What current player would you accept for the number two pick?

Jun 1, 2010
So who is the most controversial (worst as viewed by others) player that you would take in a trade straight up for our number 2 overall pick? For example, everyone would take McDavid for the pick. Not very controversial. Would you take Corey Perry at his current age, contract, and skill level? How about Taylor Hall?

I'm basically interested to see how much value other Flyers fans put on this pick in terms of current player trade value.

Being as controversial as I can, I would accept Drouin straight up, but I have trouble feeling strongly about it.

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
So who is the most controversial (worst as viewed by others) player that you would take in a trade straight up for our number 2 overall pick? For example, everyone would take McDavid for the pick. Not very controversial. Would you take Corey Perry at his current age, contract, and skill level? How about Taylor Hall?

I'm basically interested to see how much value other Flyers fans put on this pick in terms of current player trade value.

Being as controversial as I can, I would accept Drouin straight up, but I have trouble feeling strongly about it.

Depends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No chance I trade 2nd overall for Drouin. Keep in mind whoever we take is cost-controlled for a while. At least his first 3 seasons he will make under $1 million per. Drouin is about to get a huge raise. Elite centers are also far more difficult to find than elite wingers. We are already strong on the wings now and in the future.

Corey Perry has to be a joke right? Lol.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
It would have to be another young 1C (but not franchise-type)--right? (Which raises the question of why another team would do it....)

That basically leaves Mackinnon, Barkov...?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It would have to be another young 1C (but not franchise-type)--right? (Which raises the question of why another team would do it....)

That basically leaves Mackinnon, Barkov...?

Yeah it would need to be an under 25 1C

MacKinnon is about the only realistic name to discuss because his name is out there in rumors.

I wouldnt do it though. He lacks IQ and isnt all that well-rounded. Great speed and hands but thats about it.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2010
don't get me wrong, I'm pumped to get a young player with a lot of potential at a low cost. I just know that people often tend to overvalue the potential picks above known quantities in current players. I have no desire to see this pick tradded though. :) the "first line under 25 centers" response seems reasonable.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
All year we as fans complain we need a genuine 2nd center and when falls into our laps people want to trade him away? lol We could keep him and not have have to trade any of our stud D prospects until we see which ones pan out. Then go from there maybe?

Jun 1, 2010
All year we as fans complain we need a genuine 2nd center and when falls into our laps people want to trade him away? lol We could keep him and not have have to trade any of our stud D prospects until we see which ones pan out. Then go from there maybe?

:) you've misunderstood. I don't want to trade him. I want to know how much people value the pick in terms of current players.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
No chance I trade 2nd overall for Drouin. Keep in mind whoever we take is cost-controlled for a while. At least his first 3 seasons he will make under $1 million per. Drouin is about to get a huge raise. Elite centers are also far more difficult to find than elite wingers. We are already strong on the wings now and in the future.

Corey Perry has to be a joke right? Lol.

The idea of #2 for Drouin crossed my mind as well. Like you, I wouldn't do it for mostly the same reasons that you mentioned. Additionally, I like Cooper as a coach. When a young guy locks horns with a coach the way that Drouin did, I'm not impressed by that player. It may be immaturity but it also maybe too big of an ego.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The player I'd want is likely not someone who would be traded for the #2.

Additionally, teams have success by having these picks and keeping them, not by pawning them off.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jack eichel

Eichel would be an easy yes from us. He would be ahead of Patrick and Hischier if drafted the same year.

If you mixed the level of prospects in the last 3 Drafts..

1 - McDavid
2 - Matthews
3 - Laine
4 - Eichel
5 - Patrick / Hischier

Jun 1, 2010
Eichel would be an easy yes from us. He would be ahead of Patrick and Hischier if drafted the same year.

If you mixed the level of prospects in the last 3 Drafts..

1 - McDavid
2 - Matthews
3 - Laine
4 - Eichel
5 - Patrick / Hischier

Good answer... this is largely how I would think of it. I would be willing to accept certain veterans as well.

Frickley

why am i watching this
Apr 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I keep the pick, but for the fun of it, if we wanted to sell the farm and go for a win-now cup run, I'd do it for a #1 RHD (Doughty, Pietrangelo) to pair with Provy.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

There's going to be more threads like this before draft day comes. We already have two with just over 24 hours. Honestly the same would have happened even if this was last year & Matthews/Laine were the prizes instead.

The reality is high picks have basically become untradeable. The teams that own them want established pieces & the teams inquiring don't really go for that. It's essentially why a top 5-10 pick hasn't been traded in years.

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.
So who is the most controversial (worst as viewed by others) player that you would take in a trade straight up for our number 2 overall pick?

James Van Riemsdyk

tumblr_inline_mhww91Ucgv1qz4rgp.gif

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
If Buffalo would offer their 2017 first rounder (#8) and their 2018 1st (probably top 10 pick) I would seriously consider moving our pick if the Flyers staff believes the gap between the player they would be selecting and Necas or Petterson is very small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad