What current player would you accept for the number two pick?

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
If Buffalo would offer their 2017 first rounder (#8) and their 2018 1st (probably top 10 pick) I would seriously consider moving our pick if the Flyers staff believes the gap between the player they would be selecting and Necas or Petterson is very small.

It seems to me those were the players they were targeting anyway so I assume they know them well. Problem is the addition of Patrick or Hischier likely pulls Buffalo away from a top-10 selection next year.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
It seems to me those were the players they were targeting anyway so I assume they know them well. Problem is the addition of Patrick or Hischier likely pulls Buffalo away from a top-10 selection next year.

Even with Nico buffalo is picking top 10.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Buffalo would offer their 2017 first rounder (#8) and their 2018 1st (probably top 10 pick) I would seriously consider moving our pick if the Flyers staff believes the gap between the player they would be selecting and Necas or Petterson is very small.

That would be worth considering as well because the 2018 Draft is already being compared to 2015 and 2003 in terms of elite depth. Buffalo is headed for another top 10 pick next season unless they get a major "1st year with a new coach bump."

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
There's going to be more threads like this before draft day comes. We already have two with just over 24 hours. Honestly the same would have happened even if this was last year & Matthews/Laine were the prizes instead.

The reality is high picks have basically become untradeable. The teams that own them want established pieces & the teams inquiring don't really go for that. It's essentially why a top 5-10 pick hasn't been traded in years.

Personally I don't get why some people are up in arms over threads like this. The whole point of a message board is to discuss various talking points. The flyers are going to do whatever they want with the pick and I find topics like these to be at least some sort of interesting conversation rather than continually talking to death about Nico vs Nolan when it isn't the flyers decision.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Since this is just speculative fun, I would take either Eichel or Laine and throw in Konecny.

That would be really hard for me to pull the trigger on before seeing Nico/Nolan play in the NHL.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would consider the following trade...

TO TAM
- 2nd overall
- Hagg

TO PHI
- Drouin
- 14th overall

That said, I only do this because I think Drouin can be a very special offensive player (80-85 point talent) and they would also get a very good player at 14 (only 1 spot lower than their original pick).

Plus, with Provorov, Gostisbehere, Sanheim, Morin, Myers, etc. ... Hagg is a commodity that can be moved IMO.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Ya, any proposal that does not directly solve the remaining problem of a top flight scoring C going forward simply isn't in the best interest of the club.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Can't see trading the pick for a winger...

That's the issue - it's hard to pass on a #1C for a winger. I would say, unless they feel the winger is a superior talent and the player they can get at #14 can make a larger impact than Hagg.

I mean, I honestly think Drouin has the chops to be a Gaudreau/Kane type talent... not as great as Kane but on par or better than Gaudreau. You're talking world-class wingers here, not just a "decent winger."

My gut feeling is the Flyers are in love with the thought of drafting Patrick - he's got "Flyer" written all over him. If the Devils take him at 1, I don't think the Flyers will love the idea of Hischier as much. That's just me.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah....we have just been gifted a top 6 C that should be a #1C. We are not trading that away. And I am from Halifax who loves Drouin. Drouin might outscore whoever we pick, but I don't think it will be a 20 point swing. I think it will be a 5-10 difference but our pick will be better defensively, play a position of need, and play a more important position.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
What makes Patrick have "flyers" written all over them? The last player the flyers have drafted that screams flyers is Morin. This broad street bullies stuff needs to be laid to rest.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Look at their recent drafts. They've taken a lot of bigger safe players with two-way ability.

I wouldn't call Nico undersized and from what the little I've read/noticed he is a two way player. If both players hit their potential the flyers have a home run either way.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't call Nico undersized and from what the little I've read/noticed he is a two way player. If both players hit their potential the flyers have a home run either way.

Patrick's still bigger & more filled out to this point. He's probably more adavanced of the two & really I don't see anyway he doesn't play center at the next level. Hischier could end up being a winger.

I think stylistic Patrick is closer to guys like Kopitar & Couturier who Hextall really covets those types.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hischier could end up being a winger.

This is another thing I've been considering. If Hischier gets the Alex Galchenyuk treatment (flip flopping C/W but mostly playing W) then not trading the pick + Hagg for a true, high-end W who is proven like Drouin + 14th overall would end up being a huge non - trade.

If the Flyers are convinced that Hischier is a can't miss #1C then they should stand pat. But Drouin has shown what he can do on NHL ice - down the stretch he was one of the most dynamic talents in the entire NHL. He steps in tomorrow on a top line and immediately makes the Flyers better.

And I am fairly confident the player we could get at 14 would have more of an impact (and ultimately fill a better need) than Hagg.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Patrick's still bigger & more filled out to this point. He's probably more adavanced of the two & really I don't see anyway he doesn't play center at the next level. Hischier could end up being a winger.

I think stylistic Patrick is closer to guys like Kopitar & Couturier who Hextall really covets those types.

I can definitely see what you mean. Patrick definitely has the size and will probably put on a few more healthy pounds. Kind of a bean pole to be 198 at 6'3".

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Problem with trading the #2 pick in a deal for Drouin, is he's due a hefty bump in pay and you're only guaranteed to have him for 4 more seasons. That #2 pick could make an impact as soon as next year and you'll have him for at least 7 seasons. That #2 pick is likely going to fill the biggest organizational need as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The 2nd overall pick and his 3 years of entry-level contract are not being traded for a winger about to get a huge raise. Its not getting traded at all.

Think, McFly.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah....we have just been gifted a top 6 C that should be a #1C. We are not trading that away. And I am from Halifax who loves Drouin. Drouin might outscore whoever we pick, but I don't think it will be a 20 point swing. I think it will be a 5-10 difference but our pick will be better defensively, play a position of need, and play a more important position.

And be cheaper for years..and not a *********

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think there's a realistic trade out there.

It's already been pointed out that there's huge value in drafting a top young player who is cost-controlled for several seasons.

Plus, with Hischier and Patrick, you are talking about an elusive #1C prospect which are pretty much impossible to acquire without drafting.

Drouin is a wing and I think Hischier and Patrick project to be at least as good or better while playing a more valuable position. So I wouldn't trade the pick for Drouin.

MacKinnon you may actually be able to get, but something is wrong there. He should be better than he is and it scares me that he's not and that he's the top center on such a terribly performing team. So I'm not going to get 4 years older and an immediate $5M cap hit.

Barkov, Eichel, Drasaitl, etc., you aren't going to be able to get. So for all intents and purposes, the #2 pick ain't going anywhere if I'm GM.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I'm not a Drouin guy so I would never consider trading the pick for him. He's 22 with attitude issues, without a contract, and he's no doubt looking to get paid.

I would do it for MacKinnon, but Colorado would not entertain it so there's that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Problem with trading the #2 pick in a deal for Drouin, is he's due a hefty bump in pay and you're only guaranteed to have him for 4 more seasons. That #2 pick could make an impact as soon as next year and you'll have him for at least 7 seasons. That #2 pick is likely going to fill the biggest organizational need as well.

This covers 100% and 360 degrees of this matter - a big no to Drouin for #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad