What decision has your team made that you just cant forgive them for

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Instead of firing Dave Tippett last summer the Coyotes promoted him and gave him a five year extension. They also extended his idiot coaching staff. All of them are horrible at their jobs and all should have been fired. The Coyotes franchise is extremely poorly run.

SportsPhan8

Nov 24, 2013
New Jersey
I can live with it given everything else going the Pens' way but if they'd drafted one of the many better players still available on the board at 8OA in 2012, that would have been pretty effing sweet.

After scoring 40 goals in '12, I read a lot of angry Pens' fans that were pissed at moving James Neal a couple years later. He didn't fare very well this year, so I guess it was a success for them.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
For the Flames recently

- Letting Hartley go
- Getting almost nothing for the core when they rebuilt. Iginla, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Kiprusoff for next to nothing

All time

- the 96 renovation. Took them years to recover from that and now watching them screwing up the new arena project makes me wonder if it is history repeating
- getting nothing for the core of the dynasty team. People like to talk about the Gilmour trade but they did that five or six times

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Drafting Derrick Pouliot instead of who EVERYONE in the world thought they were going to take, Forsberg.

That decision changed the entire calculus and long term plans of the Pens:

- They may not have wasted a 1st rounder on Perron
- They wouldn't have been so flush in Dmen, and they would have kept Despres who may never suffer that concussion
- They may not have needed to trade for Kessel (who has been amazing, but still cost a lot of assets)

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
For the Sabres, it has to be matching the Vanek offer sheet. He wasn't worth the money, and he wasn't worth passing on 4 Edmonton 1st rounders for.

For me it would actually be not getting Drury and Briere signed during the 06-07 season when they had the chance, and less about the Vanek offer sheet match. But I blame the old regime of Quinn and Galisano for that blunder. Thats actually my answer to the OP's question.

Regier was basically forced to match the offer sheet after watching Chris and Danny walk for nothing. I do agree however that it would have been nice to have the 4 firsts, but who knows what Vanek does with that Edmonton team? Maybe he scores 45 goals each of those 4 years and helps Edmonton slide into the playoffs, drastically changing the draft position.

It was a bad situation all around though. The 07-08 season was such a bummer.

Edit- and the slug logo. God those jerseys suck.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Being honest, I forgive the Leafs for everything they do :laugh:

Things I hate:

1. The Leafs could've had Bobby Orr, but Punch Imlach ****ing rejected him. I wasn't alive but I have no respect for Imlach for this very reason.

2. Harold Ballard. Nothing more needs to be said. Again I wasn't alive but he ruined the history of my team.

More recently:

1. Not re-signing Mats Sundin. My favourite player growing up. This is the one thing I'll never forgive them for.

2. Signing Clarkson. I was furious that day and obviously it only got worse when I found out he can't complete a stride without falling.

3. Trading Kessel. I know it was for the best and I would do it again. Just after all he went through, it would've been awesome to watch Phil win in Toronto.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Never finding a respectable backup between 2005-2013 and running Kiprusoff into the ground by playing him 70+ games a season. We might've been able to hold onto him for a couple more seasons and keep him playing at a high level if management wasn't so incompetent.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
From a Blues fan..

-Losing Stevens
-Trading Oates
-Trading Shanahan
-Trading Cujo
-Hiring Mike Keenan
-Not firing Keenan soon enough
-Letting Hull walk
-Trading Pronger
-Picking Johnson #1 instead of Toews, Backstrom, Kessel or Giroux
-I'm sure more will come.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Scotty freakin bowman wanted to build a winner in Toronto and the leafs turned him down because of an ego driven power struggle between peddie and tenembaum. He then went to Chicago and look how they've fared.

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I can forgive them for pretty much anything but the closest to unforgivable ones for Ottawa are drafting Brian Lee (much worse than Alex Daigle - any team would have drafted Daigle), the string of bad rental players they went through in the 2000's - Brooks Laich for Peter Bondra being the highest profile. Lots of off-ice stuff too. The infamous Centurion thing, getting rid of the old uniforms and just generally crapping all over any traditions that we have, including anthem singer Lyndon Slewidge. The owner's public musings don't help either - Matt Cooke's forensic investigation being the most laughable. Could be worse, nothing of Harold Ballard proportions.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Trading Bobby Orr.

As a Bruins fan you should know that Orr was not traded by Boston. What happened was that he got duped by his " friend " and agent Alan Eagleson into signing with Chicago as a Free Agent in 1976. The Bruins actually offered Bobby a part-ownership of the team but since that would not have put any money into Eagleson's pockets he never informed Bobby of the Bruins offer. Orr ended up signing a 5 year deal with Chicago for $3 million. Think about that for a minute - the GOAT left for about $ 600,000 a season. :amazed:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Let's see...
130809162325-gretzky-pocklington-single-image-cut.jpg
gretzky.jpg

mactavish-lowe-howson.jpg
rsz_mact_eakins.jpg

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I would have said the whole McTavish/Eakins thing if we didn't end up with McDavid. But we wouldn't have gotten Connor without them.

Also would have said Lowe offersheeting Vanek had the Sabres not matched and we gave up 4 1st rounders. We wouldn't have been able to come back from that.
I'd like to say trading Pronger, but I understand why it had to be done.
I'll settle on the Horcoff contract.

BackVechkin

Dec 19, 2014
Forsberg for Erat

Everyone knew it was a bad trade except Mcphee and surprisingly he still has an NHL job. Hopefully he can repay the organization by taking Orpik, but I doubt it.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
2007-2015, inclusive.

More seriously, Eakins has to top the list.

I would gladly trade sucking for 10 years for McDavid. Especially in an era dominated by 3 teams.

What do the Rangers have to show for themselves for being a playoff contender every year since the lockout?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
1) Giving Seabrook his current contract

2) Drafting Skille ahead of Kopitar

Both of the GMs that contributed to this great run have had some facepalm moments.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
The first round of the 2003 draft.

Yikes. Michalek and Bernier instead of guys like Suter, Parise, Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, and Perry.

Then they follow that up later in the draft with Hennessy right before Bergeron then Carle right before Weber. Thank god that they ended up getting Pavelski out of it.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Drafting Magnus Paajarvi over Ryan Ellis. I was literally yelling at my TV Ellis!Ellis!Ellis!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad