News Article: What did the Senators get out of trading EK65

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Senators new strategy is trade away all upcoming UFAs for magic beans. Let’s see how that works out over the next 5 years.
Senators dodged the bullet with Turris, EK and Duchene but lost big ( so far) on Stone.

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
This is way too premature guys. Yes, Stutzle has all the potential in the world but there's still slim to no (NHL) results from this trade.
Stutzle - potential 1st liner
Norris/Balcers - middle-6 players
Tierney - I want him off the team asap (just a "limp" player)
Sogaard/draft picks- magic bean/mystery
Karlsson - Ottawa's best ever player
Karlsson - was Ottawa's best ever player. But he's not the same guy and won't be close to it in 3-4 years down the road

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Senators dodged the bullet with Turris, EK and Duchene but lost big ( so far) on Stone.
and Zibby.

As a small Canadian market team, I understand that the Senators cannot compete at the cap with the major markets that are swimming in cash. The team needs a strategy that will hopefully keep them somewhat competitive and not a consistent bottom dweller. Building through the draft, development of young prospects, astute trades for low-medium salary players,and trading away expensive UFA players is one strategy to try to do it. That is what we are seeing.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
and Zibby.

As a small Canadian market team, I understand that the Senators cannot compete at the cap with the major markets that are swimming in cash. The team needs a strategy that will hopefully keep them somewhat competitive and not a consistent bottom dweller. Building through the draft, development of young prospects, astute trades for low-medium salary players,and trading away expensive UFA players is one strategy to try to do it. That is what we are seeing.

Where did the 2020 3rd go ? Was it Sokolov ? Or a piece of Klevin ?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
and Zibby.

Good post.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Great trade in hindsight and I know I was wrong about it based on how it's turned out. Once Tierney is inevitably traded and we see how some of these guys like Stutzle and Norris turn out, the Karlsson trade will be complete.

Hopefully they keep this whole hoopla on their mind going forward. Ottawa can't sign star players with UFA leverage looming, it's just not in the cards, so just move them before it comes to that and rinse and repeat forever.

Time for a new bold strategy of a constantly recycling rebuild.
I'm a big fan of this strategy. Parity is dead, but this could help level the playing field a bit.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Great trade in hindsight and I know I was wrong about it based on how it's turned out. Once Tierney is inevitably traded and we see how some of these guys like Stutzle and Norris turn out, the Karlsson trade will be complete.

Hopefully they keep this whole hoopla on their mind going forward. Ottawa can't sign star players with UFA leverage looming, it's just not in the cards, so just move them before it comes to that and rinse and repeat forever.

Time for a new bold strategy of a constantly recycling rebuild.

I think we still have a SJ 2021 2ND round pick left ?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The trade is still a lose to the Ottawa franchise because it shows we can’t keep star players.

right now this fan base is thinking we’d rather have a young and healthy Tkachuk for $8 over a hurting EK for $11.5. If Brady gets His 40 goals this year and wants a huge raise, how will we handle that? It’ll divide the fans base because Ottawa fans are conditioned To think players don’t deserve market value and if they want it, they dont have the right attitude to play in Ottawa - and that’s what is so dangerous. The owners cheapness has created such an insecurity within the fan base that we turn against our star players when they need contracts. It’s very small town, it’s very Canadian, it’s cheap - and it’s a losers mentality.

Karlsson is going to bounce back and be a top 5 NHL player next year, he’s far from done.
EK is a player who can almost take you to a Cup by himself - talent like that is rare. There isn’t a talent like him in the NHL right now.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The trade is still a lose to the Ottawa franchise because it shows we can’t keep star players.

right now this fan base is thinking we’d rather have a young and healthy Tkachuk for $8 over a hurting EK for $11.5. If Brady gets His 40 goals this year and wants a huge raise, how will we handle that? It’ll divide the fans base because Ottawa fans are conditioned To think players don’t deserve market value and if they want it, they dont have the right attitude to play in Ottawa - and that’s what is so dangerous. The owners cheapness has created such an insecurity within the fan base that we turn against our star players when they need contracts. It’s very small town, it’s very Canadian, it’s cheap - and it’s a losers mentality.

Karlsson is going to bounce back and be a top 5 NHL player next year, he’s far from done.
EK is a player who can almost take you to a Cup by himself - talent like that is rare. There isn’t a talent like him in the NHL right now.

I maybe missing the point. Tkachuk is not going to be looking for a big contract that takes him into the twilight years of his career. He’ll get paid for his peak years. Just like we did for EK.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think that's a croc of shit

We're talking about a small group of players for starters that were all hitting ufa at close to the same time. Sure there were budget decisions made, but also hockey decisions made that reflect the market.

And it will happen again. We've got a massive group of guys coming thru the system and by 2025 or so we are going to have issues with guys hitting their UFA years.

Star players moving on is becoming more commonplace. Locking up coming out of ELCs is the league trend.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I maybe missing the point. Tkachuk is not going to be looking for a big contract that takes him into the twilight years of his career. He’ll get paid for his peak years. Just like we did for EK.

EKscontract was maybe the best value contract in the NHL for every second he played for $6.5 million so it’s not a good comparable. The best player in the game don’t play for $6.5 million anymore.

Tkachuk isn’t signing a team friendly deal. The fans are ready to pay him $8 mill - if he’s a point per game and Ottawa makes the playoffs and he goes beast (like EK) does he settle for $8 million? Nope.

we love Tkachuk now because he’s making $1.5 million and is awesome, let’s see where we are at this summer. Look at the reaction to Duclair being released because he wanted to much money - it’ll be 1000x that when Brady wants his market value.

the point remains Ottawa real payroll is $50 million, not $60 million. If Brady wants 20% of that, will the fans like him as much as we do today. It’ll hit that insecure nerve Ottawa fans have, and it won’t go well.

Dorion promised Ottawa he’d sign EK, expectations never met. Dorion talked about Brady’s contract, he better get him signed and it better go smoothly, or the knives will be out

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think that's a croc of shit

We're talking about a small group of players for starters that were all hitting ufa at close to the same time. Sure there were budget decisions made, but also hockey decisions made that reflect the market.

And it will happen again. We've got a massive group of guys coming thru the system and by 2025 or so we are going to have issues with guys hitting their UFA years.

Star players moving on is becoming more commonplace. Locking up coming out of ELCs is the league trend.

look at Toronto’s cap friendly and tell me Tkachuk isn’t trending towards a Matthews/Marner type of negotiation. These guys got their legend coach fired and are making huge money $10 million +. If Nylander is paid $7.5 Tkachuk is worth at least $9 on a bad day

this idea that Tkachuk is going to fit the fans and Melnycks offer is ridiculous.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
look at Toronto’s cap friendly and tell me Tkachuk isn’t trending towards a Matthews/Marner type of negotiation. These guys got their legend coach fired and are making huge money $10 million +. If Nylander is paid $7.5 Tkachuk is worth at least $9 on a bad day

this idea that Tkachuk is going to fit the fans and Melnycks offer is ridiculous.
There’s no way he’s getting 9 million dollars especially in this landscape. Come on.

Reactions: Matsens15

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

i don’t have the info but I think Keith Tkachuk made $10 million when he played for Arizona, and that was in the 90s. I don’t think Brady comes in and says ‘ahh geez guys thanks for this generous offer of $8 mill, I’ll sign it. I just want to play hockey and make the fans happy.’

part of the Tkachuk negation will be ownership proving they will pay for a winner to show Brady they are serious about max payroll, and Brady answer to that will be ‘if your serious, then start with me.’

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There’s no way he’s getting 9 million dollars especially in this landscape. Come on.

you haven’t seen his 20-21 stats so how can you say that. Would you rather have Mitch Marner or Brady Tkachuk? Marner makes $10.5 coming out of his ELC.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
EKscontract was maybe the best value contract in the NHL for every second he played for $6.5 million so it’s not a good comparable. The best player in the game don’t play for $6.5 million anymore.

Tkachuk isn’t signing a team friendly deal. The fans are ready to pay him $8 mill - if he’s a point per game and Ottawa makes the playoffs and he goes beast (like EK) does he settle for $8 million? Nope.

we love Tkachuk now because he’s making $1.5 million and is awesome, let’s see where we are at this summer. Look at the reaction to Duclair being released because he wanted to much money - it’ll be 1000x that when Brady wants his market value.

the point remains Ottawa real payroll is $50 million, not $60 million. If Brady wants 20% of that, will the fans like him as much as we do today. It’ll hit that insecure nerve Ottawa fans have, and it won’t go well.

Dorion promised Ottawa he’d sign EK, expectations never met. Dorion talked about Brady’s contract, he better get him signed and it better go smoothly, or the knives will be out

Did you write this post today? Or did you just swap in "Tkatchuk" for "Chabot" from a post you got wrong a couple of year's ago?

Reactions: variable26

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Did you write this post today? Or did you just swap in "Tkatchuk" for "Chabot" from a post you got wrong a couple of year's ago?

well I guess the big difference here is Chabot signed his extension during his ELC and Tkachuk doesn’t want to, so different circumstances to start.

so you don’t like the thought Tkachuk might score 4o, might want Marner type money, might not be ready to sign a team friendly deal like I’m reading here so you take a shot at me. Good for you. Very thoughtful

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Dorion pumped up the market price for EK by saying “they would never trade him”. Worked well for him.

You need to understand that it was a hard move for the fan base but a great move for the team going forward.

Tkachuk will be excited to get his big payment here soon.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
well I guess the big difference here is Chabot signed his extension during his ELC and Tkachuk doesn’t want to, so different circumstances to start.

so you don’t like the thought Tkachuk might score 4o, might want Marner type money, might not be ready to sign a team friendly deal like I’m reading here so you take a shot at me. Good for you. Very thoughtful
Bad, overly aggressive viewpoints get mocked. It is the HF way.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
you haven’t seen his 20-21 stats so how can you say that. Would you rather have Mitch Marner or Brady Tkachuk? Marner makes $10.5 coming out of his ELC.

It's a 2-way street, David Pastrnak got a 6.67 CH after his ELC and just had 70 pts (34 goals) in 75 Games.

And Marner just had 94 pts in 82 Games before signing his extension

I mean points aren't everything but they are a big part of negotiations.

As much as we love Brady, he isn't in that tier of forwards

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion pumped up the market price for EK by saying “they would never trade him”. Worked well for him.

You need to understand that it was a hard move for the fan base but a great move for the team going forward.

Tkachuk will be excited to get his big payment here soon.

well EK created the marketplace by saying he was going to get market value here or somewhere else. When he said that lots of GMs said ‘I’ll pay that stud top dollar to play for me’ and the end line was in sight.

I don’t think it was a secret EK was getting traded so Dorions ‘I’ll never trade him’ comment, (which He did say when he said he’d also sign after the EC playoff run did nothing to the up his trade value)

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Most people would choose Marner. The guy could put up 100 points. BT will never do that but will bring toughness, grit and leadership with maybe 70 points. Points mean dollars; the other stuff not so much.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It's a 2-way street, David Pastrnak got a 6.67 CH after his ELC and just had 70 pts (34 goals) in 75 Games.

And Marner just had 94 pts in 82 Games before signing his extension

I mean points aren't everything but they are a big part of negotiations.

As much as we love Brady, he isn't in that tier of forwards
Points mean dollars; leadership is hard to quantify.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad