News Article: What did the Senators get out of trading EK65

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It's a 2-way street, David Pastrnak got a 6.67 CH after his ELC and just had 70 pts (34 goals) in 75 Games.

And Marner just had 94 pts in 82 Games before signing his extension

I mean points aren't everything but they are a big part of negotiations.

As much as we love Brady, he isn't in that tier of forwards

Pasternak did nothing close to what Brady did in his first two seasons. Brady stats line totally outperformed his.

and this is my point - if Tkachuk gets 70 points this year (like Pasta did) and he already has two 20 goals seasons in year 1 and 2, $8 million is a bargain signing and he won’t sign it.

If Tkachuk puts up 70 points his year he’ll be close to $10 million, it’s not emotion, it’s math

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
well I guess the big difference here is Chabot signed his extension during his ELC and Tkachuk doesn’t want to, so different circumstances to start.

so you don’t like the thought Tkachuk might score 4o, might want Marner type money, might not be ready to sign a team friendly deal like I’m reading here so you take a shot at me. Good for you. Very thoughtful
1. The off season is far from over. Maybe Tkachuk signs an extension before the season.

2. If Brady scores 40 goals this year at 20 years old then hell yeah, give him Marner money, it will be a deal.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
well EK created the marketplace by saying he was going to get market value here or somewhere else. When he said that lots of GMs said ‘I’ll pay that stud top dollar to play for me’ and the end line was in sight.

I don’t think it was a secret EK was getting traded so Dorions ‘I’ll never trade him’ comment, (which He did say when he said he’d also sign after the EC playoff run did nothing to the up his trade value)

I think the secret was the extent of injuries, and a high risk for a good recovery.

As I said before, I hope EK is better now after being off ice for almost a year.

I have turned the page.

Reactions: Frank8 and Xspyrit

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
1. The off season is far from over. Maybe Tkachuk signs an extension before the season.

2. If Brady scores 40 goals this year at 20 years old then he’ll yeah, give him Marner money, it will be a deal.

If Dorion could sign Brady at 8 years x $8 he’d be driving to St Louis right. Tkachuk doesn’t want to sign because he wants to put up a monster season on the top line and get his $$$$$

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think the secret was the extent of injuries, and a high risk for a good recovery.

As I said before, I hope EK is better now after being off ice for almost a year.

I have turned the page.

He has very little motivating him at this point in his career. The team sucks, they have no prospects, he’s started a family, and signed his last contact.

I bet he gets bought out at some point.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Points mean dollars; leadership is hard to quantify.

Brady will be paid more than his "statline" because all everything he brings but there's a limit

Pasternak did nothing close to what Brady did in his first two seasons. Brady stats line totally outperformed his.

and this is my point - if Tkachuk gets 70 points this year (like Pasta did) and he already has two 20 goals seasons in year 1 and 2, $8 million is a bargain signing and he won’t sign it.

If Tkachuk puts up 70 points his year he’ll be close to $10 million, it’s not emotion, it’s math

I'd be ready to take bets on that. And I guess a lot of people would be lining up for that if you make it interesting $ wise lol

Tkachuk extension AAV will be closer to 7.0 than 10.0, unless he goes over PPG next season like Marner did which I doubt.

Pastrnak scored 70 pts (34 goals) in 75 GP and looked like an elite talent doing it. That got him a 6.67 extension. Why would Tkachuk get over 10.0 if he miraculously had the same statsline? Particularly in a pandemic affected NHL market?

You won't find a lot of people agreeing with you here. Heck, 1 poster would already be a start.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Going to be tough for Brady to put up a lot of points when he’s playing with a Centre of Tierney/White/Anisinov

Reactions: Tuna99

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'd be ready to take bets on that. And I guess a lot of people would be lining up for that if you make it interesting $ wise lol

Tkachuk extension AAV will be closer to 7.0 than 10.0, unless he goes over PPG next season like Marner did which I doubt.

Pastrnak scored 70 pts (34 goals) in 75 GP and looked like an elite talent doing it. That got him a 6.67 extension. Why would Tkachuk get more than 3.0 more?

Particularly in a pandemic affected NHL market?

You won't find a lot of people agreeing with you here. Heck, 1 poster would already be a start.

check out Mikko Rantenen stats, Two season in and Brady has better comparables. Had a big 3rd season in the league, Brady could easily do what he did in his 3rd year. Signed for $9.5

like I said, the fanbase isn’t emotionally ready to handle Tkachuk asking for $10 million.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
If Dorion could sign Brady at 8 years x $8 he’d be driving to St Louis right. Tkachuk doesn’t want to sign because he wants to put up a monster season on the top line and get his $$$$$
Daddy tkachuk will not allow Brady to get f***ed that’s for sure.

Reactions: Tuna99

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
check out Mikko Rantenen stats, Two season in and Brady has better comparables. Had a big 3rd season in the league, Brady could easily do what he did in his 3rd year. Signed for $9.5

like I said, the fanbase isn’t emotionally ready to handle Tkachuk asking for $10 million.

Wait, what's the thing with "emotionally ready to handle" Tkachuk raise? Do you think I am struggling with that? lol. Everyone knows and should know by now that my approach is very rational. I am trying to tell you that you are completely overstating what Tkachuk could be worth on his next contract.

If Tkachuk asks over 10.0 it will suck and we'll be forced to trade him at a "discounted price" because the team acquiring him has to be ready to "overpay" him. I don't see many teams ready to do that, if any. There is many other good players to pay and only big superstars get paid like that.

Again, Rantanen is another pretty bad comparable... He had 84 pts in 81 GP then 87 pts in 74 GP PRIOR to sign his extension

The MOMENT an extension is signed is an information you absolutely have to consider. Cap Friendly has that info.

Now, IF Brady puts up that kind of numbers, then yes you may be right, but until then it's HIGHLY unlikely.

A better comparable would be his brother Matthew... 3 years x 7.0 and that was depite putting 77 pts in 80 games (something Brady will have to prove to be able to). Maybe MT didn't go long term because he thinks he can do even better but that's the kind of range the Tkachuks are in.

Guys like Rantanen, Marner, Pastrnak, Matthews, etc are in another tier. Everyone knows that

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
look at Toronto’s cap friendly and tell me Tkachuk isn’t trending towards a Matthews/Marner type of negotiation. These guys got their legend coach fired and are making huge money $10 million +. If Nylander is paid $7.5 Tkachuk is worth at least $9 on a bad day

this idea that Tkachuk is going to fit the fans and Melnycks offer is ridiculous.

Right. But you said we can't keep our stars. That only applies to UFA. There's no evidence we can't keep young players and that's my point. The league is changing towards the young players. Not signing big money UFAs is becoming a trend

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
He has very little motivating him at this point in his career. The team sucks, they have no prospects, he’s started a family, and signed his last contact.

I bet he gets bought out at some point.
You could be right but I think he'll still be driven to win. SJ still has some very good pieces and if they're grouped with rebuilding west coast teams and they see some bounce back from their stars and some quality play from Dubnyk, anything can happen in a shortened season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
well EK created the marketplace by saying he was going to get market value here or somewhere else. When he said that lots of GMs said ‘I’ll pay that stud top dollar to play for me’ and the end line was in sight.

I don’t think it was a secret EK was getting traded so Dorions ‘I’ll never trade him’ comment, (which He did say when he said he’d also sign after the EC playoff run did nothing to the up his trade value)

Where was the lineup of GMs looking to trade assets for him when he was available?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Right. But you said we can't keep our stars. That only applies to UFA. There's no evidence we can't keep young players and that's my point. The league is changing towards the young players. Not signing big money UFAs is becoming a trend

i never said we can’t keep our stars. I said that losing EK still has a lingering effect over the franchise because ownership hasn’t proven anything has changed payroll wise, and I need to be shown and ownership has to prove they can keep this team together.

The team payroll in real dialled is $50 million and it was $50 last year too.

melncyks coming I’m out of a pandemic and said he wants 6000 fans a game. If he gets Zero fans as expected, where is Ottawa at next year? Another $50 million in payroll. Where does that get is?

my point is we have an owner who hasn’t proven to anyone he has the money to keep the team together. EK said the owner expects his players to play below market value. Tkachuk won’t play below market value, I expect his value to go beyond $8 million, and if it does will that be problem? They want him to be Captain, fave of the franchise, All Star and community leader for $8 million - sounds like a team friendly deal to me.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

2. If Brady scores 40 goals this year at 20 years old then hell yeah, give him Marner money, it will be a deal.
Exactly! Because if he does that he is undoubtedly the best power forward in the game and a top 10 forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
i never said we can’t keep our stars. I said that losing EK still has a lingering effect over the franchise because ownership hasn’t proven anything has changed payroll wise, and I need to be shown and ownership has to prove they can keep this team together.

The team payroll in real dialled is $50 million and it was $50 last year too.

melncyks coming I’m out of a pandemic and said he wants 6000 fans a game. If he gets Zero fans as expected, where is Ottawa at next year? Another $50 million in payroll. Where does that get is?

my point is we have an owner who hasn’t proven to anyone he has the money to keep the team together. EK said the owner expects his players to play below market value. Tkachuk won’t play below market value, I expect his value to go beyond $8 million, and if it does will that be problem? They want him to be Captain, fave of the franchise, All Star and community leader for $8 million - sounds like a team friendly deal to me.

Did EK ever say that?

He signed a long term deal. And he outperformed it, no question. But that's not the team's fault. That's actually what you're trying to do is assemble a team outperforming contracts. He signed long term. Got security. Salaries escalated. It became a huge bargain. What did you want them to do? Rip it up? Sign him long term on the next one and overpay to make up for it?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

You are way off in your evaluations

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
of Melnyck can pay a $4 million signing bonus next summer, I’d be impressed.

We added $15M in salary this off season. We grabbed a top UFA. We are over the floor. At some point you're going to run out of things to be shocked about.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Did EK ever say that?

He signed a long term deal. And he outperformed it, no question. But that's not the team's fault. That's actually what you're trying to do is assemble a team outperforming contracts. He signed long term. Got security. Salaries escalated. It became a huge bargain. What did you want them to do? Rip it up? Sign him long term on the next one and overpay to make up for it?

yes he did say that.

Good for Ottawa for making a good deal. The point remains, are players in Ottawa only welcome on team friendly contracts?

we will see. This is why the legacy of the EK trade still haunts Ottawa. Tearing to down is the easy part. Keeping it together will be hard. And the first big test will be Brady.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad