacklustre 20 mins.

Our oldest core player is 27 (Naz) and most would argue he's one of the least valuable pieces of our core. There are lots of ups and downs.

As mentioned before, why didnt WPG show up last year? Maybe because their core is still fairly young (albeit significantly older than ours) and their group continued to grow from one year to the next (mainly Hellebuyck, Scheifele, and Connor).

Why are people so pessimistic about our team? This should be the most optimistic you've been in this millenium.

Reactions: BVG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad