News Article: What did the Senators get out of trading EK65

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

64a5ff9c45633350c14f396f95d78912_w200.gif

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I mean yeah.. thanks to them winning the lottery. Replace Stuetzle with Dylan Holloway and that return looks like a big mumbo-jumbo of average assets save Norris.

I do agree that the Karlsson contract is looking real bad for them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Senators new strategy is trade away all upcoming UFAs for magic beans. Let’s see how that works out over the next 5 years.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I mean yeah.. thanks to them winning the lottery. Replace Stuetzle with Dylan Holloway and that return looks like a big mumbo-jumbo of average assets save Norris.

I do agree that the Karlsson contract is looking real bad for them.

Do you feel the same way about the Duchene trade (from Colorado)?

If if's and but's was candy and nuts....

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Stuztle makes it worth it. Maybe even Norris. the rest are pretty blah. Demelo was probably the next best player and we couldn't keep him and I expect the same with Tierney at some point.

We got pretty lucky cause without Stuztle it probably turns out pretty bad (I believe karlsson will return to form)

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Chris Tierney will probably return some assets at some point too and the 2021 2nd is still to be determined. Goes without saying, Stuetzle is a massive get for this team and Norris has the potential to be a big impact player. Hated losing EK but when I consider all aspects of the trade, including what we'd be paying him if he was still here, it's hard to say this isn't a big net positive for the Sens.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
For San Jose, they got a playoffs run and signed Karlsson who may or may not be still be a superstar.
For us, we got a treasure load for the last year of UFA Karsson.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
If Stutzele and Norris turn out then its a win for sure, Karlsson's contract with the Sharks is looking horrible right now

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Just keep doubling down. Will make the crow later on that much more tasty.
News Article: - Karlsson trade is the gift that keeps on giving for rebuilding Senators

Thanks for sharing your opinion. We'll revisit at the end of the season to see which one of us is laughing.
They won't be eating crow, they'll be making excuses for why they were actually right at the time despite getting proven wrong as time goes on.
Ding ding ding ding.

This is the correct response.
haha, this is so accurate. This is actually happening in the other thread right now.
Around the NHL XXXIX

oof....

next time, don't tell other people they'll be eating crow when there's a chance you'll be the one eating crow.

Reactions: Sweatred

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It’s addition by subtraction. Not having Karlsson for 11.5mil a year is enough of a return let alone any player we received lol.

Big Karlsson fan here but yeah that contract would be crippling for the Senators. That's why it's weird to read comments like the return would be garbage if it wasn't for Stutzle...

It's weird because the same posters would tell you that player X (producing just under what EK does but at a much lower salary) is overpaid and has negative value, you need to attach a 1st rounder with him to be able to get rid of the contract (even if less term than EK)

Reality is that EK is not worth anything close to 11.5 at his current level of play. He is as overpaid (more or less) as other overpaid players. I never really understood how the HF logic works anyway

That being said, I really hope that EK bounces back and regain his form, tired to see good players get diminished because of injuries. It's hardly in their control.

Reactions: Random Comment

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
pointless to look at the trade in a vacuum. Can argue for or against the return, but its about the direction of the team and the organizations habit of treating star players like crap

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Great trade in hindsight and I know I was wrong about it based on how it's turned out. Once Tierney is inevitably traded and we see how some of these guys like Stutzle and Norris turn out, the Karlsson trade will be complete.

Hopefully they keep this whole hoopla on their mind going forward. Ottawa can't sign star players with UFA leverage looming, it's just not in the cards, so just move them before it comes to that and rinse and repeat forever.

Time for a new bold strategy of a constantly recycling rebuild.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This is way too premature guys. Yes, Stutzle has all the potential in the world but there's still slim to no (NHL) results from this trade.
Stutzle - potential 1st liner
Norris/Balcers - middle-6 players
Tierney - I want him off the team asap (just a "limp" player)
Sogaard/draft picks- magic bean/mystery

Karlsson - Ottawa's best ever player.

Reactions: NB613

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille